Windows 10: Folder won't stay deleted

Discus and support Folder won't stay deleted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an empty folder on a USB-attached expansion drive that won't stay deleted. I delete it and it disappears. But a few days later it reappears.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Folder won't stay deleted

I have an empty folder on a USB-attached expansion drive that won't stay deleted. I delete it and it disappears. But a few days later it reappears. There are no error messages when I delete it. I never restore the drive or do anything else (that I'm aware of) to recover the folder. This is not a big problem since the folder takes up no room (except for the directory entry) but I've very curious about this. At one time the folder was password protected and contained encrypted files with invalid file names (file names ending in .con) but all that has been cleaned out and the product doing it has been deleted. I had to use a command-line command - which I don't remember - to delete the files and used that command at least once to delete the folder. This time I won't try deleting the folder in case somebody has a suggestion for something I should try.

:)

pokeefe0001, Aug 22, 2017

2. Files and Folders won't stay deleted in File Explorer

You say it'll regenerate, but I haven't seen it until now in all the time I've had this computer.

and I don't need to delete the desktop file, but it just all the sudden popped up in every folder and I can't even hide it.

CarnesCarnes, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Files and Folders won't stay deleted in File Explorer

Desktop.ini is a system file you should not delete and if you try to Windows 10 will regenerate it. Neither should you delete Camera Roll or Saved Pictures, since they shell folders included as part of your personal folder for managing your photos. YouCam
    is likely part of your WebCam software.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Folder won't stay deleted

If nothing on the drive, format it. I would also rin ccleaner to get any folder or file ghosts out of your system. The registry would hold the UUID with that folder and Windows has not done proper house keeping as it should if you properly ejected the drive.

Double check Device Manager Hidden devices to see if it shows up without the USB drive in the machine.

bro67, Aug 22, 2017
  5. All my backups - the local copies of them - are on that drive. Formatting it is not a particularly good option.*Smile And the drive is permanently mounted; I never eject it.

I'll give CCleaner a try. I haven't run it for ages.

6. spunk Win User
    First step is to eject the drive (ie) unplug the USB cable from the computer end. Then restart the computer. Plug the drive back in and see if it happens again.
    You can also run Check Disk on the drive With the drive plugged in, press the Windows key+X choose Command Prompt (Admin) In the Elevated Command Prompt type the drive letter of this external drive (ie) G: and press enter (ie) G:\> at this prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y to Unmount the drive. Check Disk will go thru 5 stages and take a while.

spunk, Aug 22, 2017
  7. Interesting. I got the popup "Windows is unable to stop the device 'USB Mass Storage Device'. Don't remove this device while still in use. Close any programs using this device and then remove it." Nothing was obviously using the device but mystery folder had been moved to the drive's Recycle folder so maybe that "program" was Windows itself. In fact, that mus be because I just emptied the Recycle been and was able to remove the device. I'll now do the reboot and see what happens when I remount the drive.

8. Stevekir Win User

Hmmm Personally, I would never carry out any procedure in a drive that was my backup one (unless I copied it first).

Stevekir, Aug 22, 2017
  9. I do make a copy of the back files once a week, but I'm not doing anything more unless the folder comes back. Actually, I don't think I've ever used CCleaner to clean anything. I've just run it to see what it thinks needs cleaning.

10. Solved. Dumb user error! The old folder used to have sub-folders I used as targets for downloads. My browser - Firefox - remembers download targets associated with websites. Every once in a while I do a download from one of those websites. (That happened yesterday.) I never go far enough to create a target sub-directory but I apparently go far enough to recreate the top level directory. This explains why it sometimes takes weeks to the directory to reappear.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folder won't stay deleted - Similar Threads - Folder won't stay

2. Folder Won't Delete From Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Won't Delete From Desktop: I have a folder on my desktop called 580Aux. Within that folder is another folder called Aux. Whenever I try to delete the top-level folder from the desktop, I get an error message stating that the folder can't be found. I opened the command prompt and tried to delete 580Aux...
  3. Folder Won't Delete From Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Won't Delete From Desktop: I have a folder on my desktop called 580Aux. Within that folder is another folder called Aux. Whenever I try to delete the top-level folder from the desktop, I get an error message stating that the folder can't be found. I opened the command prompt and tried to delete 580Aux...
  4. Folder Won't Delete From Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Laptop won't stay on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't stay on: To keep my laptop stay on i need to press the power button and any other random button simultaneously. The random button must be continously pressed otherwise the laptop would go into sleep mode or power off. What's the issue and can you guide me to a solution....
  6. Laptop won't stay on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop won't stay on: To keep my laptop stay on i need to press the power button and any other random button simultaneously. The random button must be continously pressed otherwise the laptop would go into sleep mode or power off. What's the issue and can you guide me to a solution....
  7. Windows Apps Folder won't Delete.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Apps Folder won't Delete.: Hi, so I've seen that this problem has been one for many. I'm trying to install games onto my D: drive with the Xbox App, and it won't let me change the installation folder. All the issues I've seen relate to not being able to delete the folder due to permissions, or renaming...
  8. Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder): Ok, so I'm by no means a tech luddite, but this one has me stumped even after trawling some forums. When I delete "some" icons from my desktop the icon does not actually disappear. It stays there on my desktop but is no longer active. I cannot click on it or interact with it...
  9. Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted Desktop Folder Stays in Desktop: I've been trying to delete folders on my desktop but They won't delete. Files are deleting just fine but when I try deleting a folder, it gives me this processing tab: [img] and "completes" the deletion but the folder never ends up getting deleted. It can be opened,...
  10. Folder won't be deleted.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folder won't be deleted.: I want to delete a folder. When I right click, & delete, it says, "item not found, could not find this item, this item is no longer located in C:\Users\James\Documents. Verify the item's location and try again." Then, when I click try again, it comes up with the same thing....