Windows 10: Formatting The Rest Of Your Disc After Restart?

Discus and support Formatting The Rest Of Your Disc After Restart? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I format a DVD in my drive, upon restart of my computer, if the disc is still in the drive, it always states 'formatting the rest of your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gelbs, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Gelbs Win User

Formatting The Rest Of Your Disc After Restart?

Whenever I format a DVD in my drive, upon restart of my computer, if the disc is still in the drive, it always states 'formatting the rest of your disc'...Why?? Never understood it. Even though it's already formatted it prior. Upon restart, it's clearly doing something, as the lights on, on the disc-drive. Why does it do it on re-start, anyone know??

:)

Gelbs, Jul 6, 2016
  2. mlg63 Win User

disc recovery after formatting

Why do you need disk partition E? (E is usually just a partition, not a separate hard drive) That will usually have recovery files or other non essential system files--not your personal files. If everything is running OK don't worry about it. We all have
    formatted the wrong partition or disk. That's why you should assign letters at the end of the alphabet when you use flash drives or other removables. If you have assigned letters W-Z to removable media, Windows will not randomly assign letters that can confuse
    the user. To check your disk partitioning, open Disk Management by right clicking on the Start button. You will see a visual of all your hard drives.

mlg63, Jul 6, 2016
  3. Unable to burn CDs/DVD after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi there,

I am having the same problem after upgrading it to windows 10 from windows 7. I have the files copied on the dvd. When I try to burn it by selecting Burn Disc option from My PC/DVD drive/Share, it shows that please make sure that disc format is recognized
    by windows. Format the disc if its not formatted.

I tried to format the disc but formatting of the disc fails as well. Please advise what may be the problem.???

Husain Campwala, Jul 6, 2016
  4. Formatting The Rest Of Your Disc After Restart?

I'm confused as to what you mean by formatting a DVD?

DeaconFrost, Jul 6, 2016
  5. Gelbs Win User
    A DVD-RW disc. If I put something onto it, I can erase and format the DVD to free it up.

Gelbs, Jul 6, 2016
  6. Hmmm, never heard that as formatting before. Anytime I've used RW discs, I'll erase them, and then burn something new or remove them.

When you restart, and you get this message, is it before or after you log in?

DeaconFrost, Jul 6, 2016
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Yep, I've used DVD and CD RWs. Two choices if PC "asks" [I can't remember the wording]: format or erase; it's something to do with what will the CD or DVD be used for. Depending upon whether I'm going to Explorer copy/move folders and files OR create an audio CD or video DVD, determines format or erase respectively. Now, why your computer is still finishing formatting after a restart, I don't know.

RolandJS, Jul 6, 2016
  8. Gelbs Win User

Soon as Windows boots up pretty much. A message comes up at the bottom of the screen near the clock. It isn't important. Just wondering why it seems to finish off formatting the disc or whatever it's doing, when I already previously formatted via right clicking on the disc drive on 'My computer'/ 'This PC'. Lol.

Gelbs, Jul 6, 2016
  9. Gelbs Win User
    I asked the question somewhere else. Someone thought it might be the drive reading the disc during startup, to see if it isn't a bootable media disc or something. Just wondered if anyone else had the same thing happening, too.

Gelbs, Jul 6, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    If the BIOS is set to boot to the ODD/Optical Disc Drive first, that would occur. Same sometimes happens with External USB HDDs, does make for longer boot times. Windows likes to check all its options.

Berton, Jul 6, 2016
  11. Gelbs Win User
    Yeah. I have my hard-drive as the primary/boot priority though, over any DVD drives etc.

Gelbs, Jul 6, 2016
  12. RolandJS Win User
    For desktops, I recommend having BIOS order: usb flash drives, usb HDs, CD-DVD external, CD-DVD internal, internal HD C. Same order for laptops, except, one normally cannot have a nonSystem usb flash drive in any usb port during boot process. Makes for longer boot, however, at least I can intercept C-boot/startup if I need to troubleshoot "before Windows."

Addendum: Let me amend this post: my boot order is aimed only at fellow geeks who are comfortable with tweaking computer boots/Windows startup. Everyone else is better served with whatever boot/startup rolled off the factory floor.

RolandJS, Jul 6, 2016
  13. Formatting The Rest Of Your Disc After Restart?

if its a rewritable and you don't close the dvd it will reformat and start all over again by reformatting you need a software that will create new sessions on the dvd or multiple sessions

gijoetech1, Jul 6, 2016
  14. AndreyT Win User
    This is probably the worst idea ever, which for many people will lead to inadvertent boots from USB flash drives or CD/DVD discs accidentally left in the drive. Hello malicios software!

No, absolutely not. Boot order: internal HDD only, everything else disabled.

If you will ever need to boot from somethin else, you will always be able to either use boot override option at boot up or make quick adjustments in BIOS.

AndreyT, Jul 6, 2016
  15. RolandJS Win User
    I think much more viri and malware are introduced by folks in the chair by clicking on links while browsing and/or viewing email than ever introduced by usb stick, CD-DVD, external media. However, I will amend my earlier post: my boot order should have been aimed only at fellow geeks who are comfortable with tweaking computer boots/Windows startup; everyone else is better served with whatever boot/startup rolled off the factory floor.

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Formatting The Rest Of Your Disc After Restart? - Similar Threads - Formatting Rest Disc

2. Windows 10 randomly fills DVD Disc after formatting the Disc pls help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 randomly fills DVD Disc after formatting the Disc pls help: Hello Yesterday i bought new 8.5 GB DVD Discs because i wanted to use 1 to install windows on a old PC and i also wanted to use the rest for storage my Windows install disc had no problems . But the other discs which i wanted to use for storage all did something weird after i...
  3. Windows 10 randomly fills DVD Disc after formatting the Disc pls help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 randomly fills DVD Disc after formatting the Disc pls help: Hello Yesterday i bought new 8.5 GB DVD Discs because i wanted to use 1 to install windows on a old PC and i also wanted to use the rest for storage my Windows install disc had no problems . But the other discs which i wanted to use for storage all did something weird after i...
  4. Windows 10 randomly fills DVD Disc after formatting the Disc pls help

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Formatting a hard disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting a hard disc: How to format a Widows XP hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-disc/ac8f0d00-337d-45ba-9b1a-6ea0796dbaca
  6. Formatting a hard disc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting a hard disc: How to format a Widows XP hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-disc/ac8f0d00-337d-45ba-9b1a-6ea0796dbaca
  7. format a disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    format a disc: how do I format a new disc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-a-disc/4bc7963c-fc46-4040-a77e-39629ba8b621
  8. external hard disc showing for format disc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard disc showing for format disc: while I connect my external hard disc with data shows for format https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disc-showing-for-format-disc/a36ede3b-89f8-49e3-9511-7347823b0688"
  9. Disc formatting.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disc formatting.: Alright, I am of the opinion that some days ago, my windows broke down or crashed in some way, i tried troubleshooting ("not able to work") tried safe booting(still doesn't work) and much more,I have basically searched at every corner but I always end up at a dead end.So I...
  10. Prompt to format USB disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prompt to format USB disc: Hi, Windows 10 Pro with all the updates up to November 15, prompts to format my WD Passport Ultra 1TB which is full of valuable data. In Disk Management the USB drive was NTFS and now is RAW I’ve always ejected it properly! I’ve tried the following 1. changed...