Windows 10: For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection"

Discus and support For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I try to run anything that uses mmc.exe, I get the message "This app has been blocked for your protection" and "An administrator has blocked you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ricecrispies, May 25, 2017.

1. For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection"

When I try to run anything that uses mmc.exe, I get the message "This app has been blocked for your protection" and "An administrator has blocked you from running this app." This happens even if I try to run whatever it is as administrator. This is preventing me using the services control panel and the device manager.

The background is that I have just upgraded to the Creator's Edition using the upgrade tool because Windows Update isn't working for me. The upgrade didn't fix the problem with Windows Update, but it appears to have created this additional problem.

:)

ricecrispies, May 25, 2017
  2. Anne Fuj Win User

This app has been blocked for your protection

Hello,

Windows 10 has security features like Defender SmartScreen built in that sometimes blocks apps and programs that you really want.

You may need to give permission to that app/program. To do this:

• Navigate to the file or program that's being blocked by SmartScreen.
    • Right-click the file.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click the checkbox next to Unblock so that a checkmark appears.
    • Click Apply.

You should be able to open the app/program safely. If you're still having an issue with running it, try opening the program as an Administrator in addition to the steps above.

Let us know how things go.

Anne Fuj, May 25, 2017
  3. THIS APP HAS BEEN BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

How can I get past "This App has been blocked for your protection" in Windows 10? I need to install a valid program, but even when I try to do as an administrator, I'm told to "see the administrator."

JamesHolmes1, May 25, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection"

I would try to fix update problem first. It also could have the same roots.

D you have any Grup policy restrictions applied? Tools like Cryptoprevent can do that..

Which version is your system? (15063.332 is the latest)

AndreTen, May 26, 2017
  5. Thanks for replying. I have version 15063.332. I don't have any group policy restrictions to the best of my knowledge. I posted on the Microsoft forum as well and the Microsoft person suggested doing a clean boot and that sounds reasonable, so I'm going to try that first. If that gets mmc.exe working, then I can stop the UpdateOrchestrator service and if I can do that I have a chance of repairing WindowsUpdate.

ricecrispies, May 26, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    AndreTen, May 26, 2017
  7. I finally managed to stop the wuauserv and bits services and delete the contents of \Windows\SoftwareDistribution, so hopefully that will have solved the update problems. I was able to run an app that uses mmc.exe (namely the Services control panel) when logged in to the admin account, but I still can't run it when I am logged in as a normal administrator.

ricecrispies, May 27, 2017
  8. For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection"

How do I get round this if the "app" in question that is being blocked is mme.exe, which is an essential part of Windows and is necessary in order to use things like control panels and the device manager? I can't switch to the administrator account every time I want to use a control panel.

ricecrispies, May 27, 2017
  9. Have you tried removing catroot2's folder?

Since you can not run system apps because of an invalid certificate/publisher.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/catroo...-reset-windows

TairikuOkami, May 27, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Do you mean "mmc.exe" instead?

Brink, May 27, 2017
  11. Yes, that's the one. I keep getting MMC and MME muddled up in my brain.

ricecrispies, May 28, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    LOL, I can relate to that. *Wink

Are you getting the exact warning message as the example in this tutorial when you try to open MMC? Usually, you shouldn't. Instead, you should just see a message that basically says you can't use unless you're an administrator.

If you like, you could try using the method in the tutorial below to create an elevated shortcut for your standard user account that should allow you to run it.

Elevated Program Shortcut - Create for Standard User - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, May 28, 2017
  13. For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection"

No, I get the same message. Graphically it looks a bit different, presumably due to different Windows 10 versions, but the same content.

I'm not sure if the elevated shortcut would work because I never try to start MMC directly. It gets called by other programs. Someone suggested (with instructions!) somewhere else that I try removing the catroot2 folder. I'll give this a try once I've reassured myself that it's a safe thing to do.

ricecrispies, May 28, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    @ricecrispies

Your statement above....

Try to start it yourself. See what happens. It is only a shell for the Microsoft Management Console.

In the search at bottom left of taskbar (Cortana box), type MMC. First choice at top of results box should be

For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection" [​IMG]

Click that choice. You should get

For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection" [​IMG]

It doesn't do anything by itself, it's only a shell. It needs "snap-ins" added to it in order to actually do something. Event Viewer is an example of a MMC with a snap-in for viewing system logged events.

If you can get to this, then your other "programs" that are calling MMC don't have the privilege to run it.

Be cautious deleting Catroot or Catroot2. They are used by Windows Update. More info here: How do I Delete all contents of catroot2 folder but leave the catroot2 - Microsoft Community

f14tomcat, May 28, 2017
  15. Finally got around to trying deleting catroot2 today and .................
    ............. it didn't work *Biggrin

ricecrispies, May 30, 2017
Thema:

For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection"

1. For mmc.exe I get "This app has been blocked for your protection" - Similar Threads - mmc exe app

2. This APP has been blocked for your protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    This APP has been blocked for your protection: Hello, This game I am playing has just had an update. I was trying to install it but it doesn't let me fully access the client loader. When Its finishing the update install the following error appears *Use Account Control This app has been blocked for your protection....
  3. This app has been blocked for your protection

This app has been blocked for your protection: I'm getting this error. I'm trying to run device manager because after a restart one of my dual screen monitors isn't being detected - a problem that recurs regularly. I wouldn't mind solving both of these problems [ATTACH]...
  4. 'this app has been blocked for your protection'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    'this app has been blocked for your protection': the following box pops up when I go to use a program that has been on computer since February this year and used then as well. has not been used nearly 2 months, then go to use and this happens. I have norton on comp from before non-loading program was on comp box ......
  5. This app has been blocked for your protection

This app has been blocked for your protection: When ever I try to open Windows device manager I see this message : "An administrator has blocked you from running this app, for more info contact the administrator" MMC.exe But I am the administrator ! If not how to know it. I have disabled my antivirus still the same...
  6. THIS APP HAS BEEN BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

THIS APP HAS BEEN BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION: THIS APP HAS BEEN BLOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-app-has-been-blocked-for-your-protection/2c72b92a-e3f3-41cb-b7c4-00537d4f75a0"
  7. MMC. is blocked. this app has been blocked for your protection. an administrator has...

MMC. is blocked. this app has been blocked for your protection. an administrator has...: So far I've tried everything I can. I checked for malware, changed the security settings and took ownership of it, but it didn't help. I've disabled smart screen and changed the UAC settings, reset the local security policy to default and chacked in group policy if there are...
  8. This app has been blocked for your protection.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    This app has been blocked for your protection.: Windows won't let me download my printer driver on my new laptop. It asks for Administrator permission, except I am the administrator [ATTACH]...
  9. This app has been blocked for your protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This app has been blocked for your protection: The latest update of Win 10 has obviously tightened up security . . . to the point where it won't allow me run SqlBackUpandFTP any more. I logged in as the (hidden) Administrator and got it working there OK, but when I Logged in as myself again, it still wouldn't work...
  10. "This App has been blocked for your protection"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "This App has been blocked for your protection": I'm trying to install additional driver for my printer/scanner from the CD but I keep getting the message above when I try autorun or setup from the disc with the following additional comment: "An administrator has blocked you from running this app, For more information,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. this app has been blocked for your protection mmc.exe

2. this app has been blocked by your system administrator windows 10 mmc.exe