Windows 10: Folder view layout Shortcut keys - not acting as it should

Discus and support Folder view layout Shortcut keys - not acting as it should in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all I learned that there is key shortcuts to control the view of a folder moving from win 7 to 10 i tried using the it but it's not working and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zivo, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Zivo Win User

Folder view layout Shortcut keys - not acting as it should

Hi all

I learned that there is key shortcuts to control the view of a folder
    moving from win 7 to 10 i tried using the it but it's not working and when it is it works weird

large thumbnails = Ctrl + shift + 2 - NOT WORKING
    Sometimes Ctrl + shift + 6 show large thumbnails and Ctrl + shift + 4 show Details view

i tired it in safemode and it acts the same

does anyone familiar with that could it be a keyboard driver ?

Thanks

:)

2. Eric Ber Win User

Photo Collection On Windows 10

Hi Susan,

Using the File Explorer in Windows 10, you can change the template, column width, Group by, Sort by, and layout view of the files in a folder to your preference. You can follow the steps below to change the Folder View options on Windows 10:

• Open the folder that you want to change the view layout of in the File Explorer.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • From the View tab, you can change the options to the view layout that you want.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Sep 11, 2017
  3. How can I set a default so that files and folders are displayed using the view option "LIST"

Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout settings.

2. Navigate to the View tab in ribbon bar on the top and change the settings per your wish. You can change the layout and choose the folder details to display, add extra panes, adjust column width, etc.

Set a default Folder View for all folders

3. Once done with the changes, click Options to open Folder Options window.

4. Click the View tab in Folder Options window.

5. Click on Apply to Folders button.

How to apply a folder's view settings to all folders in Windows 10

6. Click Yes on the confirmation window that pops up.

How to apply a folder's view settings to all folders in Windows 10

7. Click OK on the Folder Options window to save the settings.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 11, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Sep 11, 2017
  5. Welcome to the forum *Smile

Here is the list of keyboard shortcuts, as you can see 5, 6, 7, 8 no longer work on the Desktop from Windows 10 version 1703 and although you are looking at folder view that might be where your problem comes from. I still have version 1607 and all folder shortcuts work ok,

Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Sep 12, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I have 1703 os build 15063.608 and NONE of the Ctrl+Shift folder view shortcuts shown in Option Six work. They do however work as intended with Ctrl+Alt+<1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8>

I wonder when/why MS changed it? Looks like @Brink may need to update that tutorial.

edit: it has to be the left Alt key

7. Zivo Win User
    Thank you!!!
    you are right however when hovering the item in the bottom right corner it shows a tooltip saying (Ctrl+Shift+6)
    Ridicules

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

They still work for me using Ctrl+Shift in a folder. Ctrl+Alt doesn't work for me though. *Confused

Brink, Sep 18, 2017
  9. philc43 Win User
    This is strange and I wonder if it depends on the keyboard. For me I have found that Ctrl+Alt work in a folder but Ctrl+Shift do not work. So I am the same as @Bree but different to @Brink *Smile

philc43, Sep 18, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. I added Ctrl+Alt to the notes in Option 6 for those that may have the same issue.

Brink, Sep 18, 2017
  11. philc43 Win User
    Thanks for adding that but I also find that with the Ctrl+Alt combination I can get all views 1-8 working which is not what you are indicating for ver 1703 onwards.

My keyboard is the Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 and I am on a UK system (like Bree)

philc43, Sep 18, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That should only not work on the desktop starting with v1703, but still work in File Explorer for all versions.

Brink, Sep 18, 2017
  13. philc43 Win User

Got it - I understand now *Smile

philc43, Sep 18, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    For completeness, some further information about my set up. Both the laptops in 'My Computers' below are UK models, with Windows 10 1703 installed using media made with the MCT for 'English (British)'. On install, language and keyboard were both set as the default UK English. Both laptops use their own internal keyboards. They both require the left Alt key and do nothing with the Shift key.

My second system below has multiple system images available for test purposes, I've restored each to check their behaviour. All Windows 10 versions back to 1507 (10240) only work with the Alt key (the Windows 7 image of course offers no such shortcuts).

15. They do work on my W10 Home laptop (using "Ctrl+Shift + number" ).

They don't work on my W7 PC.
    Are those keyboard shortcuts supposed to work in W7?

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder view layout Shortcut keys - not acting as it should - Similar Threads - Folder view layout

2. Shortcut Key for viewing options not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut Key for viewing options not working: Shortcut Keys for viewing options like win + 2, win+3, win+6 etc. has stopped working inside file explorer. It has been few days now since they stopped working. At first I thought, shortcut keys for viewing options are not working it is not such a big of a deal but then I...
  3. Shortcut Key for viewing options not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut Key for viewing options not working: Shortcut Keys for viewing options like win + 2, win+3, win+6 etc. has stopped working inside file explorer. It has been few days now since they stopped working. At first I thought, shortcut keys for viewing options are not working it is not such a big of a deal but then I...
  4. Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?: Whenever I change the view layout to list and detail the folder icon change to closed folder like this one Is there a way to always display the folder icon as open folder ? like this one Thank you in advanced....
  5. Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?: Whenever I change the view layout to list and detail the folder icon change to closed folder like this one Is there a way to always display the folder icon as open folder ? like this one Thank you in advanced....
  6. Is there a way to display folder icon as open folder set the view layout to list ?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. All my keys act as shortcuts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All my keys act as shortcuts: Hi all, I had updated the windows yesterday, but after the update i am not able to ise the keyboard. All the keys are acting as a shortcut. When i press A the action bar opens up like that. I tried reinstalling the drivers but that didn't help. Tried the keyboard...
  8. KB shortcut for folder views?

in Windows 10 Support
    KB shortcut for folder views?: My searching so far hasn't found one, but does anyone know of hotkeys (or any quick keystroke sequence) that will arrange an already open browse window (Open, Save As, etc) in a particular view (List, Detail, etc)? Terry, East Grinstead, UK 140754
  9. View Layout Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    View Layout Icons: In the lower right corner of the File Explorer there are two icons that have something to do with View Layout: 'Detail' and 'Large Icons'. I would like to: 1. Add the 'List' view because this is the type I often use, or: 2. Replace the 'Large Icon' with 'List'....
  10. Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10: How to: Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10 How to Change the Layout View of a Folder in Windows 10 In Windows, you can change the Sort by, and layout view of items in your folders to how you like. The view layout of a folder's content can be changed to extra...