Windows 10: Force Windows 10 to mount and visually display EFI boot partition?

Discus and support Force Windows 10 to mount and visually display EFI boot partition? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm mucking around with multi-boot and need to edit some files I put in the EFI partition. It was possible in Windows 8 to use Mountvol and mount... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hannele2, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Hannele2 Win User

Force Windows 10 to mount and visually display EFI boot partition?

I'm mucking around with multi-boot and need to edit some files I put in the EFI partition.
    It was possible in Windows 8 to use Mountvol and mount this partition to a drive.
    Then it showed up like normal in Windows Explorer, saving me the hassle of using command line to navigate the folder.
    But now in Win 10 when I do the exact same thing, the EFI drive remains hidden.
    How can I force Win 10 to show it - alternatively is there a third party Explorer tool that will?

:)

Hannele2, Jul 28, 2016

2. Windows 10 upgrade fails before first reboot

Turns out this wasn't an issue with the Windows 10 installer, but from some corruption of the locale files in my EFI partition (EFI\Microsoft\Boot\{xx-XX}). I was able to resolve the issue by doing
    the following:
    • Boot into the Command Prompt via System Recovery Option
    • Use diskpart to mount the EFI partition
    • Run CHKDSK /f on EFI partition
    • Restore the bcd locales using bcdboot c:\windows /s j: /l en-us

Duncan Strathern, Jul 28, 2016
  3. Windows 10 anniversary update failed to install.

Hey thanks! but when I try mounting the boot volume using the command you suggest I receive the following error.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>mountvol v: /s

The parameter is incorrect.

not one to give up easy I did a mountvol to get the parameters and got this.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>mountvol

Creates, deletes, or lists a volume mount point.

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path VolumeName

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /D

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /L

MOUNTVOL [drive:]path /P

MOUNTVOL /R

MOUNTVOL /N

MOUNTVOL /E

path Specifies the existing NTFS directory where the mount

point will reside.

VolumeName Specifies the volume name that is the target of the mount

point.

/D Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory.

/L Lists the mounted volume name for the specified directory.

/P Removes the volume mount point from the specified directory,

dismounts the volume, and makes the volume not mountable.

You can make the volume mountable again by creating a volume

mount point.

/R Removes volume mount point directories and registry settings

for volumes that are no longer in the system.

/N Disables automatic mounting of new volumes.

/E Re-enables automatic mounting of new volumes.

Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

\\?\Volume{1d27f343-0ee3-11e4-aacd-806e6f6e6963}\

*** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{1d27f344-0ee3-11e4-aacd-806e6f6e6963}\

C:\

\\?\Volume{34427c86-0000-0000-0000-b0a31f000000}\

*** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{1d27f348-0ee3-11e4-aacd-806e6f6e6963}\

A:\

\\?\Volume{1d27f347-0ee3-11e4-aacd-806e6f6e6963}\

D:\

the /S switch doesn't seem to be available. and not sure what you intended with it.

I also did a search for the file chs_boot.ttf and found it under several directories but I do see the C:\Windows\Boot\Fonts directory. Anyway I get the point here, just can't seem to mount the boot partition in the way you recommend.

Dan5298407, Jul 28, 2016
  4. Hannele2 Win User

Easiest solution: Use a 3rd party File manager such as Q-Dir.
    Just google "Windows file manager explorer alternatives" and you should get some hits....

Hannele2, Jul 28, 2016
Thema:

1. Force Windows 10 to mount and visually display EFI boot partition? - Similar Threads - Force mount visually

2. Windows 10 EFI partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 EFI partitions: VinceS2 On Mar 20, 2022, VinceS2 updated the extremely helpful instructions he originally posted on August 22, 2020 re: EFI partitions that are not properly configured.My operating system crashed when a large Windows 10 Update Feb 2022 failed. My printer also stopped working....
  3. Windows 10 EFI partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 EFI partitions: VinceS2 On Mar 20, 2022, VinceS2 updated the extremely helpful instructions he originally posted on August 22, 2020 re: EFI partitions that are not properly configured.My operating system crashed when a large Windows 10 Update Feb 2022 failed. My printer also stopped working....
  4. Windows 10 EFI partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Mounting EFI system partition on USB?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mounting EFI system partition on USB?: I am trying to mount the EFI system partition on my USB drive, and Diskpart gives this error: Virtual Disk Service error: The operation is not supported on removable media. I can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to mount the ESP, but I would like to avoid using 3rd party...
  6. EFI partition mounting on startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI partition mounting on startup: So one time I decided to mount the EFI partition for testing purposes. Alright. Next day I start up my PC and the partition is still there. That's weird. I successfully removed the drive letter with diskpart. So I made a startup script to do that but that isn't a permanent...
  7. Different Windows 10 boot sequence / different display with new efi partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Different Windows 10 boot sequence / different display with new efi partition: I have no clue if this is the right subreddit to ask such a question, so please redirect me if this is the wrong place! I wanted to clean up my secondary drive today and realized that there was a efi partition and a recovery partition on it, while my primary drive with my...
  8. Can't access to EFI Partition although it be mounted!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access to EFI Partition although it be mounted!: Few days ago, I can mount and access efi partition with explorer++ and disk genius. But now I can't access it although it be mounted. It shows the message as I don't mount the disk: "You don't currently have permission to access disk folder". How can I fix it to access throw...
  9. Can the EFI partition be briefly and safely mounted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can the EFI partition be briefly and safely mounted?: Can the EFI partition be briefly and safely mounted? Am I correct that mountvol p: /s will mount the EFI partition to drive letter p? Does mounting the EFI partition create a security issue for the pc?...
  10. How to make an EFI Win10 boot instruction in EFI partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make an EFI Win10 boot instruction in EFI partition?: Hi all. There are hundreds of posts in these forums and on the internet about EFI and Windows 10 booting, but I can't seem to find a single one that describes how to boot Windows from an EFI partition. Short Background ------------------------ I have a 512GB SSD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mountvol d: /p The parameter is incorrect