Windows 10: Forbes Article About Windows 10

Discus and support Forbes Article About Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I came across this article on Forbes about how Windows 10 is starting to look like a bad deal. Article here. In a nutshell, the author claims that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thunderclap, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Forbes Article About Windows 10

I came across this article on Forbes about how Windows 10 is starting to look like a bad deal. Article here.

In a nutshell, the author claims that "free" doesn't mean free due to the verbiage "free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2-4 years" that was presented in slide. The author argues that this might mean that Microsoft will start charging for patches and updates in 2-4 years.

My reading of it is more optimistic in that Microsoft will offer free upgrades to Windows 10 (the OS) for 2-4 years instead of 1 like originally announced, and NOT updates/upgrades.

Take a look at the article and post your thoughts.

:)

thunderclap, Jul 9, 2015
  2. papatiger Win User

Forbes article says 10 update will stop Boot

According to the Microsoft store it is not a microsoft password that the blue box is asking for before the laptop boots up but a Dell one and dell technicians want to charge $129 to possibly fix it when it won't boot to go online. I ordered a 1T new drive
    for it and will go that way for now. The Dell drive is incredibly easy to change just one cover and 3 small screws and it pull strait up and out. Since the puter worked flawlessly with my pass word recently and quit immediately after the update for 10 I'm
    sure the update screwed my drive and now it wants a current password before it will boot up. I seem to not be the only one with the changing password influenza. In the past Microsoft updates have messed up 2 of my older computeres immediately after the
    updates also. Both had drive problems and had to be restored to previous times but they would go 'f2 and f12 for these repairs. This one askes for the Current password in a blue box immediately after start up and no boot due to my password rejection.

papatiger, Jul 9, 2015
  3. Gordy Win User
    Forbes article says 10 update will stop Boot

This just happened to me. If you unplugged the computer it would accept your password BUT you need to NOT login with Microsoft password. I Had to rest my computer! Use any account but Microsoft, This reboot did solve the cumulative update BS But what a big
    pain in the BUTT!

Gordy, Jul 9, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Forbes Article About Windows 10

The author is totally incorrect. There will be free upgrades/patches for WIn10 for the life of the device.

BunnyJ, Jul 9, 2015
  5. *Ditto Author got it wrong. All it says is Microsoft projects the life of the device to be 2 to 4 years, and that's what its using for its revenue calculations. No more no less.

alphanumeric, Jul 9, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    I really hate that site. First, it's not actually Forbes doing the writing.. they're "contributors", which basically means that Forbes has given some bloggers with no real credentials some space to pontificate without any real oversight. This guy, Gordon Kelly is the worst at "re-interpreting" things which are pretty clear as day.

However, that doesn't mean you can simply discount everything they say.. but in this case, the author jumps from MS's claim of "average" lifetimes of being 2-4 years, to "Microsoft will only support Windows 10 for 2-4 years". This is completely preposterous, since Microsoft has claimed that Windows 10 would be supported for at least 10 years for LTS (Long term Servicing) branches and certainly Windows 10 will outlive Windows 8 which is supported until 2023 IIRC.

Mystere, Jul 10, 2015
  7. Boozad Win User
    Anybody reading that and believing it deserves Windows 8.

Boozad, Jul 10, 2015
  8. BillyBob Win User

Forbes is an Apple loving MS hating site, whenever I do a search and I end up on Forbes I quickly get out.

BillyBob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Forbes Article About Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Forbes Article

2. My computer crashed when I am viewing articles on Fandom website

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer crashed when I am viewing articles on Fandom website: So, I was on the Fandom website to look at articles about episodes in TV shows, but my computer crashed. It says: :Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info, and then we’ll restart for you.For more information about this issue...
  3. My computer crashed when I am viewing articles on Fandom website

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer crashed when I am viewing articles on Fandom website: So, I was on the Fandom website to look at articles about episodes in TV shows, but my computer crashed. It says: :Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’re just collecting some error info, and then we’ll restart for you.For more information about this issue...
  4. My computer crashed when I am viewing articles on Fandom website

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. my windows 10 started blocking articles and sites i have always visited until now! i do not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my windows 10 started blocking articles and sites i have always visited until now! i do not...: why has my pc started blocking sites and articles i have always visited? something about mcafee what is going on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-10-started-blocking-articles-and-sites/6b650687-e804-43b2-b128-395d0566269c
  6. my windows 10 started blocking articles and sites i have always visited until now! i do not...

my windows 10 started blocking articles and sites i have always visited until now! i do not...: why has my pc started blocking sites and articles i have always visited? something about mcafee what is going on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-10-started-blocking-articles-and-sites/6b650687-e804-43b2-b128-395d0566269c
  7. my windows 10 started blocking articles and sites i have always visited until now! i do not...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. do we need to delete KB4535996 fro updates due to a Forbes notice this update is more...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    do we need to delete KB4535996 fro updates due to a Forbes notice this update is more...: Note above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-we-need-to-delete-kb4535996-fro-updates-due-to/795f22d0-d290-431c-9386-ea2621ce7b8d
  9. Why does Forbes think Windows 10 is worse than bubonic plague?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Forbes think Windows 10 is worse than bubonic plague?: The several Windows 10 devices we have in our family have at least 15-20 combined years of use on the operating system, and, essentially, have all run flawlessly. No hiccups, no surprises, no quirks, no headaches. But in the "google news feed" on my phone, every day, there...
  10. Forbes reports Microsoft plans on adding Advertising to Microsoft Mail

Forbes reports Microsoft plans on adding Advertising to Microsoft Mail: Given all the issues Microsoft has caused with current updates, don't you think your customers deserve some respect? We have chosen to put up with your problems because you deliver a relatively good product without the advertising hype we have to put up with on other...