Windows 10: Folders missing when swapping drives about and now has different label

Discus and support Folders missing when swapping drives about and now has different label in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have about 6 HDDs, I was swapping some about from one PC to another, for some odd reason the drives would not always show up. So I had to swap them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BlizzardUK, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Folders missing when swapping drives about and now has different label

I have about 6 HDDs, I was swapping some about from one PC to another, for some odd reason the drives would not always show up. So I had to swap them between different SATA sockets or USB docks to see them. All of a sudden I get a 10 second message that says "scanning and fixing Drive E: Movies" or words to a similar effect. This was during the windows boot up. It was very quick and I only noticed the message out of the corner of my eye. Oddly I now find a drive that was called Encoding has now changed to Movies, which is the name of another of my drives. The most annoying thing is 2 major folders are missing + some files in the root. I am so annoyed as those 2 folders were really important. Oh and yes, I know, they can't have been that important as you didn't back them up, but hearing that right now will just make me scream. I have learnt my lesson. One thing that also happened (before I noticed problem) is when I was changing drive E to F in Disk Management nothing would happen. So either that, or the boot up scan message is what made this happen, I can't pin point the exact thing as I just assumed I was looking at the correct Movies drive until I viewed the contents, as I was going by label name for a while.

I installed a undelete program but that has not found any files with the names that are missing. I am hoping it is just a "mapping" issue or index or something and that they are there somewhere just hidden. In my 20+ years of using PCs I have never had a HDD label change drives, and never had just some folders vanish. My other drive, the original Movies, seems fine and still has that label. But thee Encoding label drive is now Movies with the files missing.

Any ideas guys ? I am really lost here. Thanks for any help in advance. I am kicking myself for not backing up, believe me.

:)

BlizzardUK, Aug 9, 2017
  2. IlkkaKoli Win User

E-SATA drive shows previously connected hd’s content

I have two 1TB (Lacie) external e-sata drives...

After shutting down pc, swapping drives over and booting up, windows10 shows hd’s volume label, folders and files from the disconnected drive to be on that now connected second drive.

How do i get windows to show the second hard drive’s true content? (without losing data)

IlkkaKoli, Aug 9, 2017
  3. edokie Win User
    How do I move folders with photos and videos from the C:\ drive to other drives?

I noticed my C:\ drive (500GB Samsung SSD) is more than half full. I find that under "Users" there is a file labeled with my first name containing 107GB. Under that is a folder labeled "Pictures", containing

44.6 GB of pictures. These have a location C:\Users\"name". How do I move them from the C:\ drive to my P:\ where I always try send my photos? All my photos are on my P:\ drive under a folder labeled with my nickname P:\"nickname". Should they be labeled
    differently such as: P:\Users\"name"\"nickname" ? If that's the way they should be labeled, how do I change the name of the path for the folder they are in and how do I move them there? There is also a folder under

C:\Users\"name"\Videos\ that contains 44.7 GB, and I would like these videos stored under the drive I use for Storage of Videos S:\ drive. That S:\ drive shows 557GB used of a 4TB drive. On the S:\ drive the videos and movies are listed under about 20+ folders
    such as S:\ DV Tapes, and S:\Grandkids. Should these folders be renamed S:\Users\"name"\Grandkids ? Is this folder "Videos" really a "Library" ? When I R-click on what looks to me like the icon for Videos Library and is labeled C:\Users\"name" it contains
    only 44.7 GB not the 557GB of video stored on my S:\ drive. How do I get the 44.7GB off my C:\ drive onto my S:\ drive and how do I make sure all my videos anywhere on my computer are shown under the Videos Library? I don't know how photos and videos got onto
    my C:\ drive because I have a different drive for photos (P:\) and one for storage (S:\) of videos. Can you please help me get better organized? Thank you.

edokie, Aug 9, 2017
  4. Folders missing when swapping drives about and now has different label

Solved it myself, just to help others, it seems CHKDSK did automatically delete my files, this happened upon windows loading. I found a CHKDSK log file and saw everything it deleted. I download a free trial of recovery software, and it found everything, I had to pay to recover but I am just pleased I did. I have now put all my recovered files on my backedup RAID, I am not making that mistake again. Just letting others know these files can probably be recovered for you too, they are still on the disk, you just have to use software to scan for the hidden files. If I took longer I probably could have found free software, but I was too desperate, and I used a 60% off voucher anyway. Oddly the first software I tried only found half of the files, so I am pleased I tried others. I am not saying the software name so I don't get blamed for spamming, but remember to try a few if the first one doesn't work, just search for CHKDSK file recovery software, there are loads out there.

BlizzardUK, Aug 9, 2017
Thema:

Folders missing when swapping drives about and now has different label

1. Folders missing when swapping drives about and now has different label - Similar Threads - Folders missing swapping

2. Installed a new windows in a different drive and that drive still has a windows folder NOT...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installed a new windows in a different drive and that drive still has a windows folder NOT...: so I had an ssd which broke but it was still in warranty so i claimed it but that would take some time to arrive so i installed it on my HDD in the meantime. that install had a windows.old folder but it was empty which was expected but i didnt delete it. Today i finally got...
  3. Installed a new windows in a different drive and that drive still has a windows folder NOT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed a new windows in a different drive and that drive still has a windows folder NOT...: so I had an ssd which broke but it was still in warranty so i claimed it but that would take some time to arrive so i installed it on my HDD in the meantime. that install had a windows.old folder but it was empty which was expected but i didnt delete it. Today i finally got...
  4. Installed a new windows in a different drive and that drive still has a windows folder NOT...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Optical drive now missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optical drive now missing: Hello, I have been trying to setup my PC for over one year now and keep having issues. I have experminted and practiced reinstalling Windows 10 20H2 about 10 times. Everything was looking good and was finally ready to setup my PC today. I reinstalled Windows, ran Windows...
  6. Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops

Swapping Hard Drives Between Different Brand Laptops: I have a Toshiba Satellite with a bad motherboard dropped. I cloned the drive to an SSD and placed it in a new HP. In the Bluetooth devices section, the 2 devices are still listed but I cannot pair them nor can I delete them. I have also tried using a BT dongle with no...
  7. Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label

Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label: I have an external USB drive with the volume label "HDD-2." But when I connect it, Explorer shows the name as "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive." [img] If I attempt to rename it in Explorer (right click -> Rename), the name reverts to "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive" as soon as I hit...
  8. Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label: I have an external USB drive with the volume label "HDD-2." But when I connect it, Explorer shows the name as "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive." [img] If I attempt to rename it in Explorer (right click -> Rename), the name reverts to "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive" as soon as I hit...
  9. Windows does not recognize when a physical hard drive has been swapped

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows does not recognize when a physical hard drive has been swapped: I have an external USB -> SATA3 dock that is connected to a USB 3 connection on my Windows 10 Pro 64 1803 machine. It reads and writes everything just fine to the drive. But when I shut down the machine and swap the drive for a different drive (I use this for backing up...
  10. Folder on Media Drive said "Not accessible" and now has disappeared.

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder on Media Drive said "Not accessible" and now has disappeared.: Very strange situation here. I have a 2GB WD Black Hard drive as a media drive in my PC. I have a 1GB primary drive with windows on it. I went to go view a video in my Movies Folder on the Media drive. I got an error saying folder not accessible. Then the folder disappeared....