Windows 10: Forgot Windows login password, only have a local account

Discus and support Forgot Windows login password, only have a local account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I can't log in to my computer because I forgot my password. I didn't set up a Microsoft account, so I only have the local account. I'm really stuck! If... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by bicho1, Jun 1, 2016.

1. bicho1 Win User

Forgot Windows login password, only have a local account

I can't log in to my computer because I forgot my password. I didn't set up a Microsoft account, so I only have the local account. I'm really stuck! If anyone has a solution for me, I would appreciate it so much!

Thank you so much!

:)

bicho1, Jun 1, 2016

2. My os version is windows 10. I'm unable to login the local account as I forgot the login password.

<Original title: forgot login password>

My os version is windows 10. I'm unable to login the local account as I forgot the login password. On the other hand,the only option available is to reset password which further gives an error message.

Kindly help...

Dhannanjai, Jun 1, 2016
  3. Forgot password for the local account.

Hey!

I am using a windows 10 local administrator account on my pc. I login using my pin every time, and hence forgot my password. How do i reset my password?

Please note, it is a local account.

Original title: Local Accounts

ArjunParameswaran, Jun 1, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

This is a tough one unless you made a password recovery disk, had a MS account or have another user account. Ways of making another user account you will need a Windows 10 installation disk to boot from. Other option is to call MS or reinstall windows.

http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-...in-windows-10/

jds63, Jun 1, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    simrick, Jun 1, 2016
  6. bicho1 Win User
    Thanks so much for you help. Two clarifications: I have a few files that I need to preserve so I can't reset the system. Also, I do have a microsoft account, but I didn't set it up on this computer. Is there a way I can modify the login to use the microsoft account instead? Thanks so much again!

bicho1, Jun 1, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    When you boot to Kyhi's recovery media, you can use File Explorer to find your important files and copy them to an external drive for safe-keeping. This could also be done once you are in the Hidden Administrative Account.

You need to either gain access to the existing account
    -by removing the password and rebooting into Windows normally to access the existing account, then switching it over to an MS account, or,
    - create a new local admin account, then use that account to remove the password from the existing account.

Either way, once you have access to the existing account, you can switch it to an MS account:
    Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Jun 1, 2016
  8. bicho1 Win User

I created the recovery usb using the WIN10586PESE_x64.ISO file (I think I did this correctly?) and attempted to boot using the usb by using the BIOS entry key (F10) in my case, but when I got to the setup screen, there was no "Boot" tab. What did I do wrong? Thank you for your patience and generosity in helping me despite my apparent incompetence *Smile

bicho1, Jun 1, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    I can't help if I don't know what your system specs are. I need them available, so I can click on your specs no matter where I am in the thread.
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

How did you create the USB? Did you right-click the ISO file to MOUNT, then copy all the files over to the USB flash drive?

simrick, Jun 1, 2016
  10. bicho1 Win User
    I just filled in my specs. Yes, that is how I created the USB.

bicho1, Jun 1, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Okay thanks.
    You need to go into your BIOS and make some changes so you can boot from USB. Give me a few -

simrick, Jun 1, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Okay please see if this helps:
    how to boot from usb on HP ENVY 15-k000nx Notebook PC - HP Support Forum - 4379722

Re: how to boot from usb on HP ENVY 15-k000nx Notebook PC

1) Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port and turn on the computer.

2) Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

3) Press F9 to open the Boot Device Options menu.

4) Use the up or down arrow key to select the USB flash drive, and then press Enter .

NOTE: If you cannot select the USB flash drive from the Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Support in BIOS. For detailed instructions, see the Disabling Secure Boot on a notebook computer (Windows 8). After saving the changes, the computer will request that you confirm the changes... Accept the changes by typing the four digit code and pressing the "ENTER" key.

You may also have to set "System Configuration" > "USB3.0 Config in Pre-Boot" to "Auto" in the BIOS.

simrick, Jun 1, 2016
  13. bicho1 Win User

IT worked! Thank you for all your help!!!*Smile

bicho1, Jun 2, 2016
  14. simrick Win User
    Super! I'm sure it will be helpful if you summarize your steps for others who find this thread later. Cheers!

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Forgot Windows login password, only have a local account - Similar Threads - Forgot login password

2. I forgot my local accounts password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I forgot my local accounts password: Hello, i forgot the password for my local account of my computer I've tried everything, but the rest password disc dosent work, the security questions i answered are my real things, like first pet ect but it dosent work. Please help this is the administrator account and my...
  3. FORGOT LOCAL PASSWORD

FORGOT LOCAL PASSWORD: Hi , My laptop started acting weird and failed to recognise my fingerprint. I have forgot my PIN or maybe the one i entered is correct . I happen to remember my password but my laptop says it's incorrect. I managed to log into another local account on the same PC which...
  4. Forgot local account password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Forgot local account password: I've logged out my email because I wanted to add my new one and now it asks me for my account password. I use a pin to log in to my computer. I set that password 4 years ago and never used it since I have a pin. I am trying to reset the password but i can't figure it out....
  5. forgot local password

in Windows 10 Customization
    forgot local password: i forget a password to login in my desktop how i reset to login https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgot-local-password/9221376a-7013-42b7-81a2-8f59a705e311
  6. Forgot local password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgot local password: Hi! I forgot my password I put in after turning on the pc. if I log into my Microsoft account on my phone the pc shows up. are these two accounts linked so I can reset the pc password?...
  7. Password That I Forgot Of Local Account

Password That I Forgot Of Local Account: i had signed with local account i dont remember password and well security questions..what can i do for it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-that-i-forgot-of-local-account/beba5caa-be69-4d2a-a136-792c9d2cb004
  8. forgot my password , local account

forgot my password , local account: I used to have the setting turned on so that every time my computer sleeps, i needed to enter a password. i turned it off so that i could just log in and out with 1 click, because i was planning to bring it into a repair shop for service, i did not want to have to tell them...
  9. which account is considered local account? do not have a password, or forgot

which account is considered local account? do not have a password, or forgot: Is my windows password works for my local account? I have been using a pin, do not remember password. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-account-is-considered-local-account-do-not/388cf0d2-46fe-4c0a-b98f-cab853107ea8
  10. forgot what the password is for your local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    forgot what the password is for your local account: What if you are using your Microsoft account Shawn, and you forgot what the password is for your local account??? Long time ago when I was just using my local account, I never had a password setup for it. Now if I try to log in to my local account, it wants me to enter a...