Windows 10: Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows 10

Discus and support Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows 10 How to Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Hydrate Win User

Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows 10

How to: Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows 10

How to Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows 10

Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information For security or as needed, you might want to require a sign-in to Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to require a local account to change their password the next time they sign-in to Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to require a user must change password at next logon.

Note When you enable user must change password at next logon for a local account, it will also enable password expiration for this local account.

EXAMPLE: "The user's password must be changed before signing in" at sign-in

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type lusrmgr.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Users and Groups.

Note Local Users and Groups is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

2. Click/tap on Users in the left pane of Local Users and Groups. (see screenshot below step 3)

3. Right click or press and hold on the name (ex: "Brink2") of the local account you want, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. In the General tab, check the User must change password at next logon box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note User must change password at next logon will be grayed out if the Password never expires box is checked.

5. When finished, you can close Local Users and Groups if you like.

Note The User must change password at next logon box for this local account will automatically get cleared (unchecked) after they change their password at sign-in, but password expiration will still remain enabled for this local account unless you disable it (if wanted) later.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Hydrate, Jun 23, 2017

2. How can I unsync my Windows 10 password from my Microsoft account password?

You will need to use a local account for that, but I have discovered, changing the password with a Microsoft Account in Windows 10 is more than enough. It seems when you do this, it does not reflect the changes with your Microsoft Account sign in for online
    sign in.

Open Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign in options > under Password, click Change.

Open Start > Settings > Accounts > Your info

Click sign in with a local account instead

Enter your current password

Click Next

Enter a name, password, confirm it, enter a hint

Click Next

Click Sign out and Finish

Sign into the account

Open Control Panel - see how to find control panel:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/open-control-p...

Open User Accounts

Click Manage another account

Select the other account

CLick Change the password

Enter the password

Confirm the new password

Type a hint

Click Change password

Andre Da Costa, Jun 23, 2017
  3. change windows login/email address

Click sign in with a local account instead

Enter your current password

Click Next

Enter a name, password, confirm it, enter a hint

Click Next

Click Sign out and Finish

Sign into the account

Click sign in with a Microsoft account instead

Enter the email address of the account you want to use

Click Next

Enter your Microsoft Account password

Enter the current Local account password used to sign into the account

Click Next and you should be signed in with the new account.

Changing your password:

Changing passwords can be performed by opening Start > Settings > Accounts > sign in options. Under Password, click Change.

Enter your current password. Click Next.

Enter the new password, confirm it then create a hint. Click Next.

Click Finish.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 23, 2017
Thema:

Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows 10

1. Force Local Account to Change Password at Next Sign-in in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Force Local Account

2. Changing from Work Account sign in, to a Local Sign In

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing from Work Account sign in, to a Local Sign In: At the moment, I have a laptop that is linked to a work Microsoft Account. I would like to change the login to the laptop to something simpler so the Microsoft password would be different than the laptop login password.I need to keep the same account that is already set up on...
  3. Changing from Work Account sign in, to a Local Sign In

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing from Work Account sign in, to a Local Sign In: At the moment, I have a laptop that is linked to a work Microsoft Account. I would like to change the login to the laptop to something simpler so the Microsoft password would be different than the laptop login password.I need to keep the same account that is already set up on...
  4. Sign in option unavailable and a forced password change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in option unavailable and a forced password change: Earlier this week something strange happened when I tried to log into my computer as usual, It forced me to make an eight digit pin to log in and refused to take the "Windows Hello" pin that I had set up before. In fact, all the Windows Hello sign in options have been...
  5. Sign in option unavailable and a forced password change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sign in option unavailable and a forced password change: Earlier this week something strange happened when I tried to log into my computer as usual, It forced me to make an eight digit pin to log in and refused to take the "Windows Hello" pin that I had set up before. In fact, all the Windows Hello sign in options have been...
  6. Sign in option unavailable and a forced password change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Forced Password Change

Forced Password Change: I found through security monitoring software that my password was compromised on the dark web. I went into my Microsoft account and changed my password. This took quite an effort. Verification texts, etc. The next day, when I first logged in, the login prompted me to change...
  8. Unable to change password for local account

Unable to change password for local account: The Ctrl-Alt-Delete menu has no option for changing password. The User Accounts panel from what remains of the decent Control Panel redirects me to the Settings app. The Settings app Accounts -> Sign-in options has Change disabled for Password. Microsoft cloud login is not...
  9. Local Account Password changed

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Account Password changed: Hi, I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account from my name to my BT email address and asking for a password. This is not my normal password and has seemed to link my BT...
  10. Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Minimum Password Length for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information The local account. You can set a value of between 1 and 14 characters, or you can establish that no...