Windows 10: FPS drops by 20-30 frames after 5 minutes of playing, alt tab fixes it

Discus and support FPS drops by 20-30 frames after 5 minutes of playing, alt tab fixes it in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Not sure if it's the right place to post. Anyways, I reupgraded to windows 10 lately and when I downloaded CSGO, I noticed that my fps drastically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Famazed, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Famazed Win User

FPS drops by 20-30 frames after 5 minutes of playing, alt tab fixes it

Not sure if it's the right place to post. Anyways, I reupgraded to windows 10 lately and when I downloaded CSGO, I noticed that my fps drastically drops after 3-7 minutes of playing. Alt tabbing out and back in fixes it, but it happens again after 3-7 minutes. I don't really have any other games installed right now, so I can't check whether it's in all games or CSGO only. It does seem like it's in all games tho. What could be the problem? Temperatures are normal.

:)

Famazed, Mar 1, 2016
  2. Lintech1 Win User

FPS drops until I alt+tab

I have been encountering an unusual issue on my computer lately. Usually, when I start playing games, I get a solid fps around 60fps. However, after about 20 minutes, my fps drops to about 20fps. This is strange because whenever I alt+tab out of the game
    and back in, my fps returns to 60fps. Thank you for reading and please help me resolve this. Please tell me if you need any information to fix this issue.

Lintech1, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Vedio Frame rate of N80 IE

That would be really slow... FPS drops by 20-30 frames after 5 minutes of playing, alt tab fixes it ;)

I think you mean 15 frames per SECOND and 30 frames per SECOND.

If you save pictures at 30 fps the phone may not be able to handle them, so you may get pixelation, dropped frames or something else.

If you double the frame rate you should reduce the bitrate of the video as the total bandwidth of the video is affected by the codec, the framerate and the bitrate.

By using a higher framerate you are trading off smooth motion with picture quality. And the resulting file size will be larger.

One thing to consider is that movies are usually 24 fps (23.99 fps) so this framerate is good enough and you save some bandwidth.

It should be possible to play videos at 30 fps in N80 but I'm not sure at what bitrate.

el_loco---01, Mar 1, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

are you playing in windowed mode?

Archie123, Mar 3, 2016
  5. vgchat Win User
    vgchat, Mar 3, 2016
  6. Famazed Win User
    Got all the latest updates. I've tried those launch options before for CSGO, haven't worked. Drivers were 15.7.1, now updated to 15.11 Beta, same thing.

Famazed, Mar 4, 2016
  7. have you tried running a scan for malware? you could try doing a clean boot to see if that makes any difference.. maybe there is a program interfering and causing some frame loss in your game..

BrandonR188, Mar 4, 2016
  8. Famazed Win User

Scanned my PC with malwarebytes, all clean. I've done a clean boot before, but I'll give it a try.

Famazed, Mar 4, 2016
  9. vgchat Win User
    I think there's some background stuff going... maybe a browser or chat program you forgot to close? Before you start gaming, check for that stuff and turn it off before hand, otherwise it's going to suck your ram & cpu usage into oblivion.

vgchat, Mar 5, 2016
  10. Famazed Win User
    I close almost everything when playing.

Famazed, Mar 5, 2016
  11. vgchat Win User
    Here's an article you may want to read.
    Six Signs Your Graphics Card Might Be Dying - PCMech

Ever since I purchased my new computer, I tend to be a little paranoid about my hardware. I’m constantly monitoring everything for signs of failure, remaining vigilant even when there’s realistically no reason to be. One of the areas where I’m most worried about seeing signs of failure is in my graphics card; it wasn’t exactly a cheap purchase, after all. I’ve made myself intimately familiar with all the signs that my card might be running out of time.
    Today, I’m going to share them with you. If you’re lucky, maybe you’ll be able to catch a failing card before you’re left without a computer.
    You’re Seeing Way Too Much Stutter

Excessive stuttering when playing games, watching movies or streaming video could be the sign of a faulty graphics card, but it shouldn’t be used to diagnose the problem on its own. This stuttering could easily be the result of a whole host of other problems, including but not limited to bad RAM, a failing hard drive, corrupt software, a malware infestation, or even a low-quality monitor. Check your card if you notice excessive and unusual stuttering, but don’t immediately assume your card needs to be replaced because of it.
    Artifacts Are Everywhere

Visual artifacts (see here for an extreme example) are a far better indication that something’s going wrong with your graphics card. That said, these can often be the result of heat issues, either from excessive overclocking or a build-up of dust. Dust out your computer, check your voltage, and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it’s probably time to start shopping around for a new card.
    Your Textures Look Odd

As with visual artifacts, bad textures can also be an indication that your card is on its last legs. Again, don’t simply assume your card is failing if you start to run into texture problems. It could easily be a bug with your drivers, corrupt textures with your game installation or a compatibility issue with your card. Do a bit of searching online and see if anyone’s run into similar problems, and try reinstalling the game in which you encountered the weird textures while you’re at it. With any luck, you’re just dealing with a software problem, rather than a hardware problem.
    You’re Experiencing Consistent Crashes/Blue-screens

Now things are getting a touch more severe. If your system consistently crashes or blue-screens whenever you start to push your graphics card (by playing a graphically intense game, for example), then there’s a good chance your card is a dud (or that it will be soon). This is particularly true if you get crashes involving a significant degree of visual artifacts (but no blue screen). I was running into this issue with certain games; it turns out it was because the fan on my old graphics card was busted and it was overheating as a result. The card still worked fine, but the fan needed to be replaced.
    The Fan’s Way Louder Than It Should Be

If the fan on your graphics card sounds more like a jet turbine, that may be because the graphics card’s temperature has reached a nearly critical state. While this isn’t a sign that your card is dying on its own, running the graphics card at a higher-than-recommended operating temperature can easily lead to permanent damage. As with the artifacting issue, try dusting your graphics card off. If the sound is no longer present after you’ve gotten rid of any excess dust, then your card’s not dying. If the fan still goes nuts, then you’re probably going to be replacing your card.
    It Fails The Graphics Card Stability Test

Last, but certainly not least, try downloading and running a Furmark benchmark. If your card manages to get through the process without overloading, then it’s probably just fine. Do note that running any sort of intensive process such as this could well accelerate whatever graphics card problems you’re having and cause your card to fail; although it would have failed eventually on its own, that might mean some of you will want to avoid this step.

vgchat, Mar 6, 2016
  12. Famazed Win User
    Nope, GPU isn't dead. I noticed that I haven't mentioned my specs. Also, it's a goddamn laptop, HP Pavilion DV6 6053EA
    It has Intel i5 2410m at 2.3 GHZ, 4gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram,AMD Mobility Radeon 6490M 1GB GDDR5

Famazed, Mar 6, 2016
  13. FPS drops by 20-30 frames after 5 minutes of playing, alt tab fixes it

have you tried using disk cleanup and cleaning up any cache files and stuff that might be filling up your laptop? I would do that considering you did an upgrade.. and if you look back on a few old topics, people complained about game performance dropping when upgrading from a previous windows version to a new one and not doing a clean install.. they get game performance issues..

try running disk cleanup to get rid of all of those junk files and cache that is left behind after doing an upgrade.. i also would use CCleaner and clean up the rest of the cache on your pc, avoid the registry cleaner thing in CCleaner and you should be good..

BrandonR188, Mar 6, 2016
  14. Famazed Win User
    My disk cleanup used to froze at checking windows.old folder, but i'll give it another try. And why is CCleaners r3gistry cleaner bad? I've alwqys used it on win xp and 7, hqvent t4i3d it yet on windows 10. I did a clean install tho (kinda),trough win 10 media creation tool. I chose to keep nothing.

Famazed, Mar 6, 2016
  15. Famazed Win User
    Cleaning didn't help at all

Famazed, Mar 7, 2016
Thema:

1. FPS drops by 20-30 frames after 5 minutes of playing, alt tab fixes it - Similar Threads - FPS drops frames

2. frame drops to 10 fps for 3 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    frame drops to 10 fps for 3 seconds: Hello, this is my first time making a post here but i really do need help, a long time i got this laptop and it was working perfectly fine till one day i randomly started getting those lag spike in games i used to play on a daily basis, it's not normal lag spikes tho, my game...
  3. frame drops to 10 fps for 3 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    frame drops to 10 fps for 3 seconds: Hello, this is my first time making a post here but i really do need help, a long time i got this laptop and it was working perfectly fine till one day i randomly started getting those lag spike in games i used to play on a daily basis, it's not normal lag spikes tho, my game...
  4. fps drops to 5-10 every 2 minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fps drops to 5-10 every 2 minutes: so i have a nice enough config to play games at atleast 90-120 fps on medium setting i even get that fps but after like just 2-3 minutes fps drops to 5-10 for like 10 seconds and then back to normal but this keeps happening every 2 minutes its obviously unbearable...
  5. fps drops to 5-10 every 2 minutes

fps drops to 5-10 every 2 minutes: so i have a nice enough config to play games at atleast 90-120 fps on medium setting i even get that fps but after like just 2-3 minutes fps drops to 5-10 for like 10 seconds and then back to normal but this keeps happening every 2 minutes its obviously unbearable...
  6. Frame Drops after not playing for a while

Frame Drops after not playing for a while: So basically when I play a game the first time it has massive frame drops but I always thought that was completely normal and I still think it is but if someone knows better then correct me but when i stop playing that game for a while and decide to start it up again a few...
  7. Frame Drops after not playing for a while

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frame Drops after not playing for a while: So basically when I play a game the first time it has massive frame drops but I always thought that was completely normal and I still think it is but if someone knows better then correct me but when i stop playing that game for a while and decide to start it up again a few...
  8. How to fix frame drop 1 FPS in all games after Windows update??

How to fix frame drop 1 FPS in all games after Windows update??: Please help me!! I shut down my PC and it updated itself when booting back up. After it finished I tried to run my games and all of them experienced the same problem of frame drop going all the way to 1 FPS. I checked the history and all that was done was a Feature update to...
  9. All games suffer major FPS drop after playing for 10-20 minutes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All games suffer major FPS drop after playing for 10-20 minutes: Yesterday it was working fine but today when I play a game for about 10-20 min it just drops majorly in fps. When I restart it works fine but after 20 min I have the same issue. I tested this on Watch Dogs 1, Watch dogs 2, Red Dead Redemption & Dying light Specs: MX110 2GB...
  10. Alt+Tab issues and frame drops in-game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt+Tab issues and frame drops in-game: Recently I have built my own gaming pc, one easily capable of consistent 250+ frames on many of my favorite games. After attempting to use a dual-monitor set-up, on start-up, a noticeably long black screen appears where it never used to. This would clear after about 10...