Windows 10: Folders Disappeared without Me Deleting Them -- WTF !!?!!

Discus and support Folders Disappeared without Me Deleting Them -- WTF !!?!! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A few very important folders have disppreared from my computer without me EVER deleting them. They were on my desktop forever until I noticed recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yahanna, Jan 6, 2018.

1. yahanna Win User

Folders Disappeared without Me Deleting Them -- WTF !!?!!

A few very important folders have disppreared from my computer without me EVER deleting them. They were on my desktop forever until I noticed recently they're not there anymore. Why the f*** is this happening?? How can I get them back??

:)

yahanna, Jan 6, 2018
  2. beershark Win User

Emails not deleting / reappearing - Nokia 920

Total madness.

Set flag. Cleared flag. Deleted. Sync. Back

Set flag. Sync. It disappears.... WTF? I didn't even delete it but its gone.

Totally bizarre and wrong behaviour which is a real concern, what else goes without being deleted.

Thanks for the head up, will try the other emails and monitor the rest very carefully.

Thanks again DanMar.

beershark, Jan 6, 2018
  3. how NOT to temper with windows.old

!!!!!!!!!!! my window just had an update and it deleted all my program files ?!!?!?!?!? wtf!?!?!

i rename the file to 'window.old.000 VERY IMPORTANT' how does it know where to delete?!?!?! the worst thing is i saw it as it happens! i can see my local disk free space started increasing and every refresh i can a folder disappearing.

samsonzheng, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

First thing I'd do is right-click the desktop, choose Sort by name to assure icons are not hiding others, it is possible.

Berton, Jan 6, 2018
  5. yahanna Win User
    I did that but nothing. What do you suggest?

yahanna, Jan 6, 2018
  6. pepanee Win User
    Try searching for the Folders (or File names within the Folders) that you can remember, using the Search function.

pepanee, Jan 6, 2018
  7. searching for them with the search function might work .. if you really need these folders desperately, doing a system restore back to when you last had the folders might do the trick..

BrandonR188, Jan 6, 2018
  8. SoFine409 Win User

Hopefully you'll be able to find them but in this case making periodic backups with Macrium would have allowed you to retrieve them.

SoFine409, Jan 6, 2018
  9. yahanna Win User
    So I got an image backup with macrium. But I dont want to back up my system just yet. Is there a way to go into the backup and just retrieve these specific files??

yahanna, Jan 6, 2018
  10. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey yahanna,
    Right click on your macrium image > explore image. Macrium will mount the image and you should be able to retrieve what you need. When done, just right click on the mounted drive > macrium reflect > unmount image.

btw ... In File Explorer > View > Check Hidden Items and look in c:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop, to see if maybe those folders got hidden.

Eagle51, Jan 6, 2018
  11. yahanna Win User
    Heyyyy... Thnak you very much for this. It was the right answer. THANKS!!!!

yahanna, Jan 6, 2018
  12. When you say "it was the right answer" I presume you've retrieved your lost folders from the Macrium backup.

But that still leaves unanswered the original question: How/why were the deleted in the first place?

margrave55, Jan 6, 2018
  13. vram Win User

I’ve had files disappear from the desktop before but I could go to the desktop folder in explorer and they’d be there. Refreshing the desktop had no effect. Weird....

14. Ben Myers Win User
    Try pressing the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, typing "shell:desktop" into the "Open" box, click "OK" and see if they are still in there.

Ben

Ben Myers, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folders Disappeared without Me Deleting Them -- WTF !!?!! - Similar Threads - Folders Disappeared without

2. Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?: I turned on my laptop this morning and two shortcuts were on the desktop to file folders. When I deleted them, the folders themselves were also deleted. I was able to restore them from recycle, but the shortcuts were also restored. Can I get rid of these shortcuts while...
  3. Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?: I turned on my laptop this morning and two shortcuts were on the desktop to file folders. When I deleted them, the folders themselves were also deleted. I was able to restore them from recycle, but the shortcuts were also restored. Can I get rid of these shortcuts while...
  4. Can shortcuts to folders be deleted without deleting the folders?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. wtf

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    wtf: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/kp3aug7v53y71.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=ed480f7aa83c0ccf43c2d7e1724ac9c25f55fcb4 submitted by /u/ARA-v2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/qofd1x/wtf/
  6. Deleted Folder Not Disappearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted Folder Not Disappearing: Somehow I ended up accidentally creating two different folders that had the exact same name on my desktop. Normally it should have just overwritten what was in the original folder or asked me to change one of the folder's names but instead it created a second folder, with...
  7. wtf are these and why are they in my tmp folder

wtf are these and why are they in my tmp folder: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MarkoTribe16 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kxllgj/wtf_are_these_and_why_are_they_in_my_tmp_folder/
  8. Delete only folders and not the files in them

Delete only folders and not the files in them: Hi, I have a folder on my drive with many folders inside of it. I want to “empty” all of the sub folders into the main folder and delete the sub folders while keeping all files intact. Folder->subfolder->files Into Folder->files Is there a way to do this on a large scale...
  9. Delete all folders without files with a certain extension in them

Delete all folders without files with a certain extension in them: Let's say I have a folder with around 200 subfolders in it. In some of those subfolders there are .pdf and .mp3 files, and in some of them .txt, .pdf and .mp3 files. Now let's say I want to delete all subfolders that DON'T CONTAIN .txt files. Is there a quick and clean way to...
  10. HELP MY SYSTEM32 IS DELETED WTF

HELP MY SYSTEM32 IS DELETED WTF: submitted by /u/Javiermdv [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gyagjl/help_my_system32_is_deleted_wtf/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. files disappper without u deleting it

2. photos disappeared without deleting them windows

3. folders disappeared without being deleted