Windows 10: Folder titles disappear

Discus and support Folder titles disappear in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One feature of my recently installed PC with Win 10 (replacing 15 years with XP) is this light-grey-on-white title text for inactive folders. It's not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Terrypin Win User

Folder titles disappear

One feature of my recently installed PC with Win 10 (replacing 15 years with XP) is this light-grey-on-white title text for inactive folders. It's not doing my eyesight any favours.

But worse, it disappears altogether here after some time, maybe 15 mins.

Folder titles disappear [​IMG]

Do others get this behaviour?

More important, is there a setting change I can make to fix it please?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Jul 3, 2016
  2. ZeyanLu Win User

Folder in an external USB hard disk disappeared after upgrading to Windows 10.

Original Title: folder in an external USB NTFS hard disk , disappeared

I use a portable USB HD ( 2T size, NTFS file system ). backup some files and folders to it.

then upgrade my laptop to windows10 ( previous is windows 7)

then connect the USB hard disk to my win10 laptop, a folder disappeared.

How to recovery the disappeared folder ?

ZeyanLu, Jul 3, 2016
  3. RMarsch Win User
    Disappearing Titles

So I got the WP7 (Quantum) free from AT&T. All I had to do was blog about it Folder titles disappear :) (They discontinued the program, sadly) I used to have the iPhone (gave it to my son) and I have to say, I think I love this phone more then the iPhone!!!!! Never
    thought that was possible!

One thing though...sometimes my tiles go blank, does this happen to anyone else? And on the app page, there is just a black square with a white circle in the middle! Does not happen often, but the last time it did, I had to hard restore it.

RMarsch, Jul 3, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Folder titles disappear

You can improve the appearance and readability a little by changing the colour of the inactive title bar. To do this follow the tutorial below:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Have a try with different colours until you find one that works better for you.

philc43, Jul 3, 2016
  5. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks Phil, I'll try that when I get back to PC. But if that only shows how to change title background, hard to see how any colour could be better than white?

On day 1 I did change the active title bars to blue, from the default white.

So is there no way to change text font style or colour independently?

Terrypin, Jul 3, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    The colour of the text of the inactive title bar is by default a faded version of the active title bar text. You can change this text colour as follows:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Hope fully you can find a combination of colours that works better for you. A lot of this is personal preference and can depend on factors such as whether you have any colour blindness, whether you monitor is correctly set up, etc. etc.

philc43, Jul 3, 2016
  7. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks Phil. The registry currently shows Inactive Text set to 0 0 0, which is BLACK. Yet as you see from my screeenshot, the title 'Startup' is light grey! Something not right somewhere? What colour are others' inactive titles?

Maybe this is down to font style and/or size in some way? All I did with that word BLACK above was to make its style bold, yet it plainly looks blacker.

BTW, what font is being used here in this composition window? I assumed Arial, but this is Arial 3 and this is Arial 2 but neither are the same as the original, i.e. before I started changing sizes. And when I select some of the original, such as 'Maybe this is down...', the font type is not shown!

--

Terrypin, Jul 3, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

Folder titles disappear

When the inactive and active are set to be the same colour the inactive uses a faded version. Try changing the colour using the colour table reference given in the tutorial and experiment. The inactive title bar text colour may always be a faded version of what you select.

I have no idea about the fonts and sizes and how this forum has been setup to display, the default is probably something other than Arial.

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Folder titles disappear

1. Folder titles disappear - Similar Threads - Folder titles disappear

2. Disappearing folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappearing folders: I have just noticed that all my folders from the D Drive have disappeared - Windows 10. I've done a search on the D and C drives to no avail. I've looked at the Hidden Folders tick option but this hasn't made any difference. Can anyone help, please. I need any responses to be...
  3. Disappearing folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing folders: I have just noticed that all my folders from the D Drive have disappeared - Windows 10. I've done a search on the D and C drives to no avail. I've looked at the Hidden Folders tick option but this hasn't made any difference. Can anyone help, please. I need any responses to be...
  4. Disappearing folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disappearing folders

Disappearing folders: My works files in windows 10 disappeared in my Toshiba laptop. I have searched other folders. no luck. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disappearing-folders/77cd9404-d78c-4c64-b5c1-85cd958cb398
  6. Titles on folders

Titles on folders: Hi, my brother has a problem. He was outside, he came in house and started computer. When he did everything was normal unitl background showed up. Somehow it changed it's color by itself. And he can't see names of folders, he can see names on background but not in map. What...
  7. Disappearing Folder

Disappearing Folder: Has anyone double clicked on a folder and have the folder and its contents disappear from the computer - did not go to recycle bin? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disappearing-folder/1886209e-a577-4cfc-8831-540e43bb93ae"
  8. folder titles

folder titles: How can I revert a folder number list to folder file names? Download of folder files just appeared as a numbers list vs the folder names. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-titles/7518959c-6a46-4c3e-9e42-253f367a0dc0"
  9. Folder disappeared

Folder disappeared: A folder I was working on suddenly disappeared. Please help how I would prevent this from happening, and how I recover it. Before it's asked, as I have seen many Microsoft personnel ask in response to this exact question, the file is not hidden. It has disappeared. I cannot...
  10. change the displayed title of folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    change the displayed title of folders?: Is it possible to change the displayed title of folders, which have been pinned to the Quick Access list to something other than that of the folder-name itself? IOW, change it to a title of my choosing. I do realize I could simply change the folder-name itself, but that's...