Windows 10: Format mbr external drive to gpt

Discus and support Format mbr external drive to gpt in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was recently instructed how to format a GPT external drive to MBR.It was 4 terabytes and now is only 2 terabytes.I understand why because it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eore, Dec 17, 2017.

1. eore Win User

Format mbr external drive to gpt

I was recently instructed how to format a GPT external drive to MBR.It was 4 terabytes and now is only 2 terabytes.I understand why because it was explained on this site.What I would like to know is can I format it back to MBR so I can get
    the 4 terabytes back.Hope I explained that right,thank-you Tony.

:)

2. booting an external drive

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is it. Also noticed three pcs are MBR and three are GPT. Also the other external drives and a 64gb sd card are MBR.

Also no matter which pc is used the 2TB drive always formats to GPT.

I am Equal, Dec 17, 2017
  3. slance310 Win User
    do windows 10 recognize 3TB Harddrive

Hi,

The drive needs to be a GPT type drive, but is probably MBR...

If it is a new drive you will need to delete the partitions and reboot your machine...

When you are asked to "Initialize" the drive, select GPT instead of MBR...

You can do this in Disk Management..

Then format it as NTFS...

If the drive has data on it, or works on a different machine, don't do what I just suggested... Especially if it is a external drive...

My suggestion is for a new internal drive...

slance310, Dec 17, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 17, 2017
  5. eore Win User
    I will give it a try and thank-you so much for the quick response.Tried it and seemed to work fine but I did not get the space back.I am not to bright,it did work ok,just had to extend the volume in disk management.Got my 4 terabytes back and thank-you.

6. lmaneke Win User
    Have you went into disk management and checked to see if the entire Hard disk is allocated? If all 4 tb isn't showing, then the rest of the disk hasn't been allocated and formatted.

lmaneke, Dec 18, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
  8. eore Win User

Thanx for all the help,did extend the volume and got the 4 tb back.

eore, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Format mbr external drive to gpt - Similar Threads - Format mbr external

2. Gpt disk convert to mbr then delete volume is worse than gpt to mbr full format

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Gpt disk convert to mbr then delete volume is worse than gpt to mbr full format: Gpt disk convert to mbr then delete volume is worse than gpt to mbr full format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gpt-disk-convert-to-mbr-then-delete-volume-is/c8e7163c-d046-430e-a26c-799973e79a9a
  3. MBR to GPT had drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MBR to GPT had drive: I’m trying to do a build with my cousin, he set the drive with windows to GPT because he said the msi MB can’t read MBR. Computer booted fine with just the windows drive. We plugged in my other drives and got this error https://i.imgur.com/CcjpMMA.jpg. His friend is claiming...
  4. 2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??

2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??: I just got a new 2TB HHD and i want to know which partition style i need to use MBR or GPT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2tb-hdd-format-to-mbr-or-gpt/672f2d14-e381-4682-9f1b-9b89f016c52f
  5. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  6. MBR or GPT Format

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR or GPT Format: Greetings, Which is the recommended format to use on my new hdd? GPT or MBR? As GPT always have extra partitions when install Windows 10. I don't really like to have these partitions on my hdd. If I use MBR format, will my other hdds (2 X 4TB) in GPT be available to use?...
  7. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  8. Mixing drives with GPT and MBR

in Windows 10 Support
    Mixing drives with GPT and MBR: All the drives in an old computer are MBR drives. Windows 10 is installed on one of these drives. A friend gave me a 2T disk drive which is GPT. I installed the drive and the computer seems to recognize it . Can I leave it as a GPT drive or should I convert it to MBR. This...
  9. SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?

SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?: Hello, Recently I've purchased a Kingston 240GB SSD. I initialized the SSD in GPT, and installed Windows 10. But, when I looked my 2TB HDD partitions, they are in MBR format. Will there have any stability issues when the SSD is in GPT and HDD in MBR? Do I need to change my...
  10. mbr and gpt on the same drive

mbr and gpt on the same drive: so a clean install on a crucial mx500 ssd. used uefi from usb stick to install windows so that it would create the gpt partition. all updates installed fine and when i checked the drive using a portable partition manager, i had a system reserved partition, an mbr partition,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. format gpt drive

2. formatting an external drive mbr partition

3. how to format an external drive to mbr