Windows 10: Formatting flash drives

Discus and support Formatting flash drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all. Lately, every flash drive I've bought requires to be NTFS formatted. Quick formatting gives me the option to change allocation size. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by milford, Jan 28, 2016.

1. milford Win User

Formatting flash drives

Hi all.

Lately, every flash drive I've bought requires to be NTFS formatted. Quick formatting gives me the option to change allocation size. Is there a specific size I should be using or just go small?

:)

milford, Jan 28, 2016

2. Formatting Flash Drives into RAID Format?

Hi Zekiel,

Formatting flash drives into a RAID format is best handled by our Microsoft Technet forums. The TechNet community caters queries related
    to networking, domain, and client virtualization technologies. Click here
    to create your TechNet profile and follow the steps provided. Once done, click
    Ask a question
    to post your concern

Note: We also suggest checking this thread from time to time as there might be community members that would like to share their ideas relative to your concern.

Should you need further assistance or have other concerns, feel free to share your thoughts with us.

Lov Dollente, Jan 28, 2016
  3. Formatting Flash Drives into RAID Format?

Hi. I was wondering if there is a way to format USB Drives into RAID format on Windows 10. I have 2 completely different USB drives, one with 121 MB and another with 123 MB. They're not large but I just want to test it out before moving onto my larger ones.

Zekiel Foncardas, Jan 28, 2016
  4. unifex Win User

Formatting flash drives

I would just use the default value (which should be 4MB).

unifex, Jan 28, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    The answer would be that it depends upon what the file sizes are that will be stored on them.

But there is a caveat: most flash cards intended for use in cameras become unusable in the camera when formatted by a computer, have to be reformatted in the camera to be usable. Thumb drives are different, seldom if ever used in a camera.

Berton, Jan 28, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    4 KB. 4MB would be very storage inefficient - LOL

cereberus, Jan 28, 2016
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    A 4 KB cluster size is appropriate for just about any purposes. That is why it is the default. Only if you have a specific need would you change it to something else and with flash drives there usually isn't.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Formatting flash drives

1. Formatting flash drives - Similar Threads - Formatting flash drives

2. Format flash drive exFAT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Format flash drive exFAT: Format flash drive exFAT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-flash-drive-exfat/9b4ae7be-66d8-4279-8e68-fb2d07745b31
  3. Format flash drive exFAT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Format flash drive exFAT: Format flash drive exFAT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-flash-drive-exfat/9b4ae7be-66d8-4279-8e68-fb2d07745b31
  4. NTFS Formatted Flash Drives Freezes Computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTFS Formatted Flash Drives Freezes Computer: This has been my problem ever since 2010, always the same problem freezing the computer every time I plug a NTFS formatted flash drive into different windows systems 7 8 and 10, 6 different brands of NTFS formatted flash drives, 1 usb 2.0 sandisk, 2 usb 2.0 kingston, 2 usb...
  5. need instructions for formatting flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    need instructions for formatting flash drive: I have a flash drive which formerly was a bootable Rufus flash drive. In attempt to remove Rufus I created an unusable flash drive as shown in the snips from disk management shown below: [img] [img] I captured snips from an identical flash drive as shown below: [img]...
  6. formatting a new usb flash drive

formatting a new usb flash drive: What is the best way to format a usb device using Windows 10? Plus I have a USB flash drive that Windows won't recognize, how can I fix that problem so I can reformat it and reuse it? Thanks for your help Ken,...
  7. USB Flash drive not able to format

USB Flash drive not able to format: Hi there, I'm having a problem that my USB drive is not formatting. Whenever I format it, it gives me write-protection error. I tried to format it in my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 to see if there was an issue with Windows 10/my PC but of no luck. I also tried removing...
  8. Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay: How to format a usb flash drive for autoplay when connected to other devices like karaoke machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-usb-flash-drive-for-autoplay/e5ad6acc-dbef-48c9-a40e-290cc7526927
  9. Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format

Flash Drive - Write Protected - Format: I have (3) Microsoft brand 32 GB thumb drives that have Win 8.1 and preload software for my HP laptop, I have no use for them, and I'm certainly not ever going to put Win 8.1 back on my laptop, I spend most of time on my Surface and desktop PC, laptop is a backup device that...
  10. Format usb flash drive

Format usb flash drive: Hi looking for a good program to format my USB flash drive. Windows 10 won't recognise my flash drive it knows it's there but it's not showing up in drives I used the flash drive in my zgemma and the zgemma changes the partition in some way so PC won't recognise it now. I...