Windows 10: Folders and files that will not delete

Discus and support Folders and files that will not delete in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently deleted some mp3 files and folders, then when I emptied the Recycle Bin I inadvertently answered "no" to the "are you sure you want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fred22, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Fred22 Win User

Folders and files that will not delete

I recently deleted some mp3 files and folders, then when I emptied the Recycle Bin I inadvertently answered "no" to the "are you sure you want to delete these files" question. Now they are sitting on my recent files / frequent folders page and will not delete again. When you analyze them they are 0 bytes, so not taking up any space (also may be the reason they won't delete) but they are cluttering the area and I need to get rid of them. My laptop is brand new, under warranty, but Dell support won't help me, saying it's a software issue and I have to either pay them over $100 or purchase a software warranty before they will help. I went on You Tube and found one video that demonstrated a method of deleting them through the "Command Prompt" screen, but this didn't work. This may sound like a small issue, but there are about 30 of these files and folders and they are cluttering the area...need to delete them. Help please.

:)

Fred22, Feb 15, 2016

2. How to delete folders that can NOT be deleted in DOS because the search patch is too long

I worked!!!! Folders and files that will not delete :)

Thank you sooooo much!!!

I am so grateful!!!

AndreasKDM, Feb 15, 2016
  3. How to delete folders that can NOT be deleted in DOS because the search patch is too long

Thanks!!

I will try it!

AndreasKDM, Feb 15, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome! *Smile

This should be easy to resolve. The frequent folders and recent files can be switched off which will reset and clear all the items. You can then turn on again to allow new items to appear there as you use your files and folders.

See this tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...-turn-off.html

philc43, Feb 16, 2016
  5. bsumangal Win User
    Some Zero Bytes Files got created on my Hard drive a sub-directory, probably due probably to premature termination of download process. I am now unable to delete these. I also tried deleting these from command prompt with explorer.exe stopped from Task Manager. It did not work. Message I got is "File Name" File does not exist. How do I delete these. I can not remname them. I can not even delete this sub directory. How to resolve this problem? OS Windows 10 64 Bit on Dell Laptop.

bsumangal, Sep 2, 2017
  6. Gordon7 Win User
    Hey and welcome to TenForums,

Try to reboot your PC and then go to these folders again - right-click and Delete.

Don't turn off explorer when you delete something, - explorer must be running.

After a reboot the folder will must likely be gone!

Gordon7, Sep 2, 2017
  7. bsumangal Win User
    With explorer on, right click does not work. Neither I can delete these Zero Byte Files nor I can Delete the folder itself.

bsumangal, Sep 3, 2017
  8. Folders and files that will not delete

OK. This thing is Dangerous. I'm not even sure if posting it like this is OK with the Forum. I don't remember which member gave it to me. I'm passing it along with all the warnings that go with something like this. Use it at your own risk. Copy the text and paste it into DeleteFolder.bat

rem Drag-drop the undeletable folder onto the icon of this batch script
    rem (make sure it’s the right folder!). Remove the batch file when done.
    :
    :
    Rem rd /s /q \\?\%1

Wiley Coyote, Sep 3, 2017
  9. pepanee Win User
    You can download Ubuntu (an alternate operating system) on some USB drive, and start up the computer from that alternate operating system. Ubuntu will show you all the same folders you have in Windows 10. Look for the folders you want to delete. Delete them, then restart the computer in Windows.

pepanee, Sep 3, 2017
  10. bsumangal Win User
    Solution given by CWGilley Worked like magic, Only change I had to make was to Replace Rd with Del. If I use Rd to remove entire folder have Zero Byte Files, It says folder not empty. I dragged and dropped Each of the Four Zero Byte Files onto the batch file Icon one by one. And Lo Behold, the files were gone. After this, removing the folder was child's play.Thanks a lot CWGilley

bsumangal, Sep 3, 2017
  11. Glad it worked for you. *Smile

Wiley Coyote, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folders and files that will not delete - Similar Threads - Folders files delete

2. Useful Files & folders deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Useful Files & folders deleted: I am using desktop computer with windows 11. My files & folders on which I worked, got suddenly deleted. It was shown in recent list but couldn't get it back. This was repeatedly & randomly happened. Please help.....
  3. how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?: I have a folder full of subfolders which themselves are full of subfolders with images, I want to delete the folders themselves but keep the images. I've been trying to use the search:*kind:picture tool to do it but there are so many images that file explorer keeps crashing...
  4. how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?

how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?: I have a folder full of subfolders which themselves are full of subfolders with images, I want to delete the folders themselves but keep the images. I've been trying to use the search:*kind:picture tool to do it but there are so many images that file explorer keeps crashing...
  5. delete a file in folders

delete a file in folders: how to delete a file in folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-a-file-in-folders/430d0465-2059-470a-8aca-0695dcb6b053
  6. delete a file in folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    delete a file in folders: how to delete a file in folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-a-file-in-folders/430d0465-2059-470a-8aca-0695dcb6b053
  7. delete a file in folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Deleting files and folders in Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting files and folders in Documents folder.: Why I cant delete folders and files in my documents folder also on some folders like videos and pictures. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-files-and-folders-in-documents-folder/65b04852-3916-4099-b1ac-585106682994
  9. Deleting Folders/Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting Folders/Files: I have an unwanted folder that contains an exe file called quandam.exe. The exe file continuously produces more exe files, which are adwawres. When attempting to delete it normally, I get the error message: 'Folder In Use'. When attempting to delete it in command prompt, the...
  10. Onedrive folder/file deletion

Onedrive folder/file deletion: Had this issue before today's cum update and still there. Local folders created within the default folders (Docs, Pictures, etc) can't be deleted and files within can't be either. If files is in a default folder vs a personally created sub-folder, they behave normally and I...