Windows 10: forgot what the password is for your local account

Discus and support forgot what the password is for your local account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; What if you are using your Microsoft account Shawn, and you forgot what the password is for your local account??? Long time ago when I was just using... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by OldMike65, Oct 16, 2015.

1. OldMike65 Win User

forgot what the password is for your local account

What if you are using your Microsoft account Shawn, and you forgot what the password is for your local account??? Long time ago when I was just using my local account, I never had a password setup for it. Now if I try to log in to my local account, it wants me to enter a password, so right now I don't use it.

And using netplwiz to change your local password, how do I know which user account is my local account?? I am the only user on my computer, and Netplwiz shows me two times, along with a HomeGroupUser$ and guest.

I am listed under group heading in 2 ways, Homeusers and homeusers;Administrator;Users ???

user must enter a password to use this computer is turned off bty.

:)

OldMike65, Oct 16, 2015

2. Forgot password for the local account.

Hi Krishna

Thank you, but you were not really helpful in this case. I figured out a way to reset my password using command prompt.

Good Day!

ArjunParameswaran, Oct 16, 2015
  3. Forgot password for the local account.

Hi,

Thanks for the update and response.

I suggest you to refer the link on I forgot my local account password
    by Sachin Venkatesh
    replied on February 9, 2016 and check if it helps.

I forgot my local account password

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance on Windows 10 we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Oct 16, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 16, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes after reading those tutorials and checking, I must have switched my local acc to my Microsoft acc. I think that's exactly what I did. So now I have to create a new password for my local account.....which if I have too, would prefer not to use any password in my local account, if that's possible.

OldMike65, Oct 16, 2015
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Yup, like I just told Shawn, that's what I must have did.....duh.... I'll read that link.....

OldMike65, Oct 16, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

If you use a Microsoft account, there's no way to not have a password.

If you use a Local account, then you can not have a password if you like. However, to be able to use Windows apps that use a Microsoft service, you'll need to sign in to the Store with a Microsoft account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Oct 16, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes that part I understand, as I do have a password for my Microsoft account, as that is what I am using right now. I just have it setup to not ask me for my password when I start computer up. So know I am wondering IF I need to setup a local account for myself???? What do you think Shawn??? Do I need a local account setup for some reason?

OldMike65, Oct 16, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
    A local account is not necessary. I would think that if you did not use a PW and tried to go local just hit the enter key and it may let you in. I have never used a local account but I do remember my Windows 7 logon PW. For the MSA, I use a Pin.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I agree with Gary. In your case, I don't think you need a local account.

Brink, Oct 16, 2015
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Well very COOL guys!!! Thanks for the help on my questions. Everything is running fine and I really don't have any issues the way I have this puter setup, also have my 2nd puter setup same way. Just wasn't completely sure. Again Thanks Shawn & Gary!!!

OldMike65, Oct 16, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. forgot what the password is for your local account - Similar Threads - forgot password local

2. I forgot my local accounts password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I forgot my local accounts password: Hello, i forgot the password for my local account of my computer I've tried everything, but the rest password disc dosent work, the security questions i answered are my real things, like first pet ect but it dosent work. Please help this is the administrator account and my...
  3. I forgot my local accounts password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I forgot my local accounts password: Hello, i forgot the password for my local account of my computer I've tried everything, but the rest password disc dosent work, the security questions i answered are my real things, like first pet ect but it dosent work. Please help this is the administrator account and my...
  4. I forgot my local accounts password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. FORGOT LOCAL PASSWORD

FORGOT LOCAL PASSWORD: Hi , My laptop started acting weird and failed to recognise my fingerprint. I have forgot my PIN or maybe the one i entered is correct . I happen to remember my password but my laptop says it's incorrect. I managed to log into another local account on the same PC which...
  6. Forgot local account password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Forgot local account password: I've logged out my email because I wanted to add my new one and now it asks me for my account password. I use a pin to log in to my computer. I set that password 4 years ago and never used it since I have a pin. I am trying to reset the password but i can't figure it out....
  7. forgot local password

in Windows 10 Customization
    forgot local password: i forget a password to login in my desktop how i reset to login https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgot-local-password/9221376a-7013-42b7-81a2-8f59a705e311
  8. Forgot local password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgot local password: Hi! I forgot my password I put in after turning on the pc. if I log into my Microsoft account on my phone the pc shows up. are these two accounts linked so I can reset the pc password?...
  9. Password That I Forgot Of Local Account

Password That I Forgot Of Local Account: i had signed with local account i dont remember password and well security questions..what can i do for it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-that-i-forgot-of-local-account/beba5caa-be69-4d2a-a136-792c9d2cb004
  10. forgot my password , local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    forgot my password , local account: I used to have the setting turned on so that every time my computer sleeps, i needed to enter a password. i turned it off so that i could just log in and out with 1 click, because i was planning to bring it into a repair shop for service, i did not want to have to tell them...