Windows 10: Free OS's In The Future?

Discus and support Free OS's In The Future? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Maybe a ray of hope for Windows 9? (personally I doubt it... but boy would it be cool...) Microsoft's vision of how PCs work in the post-PC era... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by bigseb, Jan 1, 2014.

1. bigseb Win User

Free OS's In The Future?

Maybe a ray of hope for Windows 9? (personally I doubt it... but boy would it be cool...)

Read the whole story

bigseb, Jan 1, 2014
  2. Lomai Win User

Thanks.
    Now we just have to redefine "free" *Smile

Regards

:)

Lomai, Jan 2, 2014
  3. Reinstalling Free Windows 10 OS

Can I do a hard reset the clone my OS to the SSD using the program that you mentioned? I dont have a bootable drive/Blank CD with me.

RafaelPalma Gil, Jan 2, 2014
  4. Free OS's In The Future?

Reinstalling Free Windows 10 OS

Hi, is it possible to reinstall the free version of windows 10 (do i need to pay to reactivate it?) I'm planning to transfer my os from my hard drive to an SSD.

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC **

RafaelPalma Gil, Jan 2, 2014
  5. Wenda Win User
    Doesn't do a thing for me, I'm afraid.

Wenda, Jan 2, 2014
  6. They can go the google route to make Windows a "free" OS, or they can just reduce the OS license fees.

They're already considering dropping the fees for Windows 8.1 RT and Windows Phone.

Coke Robot, Jan 4, 2014
  7. brummyfan Win User
    Welcome news, Win 8 was £25 and Win 8.1 was Free so why not Free 9 *Dinesh

brummyfan, Jan 16, 2014
  8. labeeman Win User

Free OS's In The Future?

Win 8.1 Is only free to users that had Win 8 already other wise you have to pay.

labeeman, Jan 16, 2014
  9. Doesn't hurt to think about a free-OS from MS, but it is very unlikely they'll want to spend millions of dollars to make an OS and get nothing paid in return.

aritra2116, Jan 16, 2014
  10. bigseb Win User
    The million dollar question: which will come first? A free OS from Microsoft or ReactOS?

bigseb, Jan 16, 2014
  11. Stephanie Win User
    Ive been watching ReactOS and hope to try it when its released in full.

Stephanie, Jan 16, 2014
  12. I have tried ReactOS beta a few months ago on my Vbox. It kept crashing though with a BSOD for weird reasons. Though the project has tried to support Windows apps with using a Wine-like interface, It cannot really IMITATE Windows as the the source code is strictly controlled within Microsoft.

aritra2116, Jan 17, 2014
  13. Free OS's In The Future?

If you'd ask me, ReactOS would come first. Microsoft doesn't really seem to release an OS like that at the the moment though but there is a verrrrrryy little chance that MS might do that. Also, you have to buy 8.1 too if you're using an OS other than just Windows 8

aritra2116, Jan 17, 2014
  14. AC
    AC Win User
    The cost to upgrade to W8 was low, and with the way MS has been turning into Apple, why not? *Tongue

15. bigseb Win User
    You think the problem might lie with trying it as a virtual OS? When I install Windows as huest on a Linux host in VBox I can never get it to run properly. That may be down to me though... *Redfaceops:

bigseb, Jan 17, 2014
Thema:

Free OS's In The Future?

1. Free OS's In The Future? - Similar Threads - Free OS's Future

2. Future Windows 10 Developer OS Request

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Future Windows 10 Developer OS Request: *There is not one directly related topic to this inquiry unfortunately so I will not repost somewhere else*I wanted to start a discussion in hope it will gain traction and get attention of microsoft developers. I work at a robotics company where I use Windows Pro, Windows...
  3. Future Windows 10 Developer OS Request

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Future Windows 10 Developer OS Request: *There is not one directly related topic to this inquiry unfortunately so I will not repost somewhere else*I wanted to start a discussion in hope it will gain traction and get attention of microsoft developers. I work at a robotics company where I use Windows Pro, Windows...
  4. Future Windows 10 Developer OS Request

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Core OS touted as the future of Windows 10 & Xbox

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Core OS touted as the future of Windows 10 & Xbox: Microsoft has been working on a secretive Windows Core OS as the underpinnings of its future iterations of Windows 10. While Microsoft hasn’t officially announced the project, multiple references to Windows Core OS have appeared in official documents and LinkedIn job posts...
  6. Free win 10 upgrade in the future?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Free win 10 upgrade in the future?: I have a PC with Windows7 and would like upgrade to Win 10. Will Microsoft offer free Win 10 upgrade in the future? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-win-10-upgrade-in-the-future/b66abe36-cadd-42f5-89c6-2f3152a74a9b
  7. The Future of Windows: What Are Polaris and Windows Core OS?

in Windows 10 News
    The Future of Windows: What Are Polaris and Windows Core OS?: "Microsoft wants a single unified operating system for all Windows devices, from Windows 10 PCs to the Xbox One, HoloLens, and potential future Windows Phones. But it’s not quite there yet. Today, a Microsoft project called “OneCore” means that ..." Source: The Future of...
  8. Is Windows 10 32-bit going to be discontinued in Future OS

Is Windows 10 32-bit going to be discontinued in Future OS: In the Future Windows 10 will need to all be in 64-bit OS because it says that future games will require 64-bit OS and I would hope that in the future that they will discontinue the 32-bit OS after Windows Vista and XP support ended and I would hope that Windows 7/8.1 and 10...
  9. Preparing for a Future Free Upgrade

Preparing for a Future Free Upgrade: 100 days from today, the free upgrade off ends. If I were to install a free copy of 10 onto a thumb drive (or DVD), and then buy a used 7 or 8 laptop after the free upgrade offer expires, could I install 10 for free from the thumb drive? 47869
  10. The FUTURE OF WINDOWS OS

in Windows 10 Support
    The FUTURE OF WINDOWS OS: What do you think Windows 10 will be like in the future? Will there ever be another Windows? I get the feeling that Windows 10 will not end up being the last Windows we will ever see no matter how many times they update it. I also think Microsoft has got a lot more up its...