Windows 10: Folders displaying twice

Discus and support Folders displaying twice in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every window I open, along the left side, under "Quick access", there's a long long list of different places, folders etc. Is there any way to trim... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Homer Simpson, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Folders displaying twice

Every window I open, along the left side, under "Quick access", there's a long long list of different places, folders etc.

Is there any way to trim this list? In particular, for some reason C drive, as well as any attached external drives, show up twice each. There doesn't seem to be any way of getting them to remember a default view - the same things appear everytime I open every folder. This didn't happen in Win7. I'm logged in as admin, there are no other accounts

:)

Homer Simpson, Dec 15, 2015
  2. JamesJoey Win User

Explorer Displaying External HDD Twice

Just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro Version 1511.

Explorer's navigation pane is displaying my External HDD twice where it wasn't being displayed twice prior to the upgrade.

Also, the Quick Access folder is back.

How do I hide the Quick Access folder?? I don't just mean removing or clearing items form it.

I want the folder to be hidden.

James

JamesJoey, Dec 15, 2015
  3. Blaez Win User
    USB Listed twice in Windows 10 Explorer

One of my USB drives is listed twice in Windows Explorer, although it displays correctly in My PC. It is not pinned to "Quick Access" and Explorer is set to open "This PC" through View/Folder/Options. Why is this one USB drive (storage) listed twice and
    are there any concerns with this?

Thank you,

Blaez, Dec 15, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

Folders displaying twice

Could you provide a screenshot please.

swarfega, Dec 15, 2015
  5. Folders displaying twice [​IMG]

Homer Simpson, Dec 15, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Homer, *Smile

This would be two separate groups in the navigation pane. One is your drives listed under the "This PC" group, and the other are the drives listed as their own group. This way if you collapsed "This PC", you'll still see the drives for easy access to them.

The tutorial below can help show you how to remove the separate drive groups though.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Dec 15, 2015
  7. Homer Simpson, Dec 17, 2015
  8. Folders displaying twice

OK, didn't work. Both sets still show up after running that registry thing and rebooting.

I couldn't edit it myself because what displayed didn't match the screenshot I posted

"Attributes" isn't there, just the other 2

I tried deleting it, but all that did is delete it from the desktop, not the folder view

Homer Simpson, Dec 19, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 19, 2015
  10. I tried this one, to remove the "This PC" icon, because there's a bunch of stuff in that (desktop, documents downloads, music, pictures...) which I don't want cluttering up my screen. Wasn't a problem in Win7.

This PC in Navigation Pane - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Except it wasn't possible because my registry didn't match the screenshot. The "Attributes" bit that I'm meant to change isn't there. It won't let me change permissions so I'm not sure if it's just hidden. I downloaded something which apparently changed my registry but that did bubkis as well.

In addition, I use "Classic Shell" which takes several minutes to load, during which time I can't use the computer. Several programs do things differently, which I don't like.

There's the little "ENG" icon at lower right which appears after each reboot despite my repeatedly disabling it.

My touchpad now doesn't work. It can't be a driver issue cos it's part of the computer and I keep everything updated.

I can't even get the login screen to stop displaying a picture of a mountain or a waterfall.

With Win7 I could make these changes and they'd stay. Which means that Microsoft programmers must've deliberately removed this ability for Win10 and I can't understand why. Why have the ability to disable the "ENG" icon if it's back with every reboot? I don't understand this. I'm not restoring, just rebooting. I guess you know your OS has problems when you have the need to program in a little "Working on it..." text notification, so that the user has something to read while he's opening a folder, something that should take a fraction of a second, and did in Win7. Why would this ever be necessary?

Oh, and when I click on a video or a picture file in a folder, it no longer shows me details about the file unless I enable a large section to the right of the screen. Win7 did this with a 2-line section under the window, which was much better cos it took up less space. Why change this? I've also noticed folders reverting to "large icon view" when I've changed them to "list view".

So, thankyou for your help, but if someone can't convince me to keep Win10, I'm changing back to Win7. This is fricking ridiculous.

Folders displaying twice [​IMG]

Homer Simpson, Dec 28, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Homer, *Smile

You'll have to do steps 4 and 5 in that tutorial before you will be able to change the Attributes DWORD value. You will also have to be signed in to an administrator account to be able to do so.

Since you don't have the Attributes DWORD, you'll just need to add it after doing steps 4 and 5.

Brink, Dec 28, 2015
  12. OK I added "administrator", but I tried to add full control to it and it says "Unable to save permission changes on ShellFolder"

Homer Simpson, Dec 28, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Folders displaying twice

In that case, please go ahead and post screenshots showing your owner and permission settings for the ShellFolder key to see if it may reveal a cause. Be sure to blank out any email address in it first.

Brink, Dec 28, 2015
  14. Folders displaying twice [​IMG]

Homer Simpson, Dec 29, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Homer,

See if changing the owner to "Administrators" (group) instead of "Administrator" (built-in account), may allow you to afterwards.

Brink, Dec 29, 2015
Thema:

Folders displaying twice

1. Folders displaying twice - Similar Threads - Folders displaying twice

2. sharing folders twice

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sharing folders twice: HelloI had trouble sharing a folder big one in the network so that I can open it in my other laptop. So I tried several sharing in different names. The result is that I have many versions, of the same folder.How can I "delete" all the versions except one? When I open property...
  3. sharing folders twice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sharing folders twice: HelloI had trouble sharing a folder big one in the network so that I can open it in my other laptop. So I tried several sharing in different names. The result is that I have many versions, of the same folder.How can I "delete" all the versions except one? When I open property...
  4. sharing folders twice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why is my Seagate External Drive and File Folders Displayed Twice in Windows Explorer 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my Seagate External Drive and File Folders Displayed Twice in Windows Explorer 10?: Why does this happen and how can I make it stop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-seagate-external-drive-and-file-folders/e2cc810f-5570-4af9-89b6-07517f3f4989
  6. Why is my Seagate External Drive and File Folders Displayed Twice in Windows Explorer 10?

Why is my Seagate External Drive and File Folders Displayed Twice in Windows Explorer 10?: Why does this happen and how can I make it stop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-seagate-external-drive-and-file-folders/e2cc810f-5570-4af9-89b6-07517f3f4989
  7. Videos folder/library appears twice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos folder/library appears twice: The Videos folder/library appears twice in Explorer. Once in This PC, as a system folder - empty.Once in Quick Access because I set it that way as a Library, with the other folders I included.Even better, the empty Videos folder appears in the Videos library. Nothing I can to...
  8. Videos folder/library appears twice

Videos folder/library appears twice: The Videos folder/library appears twice in Explorer. Once in This PC, as a system folder - empty.Once in Quick Access because I set it that way as a Library, with the other folders I included.Even better, the empty Videos folder appears in the Videos library. Nothing I can to...
  9. Document folder is showing twice.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Document folder is showing twice.: [ATTACH] I tried googling how to fix but the problem still persists. Any idea how to fix it? I'm sorry if this is not the sub for this but I can't get help anywhere else. submitted by /u/KnowledgeFire11 [link] [comments]...
  10. folder display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder display: Sometimes File Manager displays them A-Z, sometimes Z-A. How do I make it always A-Z? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-display/c409e823-bac5-419d-be90-9349217f35f1"