Windows 10: Folders read-only after motherboard change...

Discus and support Folders read-only after motherboard change... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Following a motherboard change this morning all my folders are now read-only causing problems with some programmes. If I go to the properties for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rafikiphoto, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Folders read-only after motherboard change...

Following a motherboard change this morning all my folders are now read-only causing problems with some programmes. If I go to the properties for a folder and uncheck read-only box including sub-folders and files it appears to work but next time I look the box is checked again. How can fix this, please?

:)

rafikiphoto, Sep 4, 2017

2. ALL folders changed to Read-Only

After using Windows for a while, it was fine. But today, when I was trying to compile a program i made with friend, it outputted error code 5, which is "Access denied". And when I checked, ALL the files was change to Read-Only without me ever knowing.

Is there a reason why this is happening? And can I fix this?

EDIT: I tried to change it back to Read-Only so that I can compile my files. It changed back immediately.

Eddy_Nguyen, Sep 4, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    ALL folders changed to Read-Only

All folders on your PC are read only, not just this programming project?

You say the project is on another drive, are all folders on that drive read only or are all folders on all your drives read only?

DaveM121, Sep 4, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Folders read-only after motherboard change...

Have you ended up with a new or temporary username after the motherboard swap. Check your C:\users folder and see if it looks correct.

Did your W10 re-activate after this hardware change? Usually activation of W10 after a MB change can be tricky unless you are using a Microsoft account which associates your digital activation with your MS account.

philc43, Sep 4, 2017
  5. My username is the same as before.

The motherboard was changed by a techie here at the house and, as far as I am aware, W10 was not re-activated. I looked in settings under activation it says that Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to my MS account.

rafikiphoto, Sep 4, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    Thanks for checking, having a MS account has meant that you were automatically reactivated and if your username is correct this rules out any problems that could have been associated with temporary usernames and incorrect permissions.

I'm interested in why you think the folders should not be read only. It is actually normal to see the read only check box with a black mark.

See this tutorial for more details: Set or Unset Read-only Attribute of Files and Folders in Windows 10

philc43, Sep 4, 2017
  7. I'm afraid it is due to ignorance on my part for which I apologise.

The problem software is my digital asset management programme (iMatch) and I cannot open the database after the m/b change. The reply from iMatch support has been as follows (italics show text from the log)

Log text:
    Database file read-only/on read-only media.
    Database is on a read-only media or the current user has no write privileges to the folder containing the database file.

Support reply:
    Please check the file system permissions for your user account for the folder (!) containing the database and all files within.
    They may be wrong after replacing the motherboard and probably re-installing Windows.

Perhaps I am not doing the correct procedure. Could you guide me in this please?

rafikiphoto, Sep 4, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

File permissions can get tricky and this may have something to do with the way your asset management program assigned file and folder permissions. Hopefully the following tutorial will explain the basics and give you some methods to try changing the permissions:
    Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10

philc43, Sep 4, 2017
  9. I have fixed the problem following the permissions tutorial. Thanks for your guidance. Much appreciated.

rafikiphoto, Sep 5, 2017
  10. Winuser Win User
    It you could please post the solution you used to solve your problem. It may help others that may experience the same problem in the future.

Winuser, Sep 5, 2017
  11. Yes, sure:

I went to Windows Explorer and found the database file that was causing the problem (not opening in the iMatch DAM) which the log file put down to a permissions problem.
    Right click on the file and select <Properties>
    Select the <Security> tab
    I found that HomeUsers, Administrators and Users did not have write permissions.
    Click <Edit> and in the top box select each user in turn and in the bottom box tick <Full Control> for each
    Click <Apply> then <OK> then <OK> in the Properties box to exit and it was all done.

rafikiphoto, Sep 5, 2017
  12. Winuser Win User
    Thank You! Now if someone on this forum runs into this problem and uses the search function they can find your post and a possible solution. *Smile

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Folders read-only after motherboard change... - Similar Threads - Folders read motherboard

2. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  3. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  4. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  5. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed: Hello everyone. As the title states, all of my folders throughout windows 10 have set themselves to read only and I am unable to change this back no matter what I try. This is the first time I have wanted to edit something a set of photo's since before Christmas and now I...
  7. Read only folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  8. Read-only folders

Read-only folders: All folders on both computers on my home network have become read-only; the files within them are not showing as read-only, but cannot be amended due to the folder permissions. I have tried the solutions referenced on line using security permissions, allowing inheritance etc....
  9. Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.

Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.: I need to know how to fix the issue. The issue is "How do you change the folder's attributes so that it will no longer be "Read Only". I've gone into my PowerShell (Admin) and did the whole "attrib -r +s <drive>:\<folder>" thing -- it didn't work. I need some options....
  10. Search folder changes to read only

in Cortana
    Search folder changes to read only: Hi, Problem with a W10 /pro 64 bit workstation, version 1803 17131.407. After the latest update the search stopped finding stuff. Even in a folder with a file like photo.jpg, a search for photo or photo.* or even photo.jpg showed nothing. This had happened before....