Windows 10: Font smoothing updates?

Discus and support Font smoothing updates? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I skipped Windows 8.1 after trying it for a while since font smoothing was terribly bad in some parts of the OS (such as Metro) and I found tons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by msamuel8, Sep 25, 2014.

1. msamuel8 Win User

Font smoothing updates?

Hi,

I skipped Windows 8.1 after trying it for a while since font smoothing was terribly bad in some parts of the OS (such as Metro) and I found tons of threads on forums that tried to solve this problem for people who experience bad looking fonts like me but I didn't have the time & patience to go through all the testing thinking that this problem shouldn't be existent in the first place! so I skipped Windows 8.1 entirely.

Now that Windows 9 has been in the hands of some people, I'd like to ask if I should feel optimistic about any updates regarding this matter or no noticeable updates? The leaked screenshots doesn't show anything clearly for me.

Please let me know your feedback & opinion about any new improvements to the font smoothing used in Windows 9 compared to its predecessor & how does it compare to one of its main rivals, OS X Mavericks?

Regards...

:)

msamuel8, Sep 25, 2014
  2. hokoonho Win User

N82 v31 is online!!

The font smoothing caused by N-gage (orange icon), after starting N-gage orange icon, font smoothing occur, but not all text smoothing.

EURO 1 bro have this "FEATURE"?:smileyhappy:

hokoonho, Sep 25, 2014
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    blurry fonts windows 10

Make sure 'Font Smoothing' is turned on.

Erdeslawe, Sep 25, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Font smoothing updates?

I don't know if anyone has a copy of Win 9 to test yet.
    That will not happen until next week or the first week of October

BunnyJ, Sep 25, 2014
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Why is it when something goes wrong with a computer the first thing that causes the problem is the OS regardless if it is Apple, Linux, or Microsoft who created the OS. It couldn't be the computer or the devices within the computer just maybe the individual who owns it is causing the problem. . .no it just can't be anything put the OS. . .how silly of me to think otherwise. . .*Doh

6. CountMike New Member
    Font smoothing has very little to do with hardware specially when it shows up only at certain places but not others. It may be influenced by GPU driver but that would show everywhere.

CountMike, Sep 25, 2014
  7. Chuck38 Win User
    *Ditto

Chuck38, Sep 26, 2014
  8. Mystere Win User

Font smoothing updates?

Actually, Font Smoothing has quite a bit to do with hardware. Sub-pixel rasterization is hardware dependent. Different displays have different orientations of their individual red green and blue pixels.

The reason you see fonts look different in different places is because different software renders fonts with different technology. Some software uses the built-in rendering, while others use "generic" rendering that doesn't try to use sub-pixel rendering. There are at least half a dozen different rendering engines in common use in Windows apps, from GDI and GDI+ to WinRT (ie modern/metro), to custom engines used in either Firefox or Chrome (can't remember which). Some of them depend on whether you are running your monitors in native resolution, some of them don't.. some of them depend on the orientation of the sub-pixels, some of them don't... it's a crazy world to get this right.

This is one reason why some people see the problem, and others don't... and why quite often the problem does not show up if you simply take a screenshot and let someone else see it. You HAVE to see it on the screen of the user's hardware to see it.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Font smoothing updates?

1. Font smoothing updates? - Similar Threads - Font smoothing updates

2. Preeti font is not smoothly Running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preeti font is not smoothly Running: Preeti font Nepali is not working properly on my windows 11 from the beginning. I have microsoft 2010. and US, UK, Australia English keyboard. Nepali typing is smooth on Nepali keyboard but not in other keyboard. Specially, Shift + F, ],', Alt + number, are not working, they...
  3. Preeti font is not smoothly Running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preeti font is not smoothly Running: Preeti font Nepali is not working properly on my windows 11 from the beginning. I have microsoft 2010. and US, UK, Australia English keyboard. Nepali typing is smooth on Nepali keyboard but not in other keyboard. Specially, Shift + F, ],', Alt + number, are not working, they...
  4. Performance impact of disabling font smoothing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance impact of disabling font smoothing: Was looking for ways to optimize Windows and found this article. Tip #6 suggests choosing the performance option. On doing so, improvements are noticed. However, the fonts edges not looking smooth dampens the UX. On a fresh install, it would help if someone can confirm the...
  5. Performance impact of disabling font smoothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Performance impact of disabling font smoothing: Was looking for ways to optimize Windows and found this article. Tip #6 suggests choosing the performance option. On doing so, improvements are noticed. However, the fonts edges not looking smooth dampens the UX. On a fresh install, it would help if someone can confirm the...
  6. Performance impact of disabling font smoothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Remove windows 10 font smoothing?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove windows 10 font smoothing?: Hello, everyone. I have this problem in Windows 10. I don't want it, I like windows 7. But, hardware changes and stigma for anything you like personally are gradually and forcefully being changed in a direction I can't control. i.e. companies requiring a certain browser, or...
  8. Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows How to Enable or Disable Font Smoothing in Windows Font smoothing is used by default in Windows to make the jagged edges of text look smoother and more readable. This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable...
  9. How to change font smoothing in control panel?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change font smoothing in control panel?: It is possible to disable Font Smoothing in Control Panel? [img] I mean all text sharp as This (Windows 7)? [img] Thanks 106051
  10. disable font-smoothing in Microsoft Edge

in Browsers and Email
    disable font-smoothing in Microsoft Edge: Does anyone know how to disable font-smoothing in MS Edge? The system-wide setting doesnt work. 10692