Windows 10: For ones that still do not like Start menu in Windows 10

Discus and support For ones that still do not like Start menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ones who brought you Start8, now bring you Start10. As for me never a bother in Windows 8.1,if interested visit Stardock.com zlsjl4mhbeg 15755 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jds63, Aug 12, 2015.

1. jds63 Win User

For ones that still do not like Start menu in Windows 10

Ones who brought you Start8, now bring you Start10. As for me never a bother in Windows 8.1,if interested visit Stardock.com

[youtube]zlsjl4mhbeg[/youtube]

:)

jds63, Aug 12, 2015

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 12, 2015
  3. My Windows Start Menu Layout Has Changed

Hi Soumyadeep,

The first picture is the new Start Menu after Anniversary Update. Microsoft improved Start Menu to make it easier for users to find all their applications. The Windows Anniversary Update introduced several new features, one of these is the
    new display of Start Menu. Compared to the Windows 10 classic Start Menu, the names of the menu list like File Explorer and Settings are not present but it's still accessible.

Regards.

Antoneth Ber, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

I've been running it for a few days now and like it much more than the Win 10 Start Menu.

For ones that still do not like Start menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

I'm using the Modern style.

Ztruker, Aug 12, 2015
  5. XweAponX Win User
    ClassicShell also works well for Windows 10- I use Start8 in my Windows 8 machine.

XweAponX, Aug 12, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Nice to know both Software's work with no issues in Windows 10.

jds63, Aug 12, 2015
  7. iBawbag Win User
    I got start10 too but would like this Hybrid version they had in earlier builds.

iBawbag, Aug 12, 2015
  8. altae Win User

+1 for Classic Shell. It is free and by far the most customizable start menu replacement available.

altae, Aug 12, 2015
  9. I actually like the side scrolling Windows 8.1 start screen (as a desktop user no less). I've used the option to give Windows 10 the start screen back rather than the hybrid menu. I think Windows 10 as a start screen is an improvement, mostly better than 8.1, except a couple of issues: the thing scrolls vertically instead of horizontally, and when I try to move tiles it's a little glitchy for me where it was not in 8.1.

I think I like the start screen because it's almost like something I dreamed up years ago. Close enough that I do like it anyway.

I can't see going back to the old start menu, although I agree the implementation isn't the best.

These look like nifty programs even though I won't be using them.

growapair30, Aug 12, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    I've accustomed myself to start menu in both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, although these 2 bring more features to ones who want it, make them useful too.

jds63, Aug 12, 2015
  11. Dch48 Win User
    Another +1 from me.

Dch48, Aug 13, 2015
  12. JoeShades Win User
    Oh yeah well +2 from me

JoeShades, Aug 13, 2015
  13. PJD
    pjd Win User

*Ditto from me too - can't see the point of learning new ways of doing the same thing just 'cause it's 'prettier'

But I can't pin gpedit.msc to the classic start menu; and I can't find a way to get at its settings if the start button is hidden.

I've hidden the Start button since Win2000 at least. No the point in wasting taskbar space when there's a keyboard button under your left thumb.

14. altae Win User
    To pin gpedit to the start menu: Right click on the desktop, select "New\Shortcut", as path you write gpedit.msc, click on next and give it a name. Afterwards you can pin this shortcut to the start menu.

The Classic Shell settings can be accessed by the corresponding shortcut under "Programs" in the start menu.

altae, Aug 13, 2015
  15. PJD
    pjd Win User
    @altae - thanks I'll give those a whirl, I should have thought of them myself *Redface

It would be nice if classic shell settings appeared in the control panel. I used to have gpedit there, courtesy of a Brink 'fix', I seem to have lost that in the upgrade.

Done - I seem to have lost most of my registry hacks, no problems as I only had a few - kill right menu key survived.

Thema:

1. For ones that still do not like Start menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - ones still Start

2. How Do I Group Windows 11 Start Menu Icons Like Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Do I Group Windows 11 Start Menu Icons Like Windows 10?: I have again upgraded Windows 10 Professional to Windows 11 Professional on my 5 year old computer, to support a friend who just ordered a new computer. I really want to get the Start Menu to at least resemble the way I had it in Windows 10... icons grouped by function and...
  3. Windows 11 Start Menu Like Windows 10

Windows 11 Start Menu Like Windows 10: Since the follow update when looking into this, "* Update 23 Nov 2021: This method no longer works because Microsoft banned the change to the Windows 10 Start Menu after updating Windows 11 to build 22000.65."Is there any way Windows 11 users can customize and add app tiles...
  4. Windows 11 Start Menu Like Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Start Menu Like Windows 10: Since the follow update when looking into this, "* Update 23 Nov 2021: This method no longer works because Microsoft banned the change to the Windows 10 Start Menu after updating Windows 11 to build 22000.65."Is there any way Windows 11 users can customize and add app tiles...
  5. Windows Start menu one click to show all programs like windows XP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start menu one click to show all programs like windows XP: I'm wondering why I can not operate the Windows 10 desktop start menu same like in Windows XP. In XP we could able to click on 'All Programs' and load all software installed and open sub folders with just hover over with mouse. we did all these things in one hand.but in later...
  6. Windows Start menu one click to show all programs like windows XP

Windows Start menu one click to show all programs like windows XP: I'm wondering why I can not operate the Windows 10 desktop start menu same like in Windows XP. In XP we could able to click on 'All Programs' and load all software installed and open sub folders with just hover over with mouse. we did all these things in one hand.but in later...
  7. XP like start menu for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    XP like start menu for Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu is too complex to operate. We always have to type the word to find a program or unless needs to use two fingers to go through the program list. New so called 'Tiled' layout is really unhelpful and useless feature. Are there any option in windows 10 to...
  8. Start menu search like Windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search like Windows 7: Hello, I have lots of files in my pc and I usually search them by typing phrases I remember are containted in them. This used to work fine in windows 7's start menu, but windows 10 does not show all the files. It shows a few in the best match window, and then I have to...
  9. Windows 10 start menu still freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 start menu still freezes: I re-upgraded from 7 to 10 yesterday to give this OS another try. Most all of it has gone smoothly except for the start menu won't come up half the time. I ran sfc /scannow, no integrity violations. I changed the log in creds and put in a password. The reason being, the only...
  10. Start menu, still messy?!

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, still messy?!: Any option, to make my start menu a little bit useful? I only have 4 recelty installed apps on the top, the rest of it is full of softwares in aphabetical order *Sad I dont care of those, but there is no option to hide them. SHow me a video, or any instruction, how to...