Windows 10: Forced update to anniversary

Discus and support Forced update to anniversary in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a dualboot laptop that I mostly use with Linux. In the second partition I installed Win10 professional rather than home for the explicit reason... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by IronMew, Apr 3, 2017.

1. IronMew Win User

Forced update to anniversary

I have a dualboot laptop that I mostly use with Linux. In the second partition I installed Win10 professional rather than home for the explicit reason that I wanted to block all updates (after having it update once), reason being that I didn't want to be bothered by constant reminders and reboots. The partition is imaged and I don't use it much anyway, so I don't fear malware - anything that infects it would be easily wiped by a simple reimage.

So I disabled the updates via the policy editor, and it's been working hassle-free for months

However, today I booted it up and started working, and unexpectedly a message appeared telling me that it would reboot in a few minutes to apply an update - it didn't ask me for a time or authorisation and wouldn't let me delay it, which is infuriating enough in its own right. And reboot it did, taking its damn time applying the update too, and rebooted again, and then I had to reapply all the system settings that had been reset by the anniversary update, and I lost a morning's work.

I appear civil now because several hours have passed and I've processed the irritation, but you better believe that the curses I uttered while this was happening were long and colourful.

I've now disabled the updates by murdering the windows update service, which I should have done to begin with, but I'm wondering - is this a known occurrence? Does Microsoft simply ignore your update settings to force the anniversary update now?

The next time I reimage I'll be sticking the update servers in the hosts file just for good measure, but if Microsoft is ignoring my desire for hassle-free productivity *that* much I'm thinking perhaps I should wipe the Windows partition and set it back up as a virtual machine that I'd set up once and reset upon every reboot.

TL;DR: Win10 pro with disabled updates updated anyway wasting several hours of my time, am pissed about it and trying to figure out where to place the blame.

:)

IronMew, Apr 3, 2017

2. The Anniversary update is so called because it will take a year to finish

I guess the 'Anniversary' update will finish next year.

Thanks MS for

1) Forcing updates on us poor users and

2) Killing us with this 'anniversary' update

Hemant Rangan, Apr 3, 2017
  3. Media creation tool for windows 10 aniversary update

Today is the launch of anniversary update I wanted to force update my machine to anniversary update but iso files are only for windows 10 v1511 please provide iso file for anniversary update as soon as possible as my internet connection is limited.

Roy_150152, Apr 3, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

There is no normal setting in Windows 10 Pro to disable updates. The option available in normal settings is to DEFER updates.

Defer: put off (an action or event) to a later time; postpone.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2017
  5. It's Defer feature updates, isn't it? Which just stops you from updating to a new build. It won't stop regular updates.

To actually have control over updates with Windows 10 Pro, it has to be setup for Windows Update for Business. Basically you need to be running Pro on a Corporate network for that.

alphanumeric, Apr 3, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    and I think it only defers the major upgrades until they hit LTSB.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2017
  7. alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Forced update to anniversary - Similar Threads - Forced update anniversary

2. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  3. Anniversary Update woes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Update woes: Hi. I recently rolled back my desktop from the anniversary update because I was noticing problems with start times (slower), my wifi (poor connection) and bluetooth (connection problems with no audio). After trying to reinstall my drivers which had no success, I decided to...
  4. Anniversary Update Number?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Update Number?: What is the KBxxxxxx number for the Anniversary Update? I want to uninstall it because it's causing me a lot problems. Don Cole 92379
  5. Anniversary Update Report

Anniversary Update Report: I've been delaying updating my desktop PCs to the Anniversary Update (AU) due to previous reports on the forum of missing drives or drives appearing in RAW format. I haven't noticed any recent reports of this issue so I went ahead and upgraded my father's PC two days ago....
  6. Anniversary Update Problem

Anniversary Update Problem: I downloaded and installed the iso referenced in Dona Sarkar's announcement memo Win_10_1607_English_X64.iso dated 8/2/16. My winver shows 1607 build 14393.0. I expected it to be 14393.10. Anyone know what's up? The machine is an original upgrade from Win 8.1. I also have a...
  7. Why no anniversary update?

Why no anniversary update?: My desktop computers are running Windows 10 Pro version 1511 OS Build 10586.545 I don't appear to get the anniversay update. Is there a reason for this? (I have a year old laptop with Windows 10 Home and that did get the anniversary update.) 74147
  8. Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: How can I tell if I have received the "Anniversary Update"? 60115
  9. anniversary update, accept or not

anniversary update, accept or not: I know it will eventually be installed no matter what I do but it appears it is loaded with errors from what I read on this site and others. Can it be delayed at all. Upgraded from 7 to 10 last December. 59811
  10. Anniversary Update issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update issues: I updated to the Anni version today and I am not 100% impressed with it. Firstly, I couldn't access the menu using left click but using the right click was ok, Secondly, I find that I am unable to open a .pdf in Adobe reader DC for some strange reason? I tried downloading...