Windows 10: Frame drops

Discus and support Frame drops in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; What are the best ways to stop/prevent frame drops in games. For example I have a Asus OG Strix 4gb Radeon RX470 but in games like Overwatch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Freak456, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Freak456 Win User

Frame drops

What are the best ways to stop/prevent frame drops in games.

For example I have a Asus OG Strix 4gb Radeon RX470 but in games like Overwatch whenever I jump into the action my frames start to plummet

:)

Freak456, Oct 4, 2017

2. Frames dropping suddenly.

Hi,

Corrupted components of your system is one possible reason why you are experiencing FPS drop. Here are methods on
    how to troubleshoot low FPS on Windows 10:

Method 1: Switch the Game bar off.

The Game bar is switched on by default. First, switch the Game bar off via the Settings app. You can configure the Game bar’s settings as follows:

1. First, press the Cortana button and enter ‘settings’ in the search box. Select to open the Settings app.

2. Alternatively, you can also press the Win key + I hotkey to open Settings.

3. Next, click Gaming to open the options shown in the snapshot directly below.

4. Select Game bar on the left of the Settings window.

5. Then toggle the Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar setting switch to Off.

6. Below that setting there’s a Show game bar when I play full-screen games Microsoft has verified option. Uncheck that option’s check box so that it’s not selected.

Method 2: Switch off Game DVR.

The Game bar includes Game DVR to record video so that you can capture clips of those more exciting gaming moments. Even though you’ve switched the game bar off, Game DVR still remains on. This is how you can disable the Game DVR:

1. Open Cortana and enter ‘xbox’ in the search box.

2. Select to open the Xbox app.

3. Open Settings and then select the Game DVR tab.

4. Turn the Take screenshots using Game DVR setting off.

5. If switching Game DVR off with Xbox app isn’t enough, you can also disable it via the registry. Press the Win key + R to open Run.

6. Enter ‘regedit’ in Run’s text box to open the Registry Editor.

7. First, open this registry path in the editor’s window: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > System > GameConfigStore.

8. Double-click the GameDVR_Enabled DWORD to open the Edit DWORD window directly below.

9. Enter ‘0’ in the Value data text box, and click the OK button.

10. Next, browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft >Windows in the Registry Editor.

Let us know how it turns out.

If you think this was helpful, do not hesitate to
    "mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Jomari Arc, Oct 4, 2017
  3. Frame Rate Drop

My Computer runs normally between 30fps and 60fps and now that i have windows 10 im lucky to get 5fps. i want to keep using W10 but i want to play my games, any suggestions?

Undead Edgar, Oct 4, 2017
  4. Frame drops

No matter what your PC components are, there are ways to squeeze out some extra frames-per-second. If you have the latest game and it’s still unplayable even after all the tricks outlined in this article, you’re probably due for an upgrade.

1. Reduce your resolution

The resolution that you play at has the biggest effect on gaming performance. If you are not getting an adequate frame rate at 2560×1440, then drop to 1920×1080. The number of pixels is reduced by about 44%, but the performance will improve by about 40%. Going from 1920×1080 to 1600×900 is a 30% drop in pixel count, but will give you about a 20% boost in frame rate. Lowering the resolution will make your game look more pixelated, but that might be a necessary sacrifice in order to run the game at an acceptable frame rate.

Lowering the resolution should give you more frames per second, but don't adjust the resolution here. Instead, load your chosen game and look for the graphics settings. Here you can change the resolution and many other settings.

2. Update your graphics card drivers

This is a pretty simple one, and most people will already have this base covered. Running old drivers — the software your video card uses — can be a very large detriment to your FPS, though many people fail to update their drivers to the latest versions.

To update your drivers, you must first figure out which video card you have. Once you know your GPU, download the latest drivers from the company’s website, whether it is Intel, NVIDIA, or AMD. Don’t use the card manufacturers site, such as ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, or Sapphire. Simply find the driver you need, select the appropriate operating system, download the driver and follow the instructions given. Thankfully, most modern graphics cards will automatically prompt you to update your drivers if you have automatic updates turned on.

3. Change the game’s video settings

Just about everything in the game settings, such as shadow quality and draw distance, can affect your FPS. If you’re not getting the performance you’d like, try lower some of the video settings.

Also, NVIDIA’s GeForce Experience and AMD’s Gaming Evolved clients will automatically optimize your game’s video settings based on your hardware.

Adjusting anti-aliasing can be particularly helpful for improving sub-par performance. Anti-aliasing smooths out lines around borders of objects to make them less pixelated, which can take a lot of hardware power. In your games settings, first try disabling anti-aliasing altogether and then slowly turning it up to the point that it works while still leaving you satisfied with your FPS.

The same sentiment goes for most other graphics settings, including draw distance and shadows. Lighting effects, including shadows, tend to be real performance drains, so if you can live with basic effects, you can make the difference between a game being unplayable and playable.

4. Overclock your hardware

This isn't something we recommend for everyone, but if you know what you're doing and understand that there's a risk of breaking your graphics card, CPU, and RAM, you can run them faster. This should give you a few extra fps.

Your first port of call should be the graphics card, since this has the most direct impact on fps. You may find an option to overclock the GPU in the driver itself (launch the interface from the relevant icon in the Windows Notification area). Alternatively, you might need to track down third-party software.

Overclocking the CPU and RAM is easier, as you should find the settings in your PC's BIOS. Simply reboot, press Delete (or whichever key takes you to the BIOS) and look for the performance settings.

5. Install Windows 10 Creators Update

If you have Windows 10, you should make sure to install the Creators Update, released in April 2017. This includes a Game Mode feature, which prioritises your computer's resources on whatever game you're playing, delegating background tasks to specific CPU cores for an overall performance boost.

FreeBooter, Oct 4, 2017
Thema:

Frame drops

1. Frame drops - Similar Threads - Frame drops

2. frame drops to 10 fps for 3 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    frame drops to 10 fps for 3 seconds: Hello, this is my first time making a post here but i really do need help, a long time i got this laptop and it was working perfectly fine till one day i randomly started getting those lag spike in games i used to play on a daily basis, it's not normal lag spikes tho, my game...
  3. frame drops to 10 fps for 3 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    frame drops to 10 fps for 3 seconds: Hello, this is my first time making a post here but i really do need help, a long time i got this laptop and it was working perfectly fine till one day i randomly started getting those lag spike in games i used to play on a daily basis, it's not normal lag spikes tho, my game...
  4. frame drops to 10 fps for 3 seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. sudden frame drops windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sudden frame drops windows 10: hello,I'm having an issue with my pc running games, some games its more noticeable than others, but every once in a while I have a small freeze .5 seconds or even less.the issue is its mainly in a rhythm or platformer game so it's really annoying.please note it's just after a...
  6. sudden frame drops windows 10

sudden frame drops windows 10: hello,I'm having an issue with my pc running games, some games its more noticeable than others, but every once in a while I have a small freeze .5 seconds or even less.the issue is its mainly in a rhythm or platformer game so it's really annoying.please note it's just after a...
  7. sudden frame drops windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. frame rate drop in every game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    frame rate drop in every game: I ran stress test for basically everything of my pc and they are working as they should be in streets test. However, frame rate drop occurs in every game. CPU:I7-7700GPU:GTX 1070Ram: 16GB 2400 MHzI upgraded driver and still. Any idea will be nice. Thank you....
  9. frame rate drop in every game

frame rate drop in every game: I ran stress test for basically everything of my pc and they are working as they should be in streets test. However, frame rate drop occurs in every game. CPU:I7-7700GPU:GTX 1070Ram: 16GB 2400 MHzI upgraded driver and still. Any idea will be nice. Thank you....
  10. Why does my entire computer drop to 1 frame per second?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my entire computer drop to 1 frame per second?: Hello, I am having trouble with my computer as of late. I have a custom-built PC that has been running everything fine for more than 3 years now and was going to be a 4th when as of late I have been having issues with prolonged usage. Basically, after let's say an hour or two...