Windows 10: Folder to Start Menu Question

Discus and support Folder to Start Menu Question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am trying to move a folder/directory to Start Menu, but when I drag it onto the start menu, it just shows red circle with line through it... How do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Skeet1983, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Skeet1983 Win User

Folder to Start Menu Question

I am trying to move a folder/directory to Start Menu, but when I drag it onto the start menu, it just shows red circle with line through it... How do I add folders to start menu left side?

:)

Skeet1983, Jul 29, 2015
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Start Menu Programs file is empty (Windows 10)

No that was not the folder I was looking for, please read Barbara Foye's question, she is looking to alter the applications that autorun when Windows starts, not change the contents of the Start Menu!

DaveM121, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Organizing Applications in Windows Mobile

Hello,

Nice question, thanks!

Here's how to organize your Start menu:

1. Launch File Explorer on your device (the icon should be somewhere under your current Start menu)

2. Keep pressing the "Up" button until you can't go up any further (this will put you in the "root" folder)

3. From there, navigate into the Windows folder, and then look for the
    Start Menu folder.

4. Once you're under the Start Menu folder, you can create folders, cut and paste shortcuts around and delete what you don't need. When you're done, simply close File Explorer and return to your Start menu.

Let me know if this works.

-- Mel Sampat, Program Manager (Windows® phone team) Microsoft

Mel Sampat [MSFT], Jul 29, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

This is the way I do it, but there are probably easier ways to do it. Open the folder that you want then go to the address bar and highlight the address and then copy the address. After that you can close the folder and go to the desktop and right click anywhere and scroll down to new and add shortcut. Paste your folder address there and create a desktop shortcut. Then right click on your desktop shortcut and choose add to start menu. Then you can delete the desktop shortcut. I have done this so many times that it is much easier to do than to describe, just a few mouse clicks.

Rocky, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Skeet1983 Win User
    That didn't work for me *Sad

Skeet1983, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Rocky Win User
    At what point did it fail? This works every time in Windows 10 and has worked for me since Windows 8.

Rocky, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Rocky Win User
    This is the way I do it;
    1. Move your cursor to the address bar of the website that you are on
    2. Left click on the address to highlight the entire address
    3. Right click and copy the address
    4. Minimize the screen
    5.Anywhere on your desktop, just right click the mouse and you will see a little menu
    6. Go down to new, choose shortcut
    7. Where it says type the location of item then you paste what you just copied and hit next
    8. In the next screen label your shortcut and then hit finish
    9. After you have the shortcut on your desktop, move your cursor to the shortcut and right click on the shortcut
    10. Select PIN TO START MENU
    11. Delete shortcut if you so desire

It is foolproof and works every time on every computer.

Rocky, Jul 29, 2015
  8. NUS
    Nus Win User

This method work for me on folders.

Doesn't work for internet shortcuts; there is no Pin to Start option on the context menu.

9. Skeet1983 Win User
    I have a folder on desktop that has Program Shortcuts in it. I want to create link to that folder in start menu so I can easily select programs...

Skeet1983, Jul 29, 2015
  10. Rocky Win User
    Try the method that I have outlined, it should work for you.

Rocky, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder to Start Menu Question - Similar Threads - Folder Start Menu

2. Start Menu Folder Suggestion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Folder Suggestion: To start this off, I hate the Windows 11 Start Menu. It seems super cluttered, and I question, why isn't there a method to create folders, like on a mobile device, or even WINDOWS 10! Yes, we can insert folders from file explorer which opens up a new tab. But wouldn't just...
  3. Start Menu Colors Question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Colors Question: Hey Guys, I recently was updated to the latest build OS.. Seems like I cant change the start color menu when Im in Light Mode. I want to be in Light Mode not dark mode and when I choose Light Mode, the change start menu is greyed out. I can only change the start menu colors...
  4. Another start menu question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Another start menu question: I used to be able to hit the windows key, start typing "path" or "environment" and the suggestion to modify my path will come up. Since a few days ago, this is no longer true. No sure what changed. Any ideas how to fix this? submitted by /u/JackeJR [link] [comments]...
  5. Folder in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder in Start Menu: I accidently created a folder in the start menu by dragging one app over top of another but I hesitated a little to long and it automatically created a folder. How do I remove the folder from Start?...
  6. Start Menu Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Question: How do I put Log Off in the start menu? Don Cole 114546
  7. Create folders in the start menu?

Create folders in the start menu?: I have tried creating a folder in every known location to get an additional folder to show up in the start menu so I can throw some games and what not under it...does anyone have any idea how to do this? I've tried creating a folder named "Games" in the following:...
  8. Folders on Start Menu

Folders on Start Menu: Hi, Last question on customizing Windows 10 *Smile Settings > Personalization > Start > Choose which folder appear on Start I need to enable ONLY the following ones: File Explorer Settings Documents Downloads Personal Folder As usual via registry! In Windows 7...
  9. Question about Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Start Menu: After the upgrade to Fall Creators Update, I see some Apps in the All Apps Menu displaying the Nueva (Means New) label next to some Apps and folders. None of the Apps or folders are really new, they being there for a while. The label kind of bothers me and I would like to get...
  10. Start menu folders within folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu folders within folders: Sorry this is kind of hard to explain. On Windows 7 start menu you could have a folder such as EA Games and then sub folders within. For example a folder for tiger woods golf, a folder for say Fifa and so on. It seems on Windows 10 you can only have one folder level. I have...