Windows 10: Folder that was once shared w/W7 is not after update

Discus and support Folder that was once shared w/W7 is not after update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I have a folder on my W10 laptop that I used to be able to r/w to and from my W7 computer. Yesterday, W10 performed an update, and since then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by riffwraith, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Folder that was once shared w/W7 is not after update

Hello

I have a folder on my W10 laptop that I used to be able to r/w to and from my W7 computer. Yesterday, W10 performed an update, and since then I can not see the W10 folder on my W7 computer, even tho the folder is still shared. Can someone please advise as to what to do

Thanks in advance.

:)

riffwraith, Dec 11, 2017

2. Network drives on a home network

I was able to share files between both computers until a recent windows 10 update. My laptop, which is windows 7, and my desktop, which is windows 10 are both in the same workgroup. My W10 desktop can still read files from the W7 laptop, but after the
    W10 update, my W7 laptop can no longer access the files or the printer on the W10 desktop. Both computers are in the same homegroup. All of the folders that I want shared on the W10 desktop are still shared. Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

ChristopherMuir, Dec 11, 2017
  3. RussThoms Win User
    Is it possible to dual boot to w7 after w10 install w/o removing w10?

Original Title: Oldbeard

UPG to W10=>failure of Turbocad. Tried starting w/ older os. Is it possible to dual boot to w7 after w10 install w/o removing w10?

RussThoms, Dec 11, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Folder that was once shared w/W7 is not after update

Hey riffwraith,
    1. What version of W10 do you have ?
    2. Can you access the W10 share from the W7 PC using \\SERVER_NAME\SHARE_NAME OR \\IP_ADDRESS\SHARE_NAME ?

Eagle51, Dec 11, 2017
  5. Hi

1. I am pretty sure the last update was to 1079

2. If I type L: \\192.168.1.105 (which is hoe my laptop is set), then no I can not.

Thank you.

riffwraith, Dec 11, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    BTW, I assumed your using a regular network share and not home group .... is that correct ?

If you're using a regular network share ....

1. I would double check the network settings on the W10 PC ... they may have gotten reset on the update.
    See this tutorial ... Turn On or Off Network Discovery in Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials

2. I would also double check the share & ntfs permission on the shared folder. Make sure Everyone has full control for both.

3. If you using a 3rd party firewall, I would double check it.

Note: If none of that works and you haven't already, I would shut down both PCs ... Start the W7 PC first, then the W10 PC.

Eagle51, Dec 11, 2017
  7. Hi, and thanks.

1. Net discovery os on

2. Yes, everyone has full control

3. I do not have a 3rd party fwall

Tried starting in diff orders.

Saw this thread:

For anyone unable to view network shares after 1709 update

Can't run gpedit.msc - W10 tells me there is no such thing.

Thank you.

riffwraith, Dec 13, 2017
  8. Eagle51 Win User

You're probably running Win10 Home, which doesn't have gpedit *Sad

Just to be clear
    1. From your Win7 PC you're trying to access the Win10 share using ... \\WIN10_IP_ADDRESS\SHARE_NAME
    2. What is the error that you get ?

Eagle51, Dec 13, 2017
  9. You're probably running Win10 Home, which doesn't have gpedit

AHA! *Smile

1. From your Win7 PC you're trying to access the Win10 share using ... L: \\WIN10_IP_ADDRESS\SHARE_NAME

Yes - and also from the W7 Network window (My Computer/left panel under Computer drives). This worked fine before both ways, and does not after the update. Well, guess what - I used Acronis to restore my OS (pre-update image), and it works again just fine. Which seems to mean that the update changed something re: sharing.

Will keep my laptop as is for now - thank you for the help! *Cool

riffwraith, Dec 13, 2017
  10. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Dec 13, 2017
  11. Jimmyb Win User
    I have W10 home, and my desktop and laptop are shared, however Network Name changing etc are not available on Home, and I have variable results seeing each computer over network, and now I use homegroup for my shares!!

Jimmyb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder that was once shared w/W7 is not after update - Similar Threads - Folder was once

2. Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop: I have an upto date W10 desktop which can see and work with files on a W7 laptop. The W7 laptop can see the desktop under the Network but when I try to access it, I am asked for a username and password to connect to the desktop. However I do not have a password for the...
  3. Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop: I have an upto date W10 desktop which can see and work with files on a W7 laptop. The W7 laptop can see the desktop under the Network but when I try to access it, I am asked for a username and password to connect to the desktop. However I do not have a password for the...
  4. Sharing W10 files and folders with a W7 laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Upgrade from W7 to W 10 Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from W7 to W 10 Error: How can i solve this Issue below: 0x8007042B - 0x2000D migrate_data safe_os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-w7-to-w-10-error/ffd0cd37-10ff-44dd-8073-f685a670e633
  6. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  7. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  8. Slow LAN access to shared folders w7 > w10

Slow LAN access to shared folders w7 > w10: Hello. I have an older PC (Phenom 1, crappy nForce chipset) that was running slow under Win7. I have installed Win10 from scratch (x64) and it's running better but when trying to access some shared folders with another Win10 computer, it takes a long time and it usually...
  9. dual boot? w7 and w 10

dual boot? w7 and w 10: hi, is it possible to dual boot w7 and w 10?. I'm currently running w7 and i got offer for w10 already, my question is it possible to dual boot it and i want genuine w10 as well. i tried use media creation control and windows update but both failed at step 3 (75% overall) and...
  10. W7 to W 10 again

W7 to W 10 again: Four tries to install Windows 10 from DvD will not complete.The install get to 34%. Then switch Screen starts then goes back to Windows 7. If I install from DVD I made from ISO Windows 10 installs OK.I can not Activate Because I did not do a upgrade first.Any way to fix...