Windows 10: Followed steps for clean install from upgrade, but won't activate

Discus and support Followed steps for clean install from upgrade, but won't activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've read the instructions on various websites. I had Windows 8.1 Home activated and updated. Upgraded to Windows 10 Home. It activated and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by yingjai, Oct 22, 2015.

1. yingjai Win User

Followed steps for clean install from upgrade, but won't activate

I've read the instructions on various websites.

I had Windows 8.1 Home activated and updated.

Upgraded to Windows 10 Home. It activated and updated.

Did a clean install of Windows 10 Home and it won't activate. I skipped both key input screens and it says my key is blocked.

:)

yingjai, Oct 22, 2015

2. How will I know that the Win7 to Win10 upgrade is ready?

Colin! That doesn't explain anything that's relevant to the problem people are having.

Look, let me simply ask this: Why does a clean install following an update prompt for a Product Code?

Where are step-by-step instructions regarding how to do a clean install following an upgrade?

The reason I want to know this is because I don't trust Microsoft to do an upgrade. I want to do a clean install, then install my applications, then copy my data from backup. I do not want to trust an upgrade. There are no instructions for what I want to
    do. There are statements that claim it is possible to do a clean install following an upgrade, but there are no instructions how to do it. Further, Microsoft techs right here on this board say that you can't do a clean install after an upgrade. But there are
    web pages all through Microsoft sites that imply that you can do a clean install following an update.

Can one do a clean install following an upgrade? How? Where are clear, simple, straight-line instructions how to do it?

Thank You, Colin, & Best Regards,

Mark Filipak.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Oct 22, 2015
  3. Brian O Win User
    Win 10 Installation

Won't these instructions lead to a "Clean Install" instead of an upgrade install?

I got this error trying to upgrade from Win8.1 Pro. Did an install from DVD and now I'm stuck, unable to activate, and the instructions tell me to re-install Win8.1 and do an upgrade install instead of a clean install.

Brian O, Oct 22, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

Welcome to TenForums, yingjai.

Are you sure you used exactly the same version of Win10 to the clean install as you used to do the upgrade? What method did you use for upgrade - GWX/update method? What media did you use for clean install?

Word Man, Oct 23, 2015
  5. yingjai Win User
    Every install was Windows 10 Home. I think the first time, I upgraded from Windows 8.1 using the wuauclt.exe /updatenow method. I downloaded the media creation tool for the clean install and loaded it on a USB drive. When I did the clean install, I deleted all partitions.

After I realized it wouldn't activate, I restarted the process to see if I messed up. I downgraded to Windows 8.1, activated, but this time I used the USB drive to upgrade. Windows 10 was installed and activated. This time, I left all partitions alone and only formatted the C drive with a clean install.

I have no idea what the GWX/update method is.

yingjai, Oct 23, 2015
  6. Word Man Win User
    As long as the edition of Windows you created on USB with the MCT (not certain if you mean same thing by "loaded it on") is Win10 Home and you had Win10 home from the upgrade (versus Win10 Home Single Language on USB, for example, or Win10 Home on USB after upgrading to Win10 Home Single Language, a difference that matters), it normally would have worked OK, especially deleting all partitions for truly clean install.

What do you mean by "downgraded" to WIn 8.1 - reinstalled Win 8.1 from manufacturer supplied media or other means ?

(wouldn't expect a difference in 2nd attempt having formatted C: other than an extra recovery partition as a result)

Same as what you started with, just that you apparently took a cmd prompt rather than routing through the "Get Windows 10" (GWX) icon in the system notification tray.

Word Man, Oct 23, 2015
  7. yingjai Win User
    I'm sure I chose Windows 10 Home and not Home Single Language for the USB. Would the system information screen show the distinction? I have screenshots of all the activation screens.

I don't know where my Windows 8 disk is or if MSI even provided me with any. I just downloaded the Windows 8.1 MCT and used that to do a clean install. It activated as soon as I connected to the internet.

The first time I upgraded, I had the Get Windows 10 icon in the tray. It never did anything and I got tired of waiting, so I looked up how to trigger the download of Windows 10 manually through CMD. When I reinstalled Windows 8.1, the icon never came back (although I didn't spend too much time in Windows 8.1). This was after I updated everything. I then used the USB to upgrade to Windows 10 and it was fine, but when I tried to clean install after, the same issue appeared.

Long story short, I used the Windows 10 MCT to upgrade from Windows 8.1 and it activated, but using the same USB to clean install resulted in a blocked key.

yingjai, Oct 23, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Definitely sounds like a Microsoft Activation Server issue. So, you can call Microsoft and insist that they activate your Windows 10 for you. You can use Showkey from this forum to get your Windows 8 product key from bios:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

OR, you can use the method below, but you will have to go back to Windows 8.1 first, get the file you need for Windows 10, then clean install Windows 10 again:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

OR you can wait and hope that your unactivated Windows 10 updates to the build that is supposed to allow you to activate it with your Windows 8 product key reported to be coming in November, then enter your Windows 8 product key obtained with Showkey and hope it works.

NavyLCDR, Oct 23, 2015
  9. yingjai Win User
    I'll try the second method first. I'm a little picky and I want to delete the other partitions with a clean install. I think Windows 8 creates 1 partition more than Windows 10. If it doesn't work, then I'll try the other options. Thanks.

Edit:
    It worked! Thanks a lot. You saved me from pulling all my hair out.

Will I have to paste this GenuineTicket.xml every time I clean install or just this time?

yingjai, Oct 23, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Glad it worked for you! After the first upgrade, you are supposed to be able to clean install with nothing extra-just skip the product key entry. I would keep the .xml file in a backup, though, just in case. At least once you have it, it doesn't add much effort to the clean install process.

NavyLCDR, Oct 23, 2015
  11. yingjai Win User
    That's fine. Thanks for the help.

yingjai, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Followed steps for clean install from upgrade, but won't activate - Similar Threads - Followed steps clean

2. What now? Followed step-by-step to clean install Win10 and I'm stuck here

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What now? Followed step-by-step to clean install Win10 and I'm stuck here: https://imgur.com/a/3y5j1aL I followed a tedious and tiring guide on how to clean install Windows 10. Deleted the other partitions as said, and now I can't install the OS. I tried troubleshooting via cmd using another guide, and nothing. Did I fuck up my hard drive? I have...
  3. W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Clean Install - Detailed Steps: Hello All, At long long last I have the time to switch my desktop from W7 to W10. Am posting a list of what I think are the detailed actions I will have to take for a clean W10 install. Would be great if everyone can have a quick look at my list and post if I have missed...
  4. W10 Clean Instal - Detailed Steps

W10 Clean Instal - Detailed Steps: Hello All, At long long last I have the time to switch my desktop from W7 to W10. Am posting a list of what I think are the detailed actions I will have to take for a clean W10 install. Would be great if everyone can have a quick look at my list and post if I have missed...
  5. Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7: Hello, I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7. I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and it did activated but after a clean install it just saying I can't activate it. The actions I did: 1. Install win7 on...
  6. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating: Did a clean install after a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, from a disk created from an ISO from media creator...all went ok, but says Windows not activated....just telling me to go to the store and buy a licence or enter a new key.... It was activated before I did the clean...
  7. Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?

Upgrade to Win10 followed by clean install to a new SSD?: I have duly upgraded my Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10 and it is shown as 'Activated': I have also downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and saved that to a DVD: I now want to change my boot HDD to an SSD. Would the following method make sense? 1. Install the SSD and clone my...
  8. Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7

Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7: Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit when Windows 10 launched, then a few months later, around New Year I decided to do a clean install. I made an installation disc with the program from Microsoft's website and did the procedure, skipping...
  9. Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate

Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate: Ever since upgrading I've been running into issues such as not being able to install updates and not being able to customize my desktop. After doing some research, it seems that this is because my copy of Win 10 is not activated. As the title states, not knowing better, I...
  10. 7 Ultimate Upgrade to 10 Pro followed by clean install.

7 Ultimate Upgrade to 10 Pro followed by clean install.: I upgraded my wife's PC from 7 Ultimate to 10 Pro skipping the Product Key input screens. The 10 Pro activated. I then clean installed 10 Pro skipping the Product Key input screens and it activated. Interesting fact, the clean install didn't show the roundy thingy progress...