Windows 10: Format Ext. HDD that appear as LOCAL DISK and SLOWS DOWN my windows.

Discus and support Format Ext. HDD that appear as LOCAL DISK and SLOWS DOWN my windows. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a TOSHIBA 1TB External Hard Drive... One night I was using it perfectly. The day after when I woke up, I plugged in the ext. HDD and showed up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chachastine, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Format Ext. HDD that appear as LOCAL DISK and SLOWS DOWN my windows.

I have a TOSHIBA 1TB External Hard Drive... One night I was using it perfectly. The day after when I woke up, I plugged in the ext. HDD and showed up as a Local Disk. When I try to open it, a message kept showing up that says I have to format it. That's what it does for a few days until it came to the point that the message doesn't appear anymore and the ext. HDD still shows up as a Local Disk and now slows down my computer. That's still what it does 3 YEARS from now. Just last week, I was able to recover the files in it using "M3 Data Recovery." That's it! I'm done having my files back. All I want now is to FORMAT the External Hard Drive. But I can't find a way to do it. When I right click it in "This PC", to select format, the format window appears only like 90% of the time when I try to open it. But when the format window appears, I check the "Quick format" and press the start. After a few minutes, a message shows up that says the format was unable to complete. I don't know the reason why. The same happens when I format it in "Disk Management" under "Computer Management."

Is there any other way to format the Ext. Hard Drive?? Because I've heard this many times that when formatting it, it will now be accessible and will show up as its previous name as "TOSHIBA (EXT)" or at least that's how I remember how it appears before.

Additionally, what is the reason why it slows down my computer when it's plugged in?? I really have no idea.

Thanks to anyone who would read this and/or reply! *Smile

:)

Chachastine, Nov 22, 2015
  2. Fasil Vh Win User

MBR TO GPT without losing data

Hi,

I am existing windows user, and i am change my motherboard and try to install windows on ext hdd. the disk part is not work( can't select ext win OS partition the hdd is only support to install win 7. the error is hdd is changed to mbr mode. The solution
    is fully format the hdd.

How can i install win 10 and without losing data.?

Fasil Vh, Nov 22, 2015
  3. Fasil Vh Win User
    windows not install

Hi,

I am existing windows user, and i am change my motherboard and try to install windows on ext hdd. the disk part is not work( can't select ext win OS partition the hdd is only support to install win 7. the error is hdd is changed to mbr mode. The solution
    is fully format the hdd.

How can i install win 10 and without losing data.?

Fasil Vh, Nov 22, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Format Ext. HDD that appear as LOCAL DISK and SLOWS DOWN my windows.

It sounds like your HD is fried.

topgundcp, Nov 22, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Maybe the disk is still OK but the SATA to USB adapter is broken. Since it is out of warranty, I would break the enclosure open (careful not to damage the disk) and get the disk out. Then I would put it inside the computer like a standard SATA disk and test it for problems. If it is OK, you can either leave it inside and use it as a second disk for data or buy a new USB enclosure and make it external again.

spapakons, Nov 23, 2015
  6. Thanks Spapakons! Maybe I'll try that.

Topgundcp. I don't think it's fried... I forgot to tell this but the external hard drive, when I plug it in a Mac, it opens perfectly normal. But when it's in windows, like I said, appears as local disk and slows down the system... I tried to format it in Mac but it won't.

Chachastine, Nov 23, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is readyboost enabled for the drive?
    Right click on the drive icon, select properties, readyboost tab, make sure "do not use this device" is checked.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Format Ext. HDD that appear as LOCAL DISK and SLOWS DOWN my windows.

1. Format Ext. HDD that appear as LOCAL DISK and SLOWS DOWN my windows. - Similar Threads - Format Ext HDD

2. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disconnecting Ext HDD: I always click the lower left Icon to disconnect my Ext HDs, but they always seem to stay busy even though I stop all processes. Is there a way to tell what process is still active & preventing me from disconnecting? Or a way to stop all easily? I end up rebooting after I...
  3. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disconnecting Ext HDD: I always click the lower left Icon to disconnect my Ext HDs, but they always seem to stay busy even though I stop all processes. Is there a way to tell what process is still active & preventing me from disconnecting? Or a way to stop all easily? I end up rebooting after I...
  4. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. need to reformat a ext HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to reformat a ext HDD: Hello - I have a new 2TB HDD for a laptop. I formatted it and created partitions, but failed to create enough space for the C: drive. So I want to start over, but after deleting the partitions, File Mgr is not detecting the HDD. I am using AOMEI Disk Part and it recognizes...
  6. Access to Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to Ext HDD: I found that to use my Ext HDD, I needed to go to the Control panel and declare it as a Backup Storage device. Prior to a week or so ago, all I had to do was plug the ext HDD into my laptop via USB. But now that I have declared it a Backup device, I am still unable to see it...
  7. HDD gradually slowing down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD gradually slowing down: I'm facing issues with new hard drive yet it's transfer and download speed is diminished quickly regardless of whatever framework equivalent any longer. Seagate backup HDD 2TB....
  8. Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot time with new ext HDD. Help!: Secondary external 8TB HDD WD Mybook, adding blank screen with non flashing white underscore to boot time increasing boot time by 10+ seconds. When I unplug the HDD the whole system boots in 5 seconds or less. Things tried that didn’t work, disabling fast startup and double...
  9. Why is my HDD slowing down my PC?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why is my HDD slowing down my PC?: OK, so I've got a Toshiba 1TB HDD, but my old HDD (WD Caviar Blue 250GB SATAIII) slows down my pc everytime I plug it in. I plug in the SATA, the SATA Power, but when I try to open it anywhere, Windows Explorer crashes, Diskpart is not listing the disks, and Windows...
  10. Disk Cleanup Not Cleaning Ext. HDD Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup Not Cleaning Ext. HDD Recycle Bin: I ran disk cleanup and selected my external hdd and selected the recycle bin. After 10 minutes disk cleanup closed. But, the Recycle bin still has the files in it. I manually cleaned the recycle bin and it took 2 minutes. Am I missing something with Disk Cleanup?? James...