Windows 10: Forgot BitLocker Password

Discus and support Forgot BitLocker Password in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have BitLocker enabled for my custom built computer's main drive and forgot the password since I haven't used the computer for a month... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pepanee, May 22, 2017.

1. pepanee Win User

Forgot BitLocker Password

Hi everyone,
    I have BitLocker enabled for my custom built computer's main drive and forgot the password since I haven't used the computer for a month or so. I looked at a lot of possible ways to fix the problem, yet they don't apply. I don't have a backup recovery key on a USB nor a printout. I used to have it in my Microsoft account, but I don't know where it is now. What can I do to start up my PC without having to format the drive? I have important files on here that I forgot to back up, and would love to get access to them again. Also, I have a text file that I can access from another drive that has all my general passwords. I know the first, second, and last characters of the password, yet I cannot remember everything in between.

All help is appreciated. Thanks

:)

pepanee, May 22, 2017

2. forgot password and do not have recovery key for flash drive with bitlocker

I forgot password and do not have a recovery key to get into my flash drive that I encrypted with bitlocker

GRUBER Denice, May 22, 2017
  3. Got locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption

I forgot my PIN and password to log in my laptop and when I try to unlock it through cmd.exe and it said "This drive is locked by BitLocker Drive Encryption." but I lost my recovery password of BitLocker. What can I do to log in again?

DuongTuan1, May 22, 2017
  4. Forgot BitLocker Password

Hi pepanee.

Bitlocker encrypts your files so you need the password to reverse.

Are you using a local account or a Microsoft account to sign in? Are you able to log in?

This article actually has a link to Bitlocker Recovery keys assuming you're in your microsoft account.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...sked-questions

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 22, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    Hi Ken, I'm using a local account to sign into the computer. Once I turn on the PC, before Windows loads, I am asked for the BitLocker password. I manually enabled the BitLocker feature from within Windows a long time ago. My computer is custom built (it's not an HP, Dell, etc...)
    And thanks for the article link, I've visited it various times yesterday when I was looking for a way to unlock the computer. The suggestions there either don't apply, or didn't work.

pepanee, May 22, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    From another device go to here: Microsoft OneDrive - Recovery Key

You'll need to sign in with the MSA you used in the past.

If it isn't there you'll have to clean install. Honestly that is the point of encryption.

You need to give more info here. Are you saying that this text file is encrypted or you can open it and only wrote down 3 characters of your bitlocker key and didn't write down the other 45?

You will not be able to guess 45 of the 48 characters of a bitlocker key in a reasonable length of time.

According to How Secure Is My Password? it would take an average PC 792 septillion years. I don't know how long that is but it sounds like an inconveniently long time.

If it is just an encrypted word document though you could get it back fairly easily. It depends what you mean.

7. pepanee Win User
    Hi lx
    I clicked that first link to the recovery key in my email with no luck. I used to have it saved there, but don't know what happened to it.
    And that text file is just a general text file where I save the first two characters and the last character of my passwords. The whole point of that file is to help me remember any password I have without it being used by other people to know my passwords. It's intended to help me remember whatever password I have. I am able to remember all the other ones though, except for this last one which is a unique one for BitLocker. So it's not a recovery key for BitLocker; it's the actual real password itself.

pepanee, May 22, 2017
  8. Forgot BitLocker Password

Last thing I could recommend is signing into your mail (Microsoft Account) and doing some searches and same for Onedrive. Search for words like key, bit, pass.

I'm hoping your keyboard has indicators for caps and num locks. Can you tell when they are "On"?

Given your approach to writing the first few characters and last few I'd like to think you will remember it. Otherwise as lx07 says, it is gone.

Caledon Ken, May 22, 2017
  9. pepanee Win User
    Yea I just tried searching for those words just now with no hope. That's too bad I can't find it; I'm so disappointed in myself to forget the password; I never forget my passwords! But what happened here? Why can't I remember this one?

And yes, the keyboard indicates if Caps Lock is on or not.

The way I have that text file set up with those characters is intended to keep my passwords safe from anyone else seeing them, and intended to help jog my memory if I forgot it. But it's just too bad that I have memory loss of that one and only one password.

Reformat is on my mind now; there isn't too much to lose, but I find it sad that I will lose some of my work that I had put into whatever is getting lost. Only a miracle will save that work before I begin this Reformat-Process.

pepanee, May 22, 2017
  10. May I suggest a password vault. That is what I use, I only need to remember one complex master password. With the good ones you can keep notes, like security questions, if a site is still using, have them generate complex passwords, set them to expire etc.

This also lets me have a unique password for hundreds of sites. Some even do the keying for you on the log in screens.

I also use some dummy entries for which I don't have passwords, like Social Insurance Number, Driver License, passport numbers, any thing I need to keep but don't want prying eyes checking out..

Good luck.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 23, 2017
  11. pepanee Win User
    Alright thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind after I see what I will do to get the computer running again.

pepanee, May 23, 2017
  12. Mystere Win User
    There is no hope of recovering your files. I've been there. A lot of people have. Without a copy of your recovery key, you're hosed. I still keep an image of my encrypted drive I lost access to... "just in case" someone finds a secret back door or hack to defeat the encryption, but that's just a fantasy.. I don't expect it to ever happen.

If the FBI and other law enforcement can't break this encryption for terrorism suspects, then what hope do you have?

Mystere, May 23, 2017
  13. Tonyb Win User

MS usually ask you for a place to store your password on backup drive or on onedrive check backup drives USB drives any place you may have put the key it asked to save to a safe place.

Tonyb, May 23, 2017
  14. pepanee Win User
    Hi, it would've been nice if the FBI or NSA or whoever contacted me and was aware that I was trying to log back into the computer with the forgotten password, but that didn't happen.And yes Tony, I have been asked and I did store it on the OneDrive account, yet it is no longer there for some reason. I did not save a backup of it on USB nor a print out or anything.

So I said "whatever" (...well, two other words to be specific) and just reformatted the hard drive. START BRAND NEW! I lost a few files that I spent some time into, gone away. They took some time to create, and I'm not so happy about losing these files. This was all the fault of a "3rd-party" that caused me to not use this computer for a few months...which made me forget this password. That's not a good thing.

pepanee, May 23, 2017
  15. just a comment -
    if you do not have a decent way (reliable) to store your passwords, then do NOT use bitlocker. It is built well, and does its job.
    GOING FOrWARD, as another poster stated, use a password vault. I use KeePass, it is free, but consider donations, because IT does its job also. My opinions are that passwords are NOT to be remembered, but to be stored. The only password you should hav to remember is the KeePass password, to get into the vault, and have a copy of Keepass stored on your phone, etc.
    IT can have the bitlocker password stored inside it, but you will also need to remember the bitlocker password to even start the machine.
    BUT, if you forget it, and you have keepass stored onthe phone, etc, you can still get access to that keepass file, open it wit your keepass password, and find the bitlocker password.

ALSO, get an imaging backup program, create an IMAGE backup (you can encrypt that on creation), store THAT password in keepass, and in case of computer disaster, you can restore from the image.
    hope this is some initial help.

astormyday, Jul 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Forgot BitLocker Password - Similar Threads - Forgot BitLocker Password

2. forgot password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    forgot password: Hi,I forgot the password and the email id through which my microsoft account was created.Is there any way I can retrieve account details by laptop serial number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgot-password/e8f86c57-ce31-45e3-8e21-32808d9f49d0
  3. Forgot Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forgot Password: Hello Everyone,I completely forgot my password to log into my Windows 10 Dell laptop. I did try to reset the password from the login screen, and it said password was reset successfully. However, I still cannot log in with my new password, which is the same as my live.com...
  4. Forgot Password

Forgot Password: Hello Everyone,I completely forgot my password to log into my Windows 10 Dell laptop. I did try to reset the password from the login screen, and it said password was reset successfully. However, I still cannot log in with my new password, which is the same as my live.com...
  5. Forgot password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forgot password: So I have a Dell Vostro laptop and i have seem to forgot my windows login pin for my laptop and i can't reset it because it says you have tried to many incorrect pins try again later and i wait and than it never says forgot pin i need some help on this. Thanks...
  6. Forgot BitLocker password and the recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Forgot BitLocker password and the recovery key: I've two of my drives BitLocker protected none of which are system drives though. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the BitLocker password and can't recall the recovery file location. Is there any way to unlock the protected drives? I can only use a system drive as storage and...
  7. Forgot BitLocker password and the recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forgot BitLocker password and the recovery key: I've two of my drives BitLocker protected none of which are system drives though. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the BitLocker password and can't recall the recovery file location. Is there any way to unlock the protected drives? I can only use a system drive as storage and...
  8. Forgot BitLocker password and the recovery key

9. Forgot Bitlocker Password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgot Bitlocker Password: Hello, I recently resetted my Windows 10 PC, and I forgot the password for my External HDD's BitLocker. How can I unlock it without losing data. I don't have the recovery key with me....
  10. Forgot bitlocker password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgot bitlocker password: I have a pendrive which contains an important data .I turned on the bitlocker,but forgot the password ,here is the out put any help would be great [img] 63197
Tags: