Windows 10: For those who have W7 keys but not the iso's - LEGAL Ms versions

Discus and support For those who have W7 keys but not the iso's - LEGAL Ms versions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there While W10 can still be installed as an update you might want to use W7 as a base system to update from. For those who have old Technet /... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Apr 26, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

For those who have W7 keys but not the iso's - LEGAL Ms versions

Hi there

While W10 can still be installed as an update you might want to use W7 as a base system to update from.

For those who have old Technet / Msdn / Retail W7 keys but not the iso's you can get them LEGALLY from here (note you Must have your own keys). These are the old Digital River versions and SHA1 etc is 100% the same as the original files on Technet etc.

You need to download and save as a torrent file (don't die with horror - clean legal torrents are OK) and then start up a torrent client. These aren't those dubious files from illegal sites.

Microsoft DigitalRiver Mirror

I found actually I needed to re-install W7 as a VM to check whether some programs on W10 were working correctly so it's not always bonkers keeping old OS'es around.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 26, 2017
  2. Dave2003 Win User

Can I upgrade to Windows 10 on 29th July?

Microsoft may possibly make an ISO available by legal torrent so those that cant wait can jump right in and do an in place upgrade.

If not then we will have to hope that some one from the general public who gets the first wave creates an ISO from their ESD and makes it available so that others can upgrade the same day. While technically this would not be an official version, it will
    more than likely still be legal and activate.

Dave2003, Apr 26, 2017
  3. Confitea Win User
    For those who have restarts problem

and this backup is for asha 311

Confitea, Apr 26, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Or use link from this forum which downloads direct from MS.

See post #3 from Kyhi's excellent set of links

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums

For those who have W7 keys but not the iso's - LEGAL Ms versions [​IMG]

link here (credit to @Kyhi) - Bootstrap Example

cereberus, Apr 26, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'm always suspicious of any "special downloaders" - even if in this case the provenance is OK. I'd always prefer a direct Link to the actual download image or a valid Torrent file which also downloads the proper file --Legal torrents can be fast and save a lot of load on the servers hosting the content.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 27, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Which is exactly what the HeiDoc tool generates - a direct link to Microsoft's download servers.

Personally I'd be more suspicious of downloading from a third-party source.

7. Fafhrd Win User
    If you run the Heidock tool, you don't have to download using it - it's a bit clunky, with the ISO opening already mounted from some obscure no-name temp folder on the user's appdata path such as:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\T5QLPI0M\Win10_English_x64.iso

You can just click one or more of the "Copy Link..." buttons on the right, and paste it into your browser to make sure the ISO is downloaded from an official site and directly to your downloads folder.

It's not a torrent, so you aren't dependent on seeders for your older, less popular software, being online, or feeling obliged to seed back, and is generally as fast as the MS server allows, depending on traffic.

Fafhrd, Apr 27, 2017
  8. For those who have W7 keys but not the iso's - LEGAL Ms versions

*Ditto To the second comment about third party sources, especially bit torrent.

alphanumeric, Apr 27, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I'll agree that "dubious 3rd party sources" should be avoided -- but why do you need a program to connect to the direct download link -- why can't people simply use the browser to download directly.

Legal torrents from OK verified sources are just fine -- a lot of recognized Linux distros are pushed out this way - I hardly think that companies like Red Hat or SUSE would support this method of distribution if not OK.

Plenty of decent Mirror sites also operate this way for example Warwick University (Shakespeare Country) in the UK has a huge mirror site offering loads of open source software. I think another one is University of Kent at Canterbury - and loads of similar sites in other countries.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 27, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Because Microsoft have pulled TechBench but the ISOs you would have found there are still on the servers. HeiDoc generates the same links you would have found on the now defunct TechBench.

11. Superfly Win User
    I'll just jump on the bandwagon.. as I fully support my mates @Bree and @alphanumeric

@jimbo45 - You make a valid point - albeit torrents have a bad rap - magnets use hash to download the correct file from PnP... MS has yet to latch onto that...(I dunno if the updates from networks even works... I suppose the intention there outweighed the excecution) but for the the moment Heidoc/Techbench is fine.

Superfly, Apr 27, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    It is tricky getting Windows 8 though for some reason.

7 and 10 you can easily download from MS. 8 you have to look elsewhere.

13. z3r010 Win User

z3r010, Apr 27, 2017
  14. There still is an official MCT for Windows 7, Software Download Only problem is it asks for a key for verification, and only accepts Retail keys. It even rejects my TechNet and MSDN keys. I have yet to ever get it to work. The HeiDoc links could very well be these ISO's? Or the links it would give you if you could get it to work. I've asked why it wants a key when the other two MCT's don't, on the private Microsoft Yammer group and it just fell on deaf ears. The only response I got was that, "that's the way its supposed to work". *really

alphanumeric, Apr 27, 2017
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

these download a .img type file --OK using vmware to load these as a virtual ISO works --not sure either if renaming them to .iso would fix anything -- strange that these though are in .img format rather than .iso or should one sane as xxx.iso when saving rather than use the default name.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 28, 2017
Thema:

1. For those who have W7 keys but not the iso's - LEGAL Ms versions - Similar Threads - those keys iso's

2. A request to those who have Realtek HD Audio Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A request to those who have Realtek HD Audio Manager: Hello.I know that many have been facing the issue that 'Realtek HD Audio Manager' is missing. In the latest Realtek HD Audio Driver update, 6.0.9126.1 released on 3/2/2021 though, Realtek added DTS Audio Control as a replacement, but it provides less features and is more...
  3. W7 to W10 retail version product keys.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W7 to W10 retail version product keys.: Hi forum members. I'm hoping that someone here can shed some light on a problem I have identifying which W10 Pro upgrades I can reuse. I used to have a number of Windows7 PC's with retail Pro licenses which have now been dismantled. I had taken advantage of the free Windows10...
  4. Are those cheap MS Office 2019 activation keys at online stores legal ?

Are those cheap MS Office 2019 activation keys at online stores legal ?: Hi, I noticed that a lot of sales going on at online store for MS Office 2016/19 at a very cheap price. If a seller offer a new Window 10 Product key and an MS Office 2019 Activation key and the steps to download, install and activate, can there be any chance of deceit...
  5. Who Uses EaseUS? Is what they are doing, legal?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Who Uses EaseUS? Is what they are doing, legal?: Howdy all. I'm a reseller for EaseUS and a customer who purchased partition master unlimited come to me complaining that his key was locked, keep in mind this is "UNLIMITED" and advertised as "install on unlimited pc's/laptops" now lets get to the live chat screenshot. Also I...
  6. Are those cheap windows licenses on eBay valid/legal?

Are those cheap windows licenses on eBay valid/legal?: Introduction that you might want to skip: So, I am thinking of setting up my own server for the fun of it. Not something like a home toy, but actual server hardware, running 24/7 and serving people me being the first, but a couple of others as well. I would normally go...
  7. for those who cant open stuff in taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    for those who cant open stuff in taskbar: hit the windows button, it could help, it helped for me. the windows button is on the bottom left. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/for-those-who-cant-open-stuff-in-taskbar/7a236740-1b87-4122-91b6-975b5bfdb980
  8. Quick RAM question for those who may have done it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick RAM question for those who may have done it: According to this: https://www.compuram.de/blog/en/how-much-ram-can-be-addressed-under-the-current-32-bit-and-64-bit-operating-systems/ my Win 10 Home 64 bit can use 128 GB of RAM. Other sources say the same. Is this legit? Have I finally reached a point in my life where I...
  9. Looking for those who have a 5.1 setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Looking for those who have a 5.1 setup: I have a set of Z506 and I cant seem to get the two rear speakers to work. I double checked my work and still nothing. I already have windows setup to run in 5.1, and even there the two rears wont play a sound. HELP its driving me insane. I have a Z87 sabertooth. 30809
  10. For those who did not get the download...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    For those who did not get the download...: I was waiting (not so patiently) for Win10 to become available on my Windows 7 PC. I broke down last night and tried everything I could to get it to download. When all attempts came up blank and all I saw was "We will let you know when your download is ready"... or something...