Windows 10: format partition before installation

Discus and support format partition before installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I did a clean install of windows 10 (previously i had windows 7 64 bit) and when asked me where to install windows 10 there were the options... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by paulos, Aug 6, 2015.

1. paulos Win User

format partition before installation

Hi there,
    I did a clean install of windows 10 (previously i had windows 7 64 bit) and when asked me where to install windows 10 there were the options 1) the partition where i had windows 7 110 gb ssd and 2) system reserved ~100 mb. I want to know if there is a problem or anything because i didn't delete the 1) partition and do the format after but i selected 1) partition and a pressed format for that directly.
    thanks

:)

paulos, Aug 6, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Windows anniversary update dvd install

I do not know if you can make new partitions but if you do a Custom install and pick the partition to install into you can format that partition. Also as long as you have not continued to install you can pick another partition and format it.

Make sure you click on the System partition before you continue to install.

After installing you can download EaseUS Partition Manager free and do the adjustments to the partitions.

Easier than Disk Management.

lacrumb, Aug 6, 2015
  3. srfreeman Win User
    W10 Disc Clean & Fragment

The 'SYSYTEM RESERVED' partition has been around since Windows 7 or before. It is simply a utility (stub) partition that is created when the OS is installed on a drive that is not partitioned/formatted. It contains things like boot information and encryption
    information.

This will not be seen on systems where the OS was installed on a partitioned and formatted drive.

A couple of requirements for the 'SYSYTEM RESERVED' partition.

BIOS/MBR: May be formatted as either FAT32 or NTFS.

UEFI/GPT: Must be formatted as FAT32.

Very simply put, a utility partition is for system use only. The Defrag utility in Windows will not act upon a utility partition. Your system is working as designed. The label is there for a reason.

srfreeman, Aug 6, 2015
Thema:

format partition before installation

1. format partition before installation - Similar Threads - format partition before

2. 'Windows could not format a partition' when installing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Windows could not format a partition' when installing: I corrupted my main partition so I'm reinstalling Windows 7 from an ISO burned to a flash drive in Rufus. I clicked 'Custom' then the main partition, and saw 'Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing a partition selected for...
  3. 'Windows could not format a partition' when installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Windows could not format a partition' when installing: I corrupted my main partition so I'm reinstalling Windows 7 from an ISO burned to a flash drive in Rufus. I clicked 'Custom' then the main partition, and saw 'Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing a partition selected for...
  4. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition: I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because my pc become unusable like, "System Service Exception BSOD " Too many errors on event viewer. And I got this problem that I cannot explain. english is not my first language First thing I do when I notice this problem is when I...
  5. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition: I wanted to reinstall windows 10 because my pc become unusable like, "System Service Exception BSOD " Too many errors on event viewer. And I got this problem that I cannot explain. english is not my first language First thing I do when I notice this problem is when I...
  6. Windows Installation: Cannot Format/Delete Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Formatting a partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting a partition: Before doing this I want to be 100% certain I am not formatting the entire C: drive. In Disk Management if I format a partition that had the recovery files will the rest of the hard drive be left alone? 128708
  8. Partitions Dilemma before Clean Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions Dilemma before Clean Install: Hi! I was just about to do a clean re-install of Windows 10 (Pro/64), but got stuck/confused with my partitions: why are there two recovery partitions on Drive 0? Can I delete both/any? How would I find out which Recovery partition is the current/active one? (Going by the...
  9. Create a partition before installing Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a partition before installing Windows 10?: I always created a partition on a wiped drive before installing Windows Vista, 7, or 8/8.1, because otherwise an extra partition was created. Now I'm going to install Windows 10 on a wiped drive. Is it best to create a partition before installing or allow Windows to manage...
  10. Deleting or Formatting a Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Deleting or Formatting a Partition: Hi all I have just reinstalled Win10 on our PC but installed it to the wrong partition. Now it won't let me delete or format the d drive because it holds system files/folders. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of it ? Many thanks 99593

Users found this page by searching for:

1. before install windows how to create partition microsoft document