Windows 10: Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network

Discus and support Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm John and I'm unable to share a folder on my PC with a specific person on a different PC on our home workgroup network. I can share the folder with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sgooter, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Sgooter Win User

Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network

I'm John and I'm unable to share a folder on my PC with a specific person on a different PC on our home workgroup network. I can share the folder with Everyone, but Windows fails to find the specific user on our home network. We have 3 Win 10 PCs on our home network: MaryPC (user account is Mary), JohnPC (user account is John), and TheaterPC (user account is JM), and all are visible on File Explorer on all PCs. The Workgroup name is Golden. We do not use any log-in credentials to access any of these PCs; i.e. no usernames nor passwords are required nor do they exist.
    I'm able to share my Music, Pictures, and Video folders with Everyone (with R/W permissions) in the Golden Workgroup. However, I am unable to share my Medical folder (for example) with Mary only. When I try to share this folder with a specific person (by trying to add Mary), Windows responds that it is unable to find user Mary. In trying to add Mary to the list of specific persons, I've tried numerous combinations of Mary and/or Golden/MaryPC/Users/Mary to no avail. This same problem exists on MaryPC and on the TheaterPC when trying to share a folder from those PCs to a specific person on another networked PC. Sharing a folder with Everyone works fine across the Workgroup, but sharing a folder with a specific person/user on the network is hitting a brick wall. Any solution ideas?

:)

Sgooter, Aug 2, 2016

2. I couldn't access a shared folder between the laptop and the PC?- Windows 10.

Original Title - Shared folder abruptly stopped

I have a problem networking a laptop running Windows10 Home, with a desktop running Windows10 Pro. I had no problems with the network when upgrading to Windows10 on either machine, then abruptly it stopped whereas I couldn't access a shared folder between
    the laptop and the PC ?

The folder has everyone access and since I'm running a workgroup, both laptop and PC are on the same workgroup as well.

StraightWorld, Aug 2, 2016
  3. What is the diffs between Homegroup and Workgroups, How are they different and are they the same as a network

Hello,

Homegroup - A homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share files and printers. Using a homegroup makes sharing
    easier. You can share pictures, music, videos, documents, and printers with other people in your homegroup.

Workgroup - In computer networking, a workgroup is a collection of computers on a local area network (LAN) that share common resources and
    responsibilities. Workgroups provide easy sharing of files, printers and other network resources. Being a peer-to-peer (P2P) network design, each workgroup computer may both share and access resources if configured to do so.About.Tech

Smittychat., Aug 2, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

It should be \\marypc\mary

Samuria, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Sgooter Win User
    Thanks Samuria, but this didn't work. Still says "Windows was unable to find \\MaryPC\Mary"

Sgooter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network - Similar Threads - Folder Sharing Problem

2. File and folder Sharing on Ethernet Home Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File and folder Sharing on Ethernet Home Network: I am able to share files and folders.When I go to another computer and try to map a drive to the share that I created on the first computer I can't get past the Network Credentials prompt.I have setup the network credentials on all computers to be my username and the same...
  3. Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network: I have a workgroup server and shared a folder. Granted a user A to have full permission. This was done at the server.From network, when A access the folder and try to grant permission for user B by clicking the Find Now, A cannot view any users that created in this workgroup...
  4. Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network: I have a workgroup server and shared a folder. Granted a user A to have full permission. This was done at the server.From network, when A access the folder and try to grant permission for user B by clicking the Find Now, A cannot view any users that created in this workgroup...
  5. Windows 2019 Workgroup - granting shared folder permission from network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Windows 10 JUN2020 Network shared folders WorkGroup.

Windows 10 JUN2020 Network shared folders WorkGroup.: HI, Trying to RE share a folder on my WIN 10 Pro machines No Home or 32 bit versions, no Homegroup involved. All "Domain" related answers, I state now, are useless in my situation. I don't want to start handling domain admin privileges about just for a network shared...
  7. File and Folder sharing on a win10 home network

File and Folder sharing on a win10 home network: I have three Win10 PCs, two connected by ethernet and a laptop on WiFi. all are running current versions of Win10 with updates. One of the desktops has a second HD. This drive is shared with Everyone Full Access. While it appears as a drive on the computer in the network on...
  8. Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup

Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup: I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro, version 18363, they are on a peer-to-peer network. For Both Computers A and B, In the network sharing options for private networks, I have tuned on file and print sharing and turned on Network discovery, and automatic set up of...
  9. sharing folders on home network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sharing folders on home network: After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-folders-on-home-network/56cc4ace-5759-47cb-b514-9c86e98307d9"
  10. Network/Workgroup Sharing

Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...