Windows 10: Fonts getting uninstalled after restart

Discus and support Fonts getting uninstalled after restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. Eversince, I am facing the trouble of fonts. Fonts are disappearing all of a sudden when I restart.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by archz2, Jul 2, 2016.

1. archz2 Win User

Fonts getting uninstalled after restart

I recently upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. Eversince, I am facing the trouble of fonts. Fonts are disappearing all of a sudden when I restart. My applications fail to run if I do not re install the font after my computer has restarted. I ran sfc /scannow command in safe mode and it found some errors and fixed it. After that when I restarted my PC, the font problem came again. My fonts (more than 2500 fonts) disappeared and I was left with some 20-25 fonts in windows.

I did a windows repair install via a bootable USB using an ISO image. Shockingly when my windows installation reached 75% approximately, the PC restarted and all the fonts during installation went to wingdings as seen in the image below. Even after that the problem stays.

Fonts getting uninstalled after restart [​IMG]

Please help me to fix this trouble.

I also did enable default font settings but the problem is still there. Of course, this issue will be solved if I do a clean windows 10 installation, but I don't want the pain of such a long procedure and it will also make me install all the heavy software all over again.

:)

archz2, Jul 2, 2016
  2. rock9 Win User

I did an in place upgrade to Windows
    10 from Windows 7. I also did in place repair upgrade using Windows 10 Bootable USB as already stated in my post itself.
    It didn't solve my issue. I made a new user account, still the problem persists. I did repair install also after making new user account. Still no luck.

rock9, Jul 2, 2016
  3. rock9 Win User

I recently upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. Eversince, I am facing the trouble of fonts. Fonts are disappearing all of a sudden when I restart. My applications fail to run if I do not re install the font after my computer has restarted. I ran sfc /scannow
    command in safe mode and it found some errors and fixed it. After that when I restarted my PC, the font problem came again. My fonts (more than 2500 fonts) disappeared and I was left with some 20-25 fonts in windows.

I did a windows repair install via a bootable USB using an ISO image. Shockingly when my windows installation reached 75% approximately, the PC restarted and all the fonts during installation went to wingdings as seen in the image below. Even after that the
    problem stays.

Please help me to fix this trouble.

I also did enable default font settings but the problem is still there. Of course, this issue will be solved if I do a clean windows 10 installation, but I don't want the pain of such a long procedure and it will also make me install all the heavy software
    all over again.

rock9, Jul 2, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Where did you get these fonts from? Windows 10 is notorious for cleaning out stuff that is not licensed by Microsoft.

Suggest to keep the extra fonts on a USB stick.

bro67, Jul 2, 2016
  5. archz2 Win User
    I have got these fonts from my friends and various websites like dafont.com and font squirrel. I have been using these fonts since the days I had windows xp . Since then my fonts backup folder keeps increasing and I copy them to my machines. I have this PC on which I am facing trouble as posted and my laptop is running windows 8.1 which also has these fonts but I haven't faced any such trouble on my laptop.

archz2, Jul 2, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
  7. archz2 Win User
    archz2, Jul 2, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

Things like fonts are the same in 8 as in 10.
    I'm not really too versed in font problems, but I have a couple of questions, that might help, if someone that is looks in an your thread:

Is it just custom fonts you added that disappear, or Windows default fonts(the ones that come with the install) too?

Is it just the font cache, or are the fonts actually uninstalled?

If it is the font cache, are you using a system cleaner like Ccleaner, and maybe have Font Cache under System checked?

Cliff S, Jul 2, 2016
  9. archz2 Win User
    Windows fonts are also uninstalled. Arial too!

Not just the font cache. Font files get removed and I have to reinstall.

When I restart, the fonts in windows interface like clock and icons also change due to removal of font files.

archz2, Jul 2, 2016
  10. archz2 Win User
    Here is the screenshot of the fonts that I'm left with after disappearing act of my fonts after windows restarts

archz2, Jul 2, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    I have posted in the Additional Help thread, and explained your situation and provided a link to here.
    Let's see if anyone else better versed can help.
    It might take a bit, remember the members here are spread all over the world(different time zones).

Cliff S, Jul 2, 2016
  12. archz2 Win User
    Thanks. Please provide the link of the thread where you posted this matter.

archz2, Jul 2, 2016
  13. Fonts getting uninstalled after restart

Just a quick drive-by Cliff

archz2: please launch Command Prompt (Admin) and enter the following

cd c:\
    dir /a

cd windows

(post a screen shot, then close Command)

Thanks - back to Cliff

Slartybart, Jul 2, 2016
  14. archz2 Win User
    Here it is

archz2, Jul 2, 2016
  15. Cliff S New Member
    You need to also post the window shot for Code: cd windows [/quote] Code: dir /a[/quote] Also, some members are thinking in the direction of an infection.

Do you have Safe Boot turned on in BIOS?
    And are you using Defender of a 3rd party AV?

Defender now has a built in Offline scanner you can run.
    Just give the following in an Admin Command Prompt, let it run and reboot automatically back into Windows: the tutorial Windows Defender Offline Scan in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Code: PowerShell Start-MpWDOScan[/quote]

Cliff S, Jul 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Fonts getting uninstalled after restart - Similar Threads - Fonts getting uninstalled

2. Font changed after a restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Font changed after a restart.: I'm not sure what happened, but my system fonts have changed to Arial. This happened a few days ago I believe after a Windows update. . I've tried everything besides installing a fresh copy of Windows 11. I've cleared caches, reg keys, sfc scans, and I still can't get the...
  3. Font changed after a restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Font changed after a restart.: I'm not sure what happened, but my system fonts have changed to Arial. This happened a few days ago I believe after a Windows update. . I've tried everything besides installing a fresh copy of Windows 11. I've cleared caches, reg keys, sfc scans, and I still can't get the...
  4. Font will not uninstall

in Windows 10 Customization
    Font will not uninstall: I have a font that seems to be "stuck" in my system. I've uninstalled the font family Open Sans but two of them still remain. They do not show up in the Control Panel font section, but they do show up as an option to use in apps. They seem to display correctly, at least...
  5. Apps Getting Uninstalled Upon Restart

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Apps Getting Uninstalled Upon Restart: Greetings, everyone. I have ran into a problem a while back, with apps constantly getting uninstalled after each system reboot. These apps include: Xbox Game Bar Movies & TV Groove Music Mail and Calendar Your Phone Xbox Console Companion This happens on both of my...
  6. Uninstalling a font that can't be uninstalled

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Uninstalling a font that can't be uninstalled: [ATTACH] Hello, I've got a font that I can't seem to be able to delete. It appears in Settings > Fonts, but there is no uninstall button next to it. And it doesn't appear in C:/Windows/Fonts and neither in the registry list, it's like the font doesn't exist, but yet it's...
  7. Custom fonts not accessible after restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Custom fonts not accessible after restart: After restarting my PC, my custom installed fonts are no longer accessible by any program. In the windows setting menu, it is not listed as a font, but the file is still present in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder. Once I go to the original .ttf font file and install it, it asks...
  8. Font Settings App Crashes After Uninstalling Fonts

Font Settings App Crashes After Uninstalling Fonts: As the subject clearly states, after uninstalling a single font, usually, the font settings app crashes immediately. Sometimes I can uninstall two to three, but 99% of the time it's just the one before crashing. I first went to this discussion;...
  9. Uninstalling a font.

Uninstalling a font.: I'm trying to uninstall a font that I downloaded that is not rendering correctly. it says it is 'in use' or 'open in System'. I have tried various methods including the Registry Editor - the font is not there. Please help....
  10. Fonts Will Not Uninstall

in Windows 10 Support
    Fonts Will Not Uninstall: Adobe Photoshop is so slow that it is unusable and i am 90% sure it is because i have a lot of fonts. So i deleted them from my windows font folder. But they refuse to go away. the fonts still appear and are still usable in gIMP and Photoshop. So deleted every single...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fonts uninstalling after restart