Windows 10: Found a workaround to the painfully slow upgrade to 10049.

Discus and support Found a workaround to the painfully slow upgrade to 10049. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Many people, including myself, have been facing a problem when upgrading to the latest Windows 10 build, 10049. There is a bug in which the install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WinInsiderBeta, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Found a workaround to the painfully slow upgrade to 10049.

Many people, including myself, have been facing a problem when upgrading to the latest Windows 10 build, 10049.

There is a bug in which the install program downloads all available language packs when it is running.

Upon reboot, on the "circle with percentage" screen, the OS installs all the downloaded language packs, resulting in a very very very long upgrade process which can take 20+ hours in some cases.

I have read this in a forum comment (cannot remember what forum exactly)
    Thank you comment poster anyway.

And decided to test.
    It Works!!!!

Upgrade from build 9926 directly to 10049.
    For some reason, in this scenario, the setup program does not try to download the unnecessary language packs, and runs as normal.

The total install time in this case shrinks to about 3 hours or less.

I know this doesn't sound very practical, but is the only workaround i found.

Mine took less than one hour!

Hope this helps.

:)

WinInsiderBeta, Apr 5, 2015

2. Windows 10 store download stuck at 0 mb

I think I've found a solution for this problem.

My router / internet service provider offers a native IPv6 connection. Right after enableing IPv6 on my local network, downloads startet to be painfully slow / not starting at all.

Workaround:

Disable IPv6 protocol for your network connection or on your router for the entire network.

This solved the problem for me.

DerOlli1976, Apr 5, 2015
  3. Slow video downloads after upgrading to Windows 10

Old title: Slow video downloads

Upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. Since then i have found that trying to download videos attached to "anything" is painfully slow. I have to wait ages for it to start. Why? I run Google Chrome.

Thank you

Gerry

gerrymcphillips2805, Apr 5, 2015
  4. Found a workaround to the painfully slow upgrade to 10049.

Let's hope they fix it before 10051 or whatever the next one will be.
    Larry

shipinomore10, Apr 5, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Nice post - but what IS the solution ?

6. Saltgrass Win User
    The closer we are the the RTM, I will be working on upgrading directly from my Original OS instead of on a pre-upgraded build. I suppose that would be even better than upgrading from just an earlier build....

Saltgrass, Apr 5, 2015
  7. whs; I would hope that they have fixed the bug in the upgrade that allowed it to upgrade all of the languages instead of just the one on the system being upgraded.
    Larry

shipinomore10, Apr 5, 2015
  8. DavidY Win User

Found a workaround to the painfully slow upgrade to 10049.

DavidY, Apr 5, 2015
  9. Always amazing to me that this sort of thing somehow gets released to the public. It's like, no one bothered to test the install or maybe they just felt like having themselves a collective laugh.

musiclover7, Apr 6, 2015
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    I think the solution is to wait for the iso, fix it with Ntlite and make a fresh install. What keeps us from that is our curiosity and the investment in the current builds.

11. DavidY Win User
    It's not a release to the public.

It's a preview which is made available on the basis you accept there are bugs.

More than that, build 10049 is only available to 'fast' ring users who have accepted that there are even more bugs.

DavidY, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Found a workaround to the painfully slow upgrade to 10049.

1. Found a workaround to the painfully slow upgrade to 10049. - Similar Threads - Found workaround painfully

2. Microsoft Store Updating Apps Painfully Slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store Updating Apps Painfully Slow.: Hi everyone. : Hopefully someone can help me as nothing else on the internet seems to help with this problem. I've just brought a new laptop with the following specs:Intel i7 13700H CPU32GB 3200Mhz RAMIntel AX211 Wifi CardNvidia Geforce 4060 GPU2x 1TB PCI-E Solid State...
  3. Painfully slow download / 404 error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Painfully slow download / 404 error: Hi, while attempting to download .NET core 3.1 SDK x64, the page flashes the download screen then immediately goes to a 404 - Not Found. I waited 2 hours and tried again, this time the estimated download time is 3 hours. If somebody has a solution / mirror download I would...
  4. thumbnails painfully slow to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    thumbnails painfully slow to load: Hi, I bought a high powered Lenovo laptop for photo editing thinking I had all my bases covered - only to be tripped up by Windows 10 PAINFULLY slow loading and thus browsing of picture thumbnails. I have sometimes 1000s of photos in files that I need to view thumbnails of on...
  5. Browsers and Word are painfully slow after an upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Browsers and Word are painfully slow after an upgrade: Split from this thread. Hello. I let my laptop do its usual upgrade a few days ago. I thought nothing of it but ever since the upgrade it's been like pulling teeth just to get a single web browser to come up. I spent all day yesterday trying to get just a little bit of...
  6. Gears of war 5 Painfully slow download.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Gears of war 5 Painfully slow download.: After ten hours I have downloaded 2gb out of 63. Talking to tech support not very helpful at all, at one point they were trying to get me to reinstall my graphics drivers to solve a download issue. Its pretty obvious that this is a server problem on Microsoft end. The...
  7. SurfaceBook Painfully slow on chrome

SurfaceBook Painfully slow on chrome: Ive recently picked up a surfacebook 1 with dGPU and have noticed that compared to my old 2011 macbook pro and my friends surface2 that this surface book is extremely slow in chrome, switching tabs is very slow and loading new pages is even worse, ive noticed that its so slow...
  8. Windows 10 painfully slow

Windows 10 painfully slow: My old HP laptop running Windows 7 Pro crashed on me so I'm using my backup laptop a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series running Windows 10. It is ridiculously slow & beyond frustrating! I don't understand how a practically "new" computer (hardly ever used) is running so much slower...
  9. Windows 10 update - painfully slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update - painfully slow: Never seen this issue with Windows 7; I'm using a 10Mb connection which works fine when downloading anything else, but Windows Update is stuck on 2% for the past hour. Any help appreciated, P. 35593
  10. 10049 and VPN

in Windows 10 Support
    10049 and VPN: The new 10049 version will not let me install and run a VPN server. It is blocking the TAP driver need to run My Internet Access Server Since Microsoft is running a key logger on Windows 10 I suppose a VPN would not let them spy on all of us. How good or even crook is...