Windows 10: Forgotton password

Discus and support Forgotton password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello everyone It's not as bad as it sounds. I can still get on to my computer and use it just fine. Here's the situation. I bought a new... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by James500, Nov 30, 2016.

1. James500 Win User

Forgotton password

Hello everyone

It's not as bad as it sounds.

I can still get on to my computer and use it just fine. Here's the situation.

I bought a new computer about a month ago, and I set a password that must be entered to go beyond the lock screen. And while customizing the computer, doing things like downloading security updates, downloading third party programs, and other things like that, I told windows not to require this password.

I'm 95+ percent finished with the customizing now, and I'd like to start using a password again. But I've forgotten the password I was using when I turned the password requirement off. The password is still in the computer, but as instructed, the computer skips over it, or automatically enters it, because it's not required.

What I'd like to do is find the password (or hint) and reactive the lock screen password requirement.

Help!

:)

James500, Nov 30, 2016

2. Microsoft accounts Troubleshooter for windows 10

I have forgotton my password for windows 10

JohnKelly4, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Locked out of my laptop

I'm also still locked out from my laptop as i have forgotton the password required by Win10, that is many months now.

Lenny Henry, Nov 30, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Forgotton password

When Windows signs you automatically in to desktop, open an elevated Command Prompt and enter the following command to reset your password:

Code: net user Username Password[/quote]
    Replace Username in above command with your local account username, and Password with you preferred new password (Microsoft account passwords should only be changed on https://account.live.com).

Example: Windows local user account username JohnDoe wants to reset the password to MyNewPassword123, the command would be:

Code: net user JohnDoe MyNewPassword123[/quote]
    Sign out from Windows, sign back in. Now you can remove the automatic sign in.

5. RolandJS Win User
    Can the User Account be used to change the password? Windows 7: Control Panel --> User Account can, I don't know about Windows 10.

RolandJS, Nov 30, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Setting / reset password can be done in an elevated Command Prompt, even for the local account the user is currently signed in if the local user is admin. If the local user is standard user without admin rights, a local admin password must be entered to run an elevated Command Prompt.

In this case OP's first post, although not mentioning it directly strongly hints he is the local admin user and the solution in my previous post works without him needing to remember his original password used for auto login.

Using Control Panel or Settings app to reset the password would require user to remember his old password.

EDIT:

I misread the question first, misunderstanding it. My reply is now edited as I noticed I had answered on a wrong question based on this misunderstanding.

My apologies.

7. RolandJS Win User
    Kari - I learned from your posts! Thanks for the info! *Smile

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Forgotton password

1. Forgotton password - Similar Threads - Forgotton password

2. I forgot the password for an old computer, how can I reset it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I forgot the password for an old computer, how can I reset it?: I wan to revive an old computer running 8.1 but I forgot the password, what could I do to reset it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-forgot-the-password-for-an-old-computer-how-can/2421b02d-46c6-4854-87ef-df86c49960b6
  3. I forgot the password for an old computer, how can I reset it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I forgot the password for an old computer, how can I reset it?: I wan to revive an old computer running 8.1 but I forgot the password, what could I do to reset it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-forgot-the-password-for-an-old-computer-how-can/2421b02d-46c6-4854-87ef-df86c49960b6
  4. Can I uninstall recent windows 10 update during automatic repair loop without admin password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I uninstall recent windows 10 update during automatic repair loop without admin password?: Hi, after updating windows 10 to latest update my pc got stuck in an automatic repair loop and all troubleshoot options, including uninstalling recent update require admin account password which is allegedly incorrect even after resetting it using another pc. I also checked...
  5. Windows 11 Forgotton Adminstrator Password BUT I can log into Home Edition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Forgotton Adminstrator Password BUT I can log into Home Edition: Hi Your help will be appreciated.I am able to log into my laptop BUT I cannot log in as Administrator as the system is rejecting my password unfortunately I did NOT make a reset USB.I purchased my laptop from Dell no disks/sticks supplied I do KNOW my Product Code.ThanksMargo...
  6. Windows 11 Forgotton Adminstrator Password BUT I can log into Home Edition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Forgotton Adminstrator Password BUT I can log into Home Edition: Hi Your help will be appreciated.I am able to log into my laptop BUT I cannot log in as Administrator as the system is rejecting my password unfortunately I did NOT make a reset USB.I purchased my laptop from Dell no disks/sticks supplied I do KNOW my Product Code.ThanksMargo...
  7. Windows 10 Activation Bound Email address - Forgotton

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation Bound Email address - Forgotton: How can i recover the email address that i have created for my windows licence key on my HP Laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-activation-bound-email-address/ec238bee-b737-474f-a199-329b82965788
  8. Forgotton sign in and password for laptop.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forgotton sign in and password for laptop.: I gave my grandson my old laptop and I can't remember the microsoft administrative sign in for the laptop. How can we retrieve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotton-sign-in-and-password-for-laptop/429ebf43-e2fa-4fc1-8b94-381f62a3f388
  9. Forgotton Windows Password But Remember Pin,

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Forgotton Windows Password But Remember Pin,: Hello, I have been having issues downloading things from the store as it requires my microoft to be linked to my laptop in general. It requires my password but I have used my pin for over a year and forgot my password. I have attempted all administrative routes and I do not...
  10. cant get into my pc desktop as I have forgotton my password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    cant get into my pc desktop as I have forgotton my password: I can get into my Microsoft account from a borrowed laptop but cant get into my pc because I have moved house and forgotten my password please help as I have been trying to get back on for over 6 weeks now... I have tried the recovery but it asks about x box and skype and...