Windows 10: Forgot password, starting over, what gets kept?

Discus and support Forgot password, starting over, what gets kept? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've got an old laptop that a friend gave me when he got a new one. Unfortunately he can't remember his password so I can't get past the login screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marscaleb, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Marscaleb Win User

Forgot password, starting over, what gets kept?

I've got an old laptop that a friend gave me when he got a new one. Unfortunately he can't remember his password so I can't get past the login screen when the laptop boots up.

I understand that I do have an option to wipe the account and everything on the laptop so that I can use it. However, in my past experience with laptops I've found that it can be hard to get the proper drivers; I once made that mistake with a much older laptop, I thought I would be able to get the graphics drivers straight form nVidia but for some reason they didn't have them available online.
    So I'm concerned about having Windows wipe everything so I can put on a new user account. How deep does this go? Will it delete drivers? Is this the same as if I formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows, or will windows preserve the system functions and the like? How deep does this data purge go?

:)

Marscaleb, Jul 1, 2018

2. forgot password

Hi Tom,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

• Are you using Microsoft account or local account for logging in the computer?
    I suggest you to follow steps from the below article “What to do if you forget your Windows password” and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-10

You may also refer to the below article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/account-reset-password-forgot-faq

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 1, 2018
  3. forgot password for account!!!!

forgot password for account!!!!

you know when you boot up your computer... and yeha i have more than one account and I forgot the password to one of them.

is there anyway for me to get in to the account? or the account will be perminant lock if i dont remember password?

xp home

HiddenStupid, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Remon Ont, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Forgot password, starting over, what gets kept? - Similar Threads - Forgot password starting

2. Forgot password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Forgot password: Hello Team,I Forgot to save my password for Outlook account.My acoount is logged in on Phone but I forgot the password, now Reset option is not working and the acoount is lockedBut my Phone account is working.What should I do to reset the password....
  3. forgot password

forgot password: Hi,I forgot the password and the email id through which my microsoft account was created.Is there any way I can retrieve account details by laptop serial number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgot-password/e8f86c57-ce31-45e3-8e21-32808d9f49d0
  4. Forgot Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forgot Password: Hello Everyone,I completely forgot my password to log into my Windows 10 Dell laptop. I did try to reset the password from the login screen, and it said password was reset successfully. However, I still cannot log in with my new password, which is the same as my live.com...
  5. Forgot Password

Forgot Password: Hello Everyone,I completely forgot my password to log into my Windows 10 Dell laptop. I did try to reset the password from the login screen, and it said password was reset successfully. However, I still cannot log in with my new password, which is the same as my live.com...
  6. Forgot password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forgot password: So I have a Dell Vostro laptop and i have seem to forgot my windows login pin for my laptop and i can't reset it because it says you have tried to many incorrect pins try again later and i wait and than it never says forgot pin i need some help on this. Thanks...
  7. forgot password at start

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    forgot password at start: hello, i really need your help.while i was using my pc with windows 10 i needed to turn off all the services for a minute. it displayed that to apply the changes it needed a restart. i restart but at the login it doesn't ask me the PIN, but the password, that i really don't...
  8. Forgot password to get into computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgot password to get into computer: I have forgotten my password for a laptop that I had not used for a few weeks. There is no box for "reset password," even though I do notuse a pin. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  9. Changed password forgot it and Started safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changed password forgot it and Started safe mode: Good day to who it my concern! Pls sorry on my english, hope will write all understandable. Few time ago I added t****datelly recognised my product key fr**** was ok. Opened new Microsoft account for this PC, installed all updates and PC was working just fine. After few...
  10. forgot what the password is for your local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    forgot what the password is for your local account: What if you are using your Microsoft account Shawn, and you forgot what the password is for your local account??? Long time ago when I was just using my local account, I never had a password setup for it. Now if I try to log in to my local account, it wants me to enter a...