Windows 10: Format option in context menu in Disk Management disabled

Discus and support Format option in context menu in Disk Management disabled in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I want to completely delete all partition and format one of my drives. When I go to Disk Management and right-click the drive, I can't select "Format",... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eirikff, Jul 6, 2016.

1. eirikff Win User

Format option in context menu in Disk Management disabled

I want to completely delete all partition and format one of my drives. When I go to Disk Management and right-click the drive, I can't select "Format", nor "Delete Volume".

Format option in context menu in Disk Management disabled [​IMG]

Then, when I try to use DISKPART from the command line, I get this message:
    Code: DISKPART> clean Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.[/quote] Even though is said the drive contains the current boot, it does not. I have a separate SSD which have Windows installed, and which is my main OS drive.

I even tried to format the drive from Explorer, but got the error message: "The drive is in use by another program. Do you want to continue?" (something like that.)

I believe the drive I want to clean is somehow used to boot Windows or used by a program. However, trying to think of currently open programs installed on the drive, I come up short. I tried closing all open programs to no avail. Furthermore, I shut down my computer, disconnected the SATA cable to the drive and booted my machine up again. Windows booted up with no troubles.

The EFI partition could be from when I had Windows installed on the drive, but that's a long time ago now. The only solution I have at the moment is to boot up Linux from a thumb-drive and format the disk from there. However, I would prefer to do it in Windows just to be safe.

If anyone know what could be the problem, or could point me in the right direction, please do let me know! Thanks!

Edit:
    I posted over at Tom's Hardware as well. No solution is found yet, but there is a discussion going on. Format option in context menu in Disk Management disabled - Hard Drives - Storage

:)

eirikff, Jul 6, 2016

2. Added HDD not showing in File Manager

Sounds like you'll have to first format the HD. In Disk management can you do that (right click on the listed drive to call up context menu) or does it remain inaccessible?

You may have to boot from an ISO and use some option to get to Diskpart. I haven't used that much so you'd best google that for a how-to.

laudablepus, Jul 6, 2016
  3. CANNOT SEE SECOND HDD

May I know if the Disk Management can detect the device? If so, can you tell me what is the file system of it. Or if it is unallocated?

To open Disk Management, right-click on the Start Menu icon and choose it from the context menu.

iamveryshai, Jul 6, 2016
  4. eirikff Win User

SOLUTION (2016-07-12): After a while I've concluded that (in my case) it was the Page File that was keeping me from formating the drive. After I freed up some space on my C:\ drive, it automatically moved over there. If that is not an option (i.e. freeing up space), it should be possible to temporarily disable it, format the drive, partition it as you like, and then enable the Page File again (you will need at least one partition formatted with NTFS). Then Windows will automatically choose the fitting place for the Page File.

See the Tom's Hardware post for more information.

eirikff, Jul 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Format option in context menu in Disk Management disabled - Similar Threads - Format option context

2. Missing options in Context menu/New

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing options in Context menu/New: As the image below shows, I'm missing the new text file option and several others I know I've seen before.I don't know when these options disappeared or if I ever had them. I mainly played games for a few months after upgrading to Windows 11.I'm fully prepared to edit the...
  3. "Convert to" option missing in context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Convert to" option missing in context menu: Dear Microsoft, previously when I was a windows10 user, I had an option named "Convert to" or something like that from where I used to convert my PDF files to excel, word, or PowerPoint...but after the windows 11 update I noticed that option as missing in my context menu the...
  4. "Convert to" option missing in context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Convert to" option missing in context menu: Dear Microsoft, previously when I was a windows10 user, I had an option named "Convert to" or something like that from where I used to convert my PDF files to excel, word, or PowerPoint...but after the windows 11 update I noticed that option as missing in my context menu the...
  5. Strange option in my context menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange option in my context menu: [ATTACH] I literally have no idea, tried removing it with other third party programs that delete things from the context menu, searched the thing.. nothing. The thing I circled is what I want gone. submitted by /u/Akla9955 [link] [comments]...
  6. Losing most context menu options?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Losing most context menu options?: This has stumped me for a while. Dell Precision M4800. 16GB, 2TB Samsung SSD. Win10 fully updated. All Dell updates too. Once in a while most of the context menu options disappear. Double-clicking a folder won't open it, it'll run VLC instead. This is sometimes followed by...
  7. context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option

in Windows 10 Customization
    context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option: context menu is missing the 'OPEN' option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/context-menu-is-missing-the-open-option/0d7c340c-17ef-4b71-893c-e6da8327f7e2
  8. Windows 10 disk management right-click context menu broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 disk management right-click context menu broken: So I've searched up similar questions, and found one from 2016 for windows 7 But basically, I have some free space on my disk from a resized ubunu partition and i wanted to add it to my current windows partition, however, when i open windows disk management and right click...
  9. Disable "Refresh" option from desktop right click context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable "Refresh" option from desktop right click context menu: Anyone know how to do this? 122137
  10. How to Disable "View" option from Desktop context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Disable "View" option from Desktop context menu: Hello all ! I have a simple question that how can we disable "view" option from desktop context menu. [img] any help would be appriciated. thanks in advance 85555

Users found this page by searching for:

1. format option in context menu disk management disable