Windows 10: force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen

Discus and support force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; A PC has Windows 10 (version 1703, build 15063.726) installed on it. A person named Robert has a user account on it, named Robert. A person named... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Explorer9, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Explorer9 Win User

force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen

A PC has Windows 10 (version 1703, build 15063.726) installed on it. A person named Robert has a user account on it, named Robert. A person named Jennifer has a user account on it, named Jennifer. The user accounts Robert and Jennifer are "Standard" type accounts. There is a third user account, named Adm, and it's type is "Administrator".

The PC specs are: laptop, brand Asus, model X550CA, cpu Intel Celeron 1007U 1.50GHz, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB HDD 5200 RPM, 120 GB SSD.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 1 - the Robert and Jennifer user accounts are both password protected

• Jennifer turns PC on.
    • At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    • At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types her password and presses Enter.
    • Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks "Shut down".
    • Robert turns PC on.
    • At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Jennifer is shown.
    • Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Windows 10 default behavior, case 2 - the Robert user account is password protected, the Jennifer user account is not password protected

• Jennifer turns PC on.
    • At the sign-in screen, the password field for the account Robert is shown.
    • At the sign-in screen, Jennifer clicks on the account Jennifer in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then clicks on the "Sign-in" button.
    • Jennifer clicks on the "Start" button on the taskbar, clicks on the "Power" button, then clicks on "Shut down".
    • Robert turns PC on.
    • Windows 10 signs in automatically into the Jennifer user account.
    • Robert clicks on the "Start" button, clicks on the "Jennifer" button, then clicks on "Sign out".
    • At the sign-in screen, the button "Sign in" for the user account Jennifer is shown.
    • Robert clicks on the account Robert in the lower left part of the sign-in screen, then types his password and presses Enter.

Question 1

Is it possible for Robert to change Windows 10's default behavior, to the behavior described below?

• Robert or Jennifer turns on the PC.
    • At the sign-in screen, the password field for the Robert user account is shown, even if Jennifer was the last person to sign-in and then click on "Shut down" from the "Start" menu.

Question 2

If the answer to question 1 is yes, then what settings does Robert have to make, in order to get the behavior described at question 1?

Changing "dontdisplaylastusername" is not the solution

By changing the "dontdisplaylastusername" registry DWORD from 0 to 1, Robert doesn't get the behavior described at question 1. After setting "dontdisplaylastusername" to 1, Robert has to type both his user account name, and his password, at the sign-in screen. Robert wants to type only his password, at the sign-in screen, and nothing else.

Why does Robert want to change the default behavior

The reasons Robert would like to change to the behavior described at question 1:
    • he is the owner of the PC;
    • he uses his PC frequently, Jennifer uses his PC rarely, therefore it makes sense that Robert should have one less click to do in order to sign in;
    • he doesn't want to click on something in order to get at his password field, he wants to press the power button on the PC and then type his password (doesn't want unnecessary intermediate steps between pressing the power button and typing his password).

:)

Explorer9, Nov 18, 2017

2. How do I choose which user account will be selected automatically on the sign-in screen?

Default behavior

On a PC with Windows 10, there are 3 user accounts: Username1, Username2, and Username3. If Username2 is the last one that signed in, then the next time the PC is turned on, Username2 is selected automatically on the sign-in screen.

Problem description

Username2 is the owner of the PC. Username2 signs in very frequently. Username1 and Username3 sign in very rarely.

After Username1 signs in, and then signs out or shuts down, Username2 has to click on the account Username2 to manually switch from Username1 to Username2 on the sign-in screen.

After Username3 signs in, and then signs out or shuts down, Username2 has to click on the account Username2 to manually switch from Username3 to Username2 on the sign-in screen.

Username2 would prefer that each time he turns on his PC, the account Username2 will be selected automatically on the sign-in screen.

Questions

Are there any settings that allow Username2 to choose that his user account will be selected on the sign-in screen each time he turns on the PC, even if Username1 or Username3 was the last user that signed in?

If yes, then where are these settings located?

Explorer_9, Nov 18, 2017
  3. windows 10 sign on

How do I eliminate having a "default" user?

I want to select the account when signing on

Walter_Sanders, Nov 18, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Yes, or at least a close approximation. Set Robert to log in automatically, but do not give Robert's password when setting it up.

*Arrow Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

On start up it will say 'the name or password is incorrect' with an 'OK' button. Click OK and you go to the sign in screen with Robert's name and the password box.

Thema:

1. force default user account to always be selected on sign-in screen - Similar Threads - force default user

2. Windows forces sign in screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows forces sign in screen: Had the PC set up so that no login is required. Set to Never. About 4 wks ago it started to show `password incorrect` OK at the startup I then have to click to my email and enter a pin EVERY TIME. Nothings changed in my settings, still says `require login-Never` My home PC...
  3. Windows forces sign in screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows forces sign in screen: Had the PC set up so that no login is required. Set to Never. About 4 wks ago it started to show `password incorrect` OK at the startup I then have to click to my email and enter a pin EVERY TIME. Nothings changed in my settings, still says `require login-Never` My home PC...
  4. Windows forces sign in screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Forced to sign into Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forced to sign into Microsoft account: Updated laptop and now being forced to sign into an old Microsoft account which uses an old email which I can't access anymore the sign in screen doesn't give me the option to change to my new Microsoft account details and I can't log on to my laptop...
  6. Forced to sign into Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forced to sign into Microsoft account: Updated laptop and now being forced to sign into an old Microsoft account which uses an old email which I can't access anymore the sign in screen doesn't give me the option to change to my new Microsoft account details and I can't log on to my laptop...
  7. Forced to sign into Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. How to force users to sign in with Google or Facebook account on Zoom

in Windows 10 News
    How to force users to sign in with Google or Facebook account on Zoom: [ATTACH]If you want to force Zoom users to sign in with Google or Facebook accounts only, here is how you can set things up. It is possible to disable other log-in options using the Local Group Policy Editor and the Registry Editor on Windows 11/10. Let’s assume that you are...
  9. default user accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default user accounts: I purchased a windows 10 computer from a friend and on the desktop, top left was a folder with his name. Lets call him Steve. In the directory system, under C:/users there is a folder, along with the normal "default" and "public" folders is a folder for "steve". "steve" is...
  10. multiple user accounts on sign in screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    multiple user accounts on sign in screen: I just purchased a refurbished Dell 5050 with Windows 10 Pro. It shows 3 accounts on sign in screen even though only one account shows in Local Users & Groups (which is the correct one I set up after Windows started). 2 of the accounts have the same correct name and 1 has the...