Windows 10: Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10

Discus and support Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10 How to Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10 If you have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 5, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10

How to: Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10

How to Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10

If you have storage sense turned on in Storage settings, Windows can automatically free up space by getting rid of files you don't need, like temporary files and stuff in your recycle bin. Or, you can delete them manually.

Starting in Windows 10 build 17063, Microsoft has added a top level link to Storage Settings to free up space now, so you can get at it faster if you need it, rather than having to open Storage Sense first.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18277, you can now get a quick and dynamic storage breakdown of your system! Navigate to the Storage page (Open Start and search Storage settings) to see an actionable list of how your storage is used. Click on the different categories to take action and free up some space.

This tutorial will show you how to free up space now for disks with storage sense in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Storage on the left side, and click/tap on the Configure Storage Sense or run it now link under Storage on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Make any changes you want to the Storage Sense settings. Scroll down to the Free up space now section, check or uncheck Delete previous versions of Windows (if available) for what you want, and click/tap on the Clean now button. (see screenshot below)

*note This will clean up files using the settings you have set on this Configure Storage Sense or run it now page.

4. Your files will not be cleaned up. You can close Settings afterwards if you like. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 5, 2017
  2. Martmcd Win User

What is STORAGE SENSE?

Hi Taffy087

Storage sense automatically removes temporary files etc. when disk space is getting low.

1) yes, as space is getting low on the system disk, although at that stage it hadn't done anything it is turned off by default but was suggesting you turn it on.

2) it is new with windows 10, but if you were not low on space you may not have known about it. It will eventually replace the disk clean-up.

3) you can safely remove everything listed in storage sense.

windows.old contains details of the previous build and is only required if you opt to roll back within 10 days of installing a feature update - if you don't need to roll back or it has been more than 10 days, you can safely delete it.

some info on storage sense

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-...

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-storage-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Martmcd, Oct 26, 2019
  3. What is STORAGE SENSE?

Hello Taffy087,

Storage Sense has been around since Windows 10 build 15014, and updated in build 17720.

Storage Sense basically allows you to automatically delete the specified content in its settings to help free up space on the hard drive. Think of it like an automated Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe).

The tutorials below can help provide more details about Storage Sense if you like:

Turn On or Off Storage Sense Automatically Free Up Space in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Storage Sense in Windows 10

Specify when to Run Storage Sense in Windows 10

Specify when Storage Sense Delete Files in Recycle Bin in Windows 10

Automatically Make OneDrive Files On-Demand Online-only in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Graeme.P Win User

Disk cleanup clears much less space then claimed

Hi Arsenaltastic, thanks for your question. I'm Graeme, a Microsoft Community expert and fellow user.

It's odd that Disk Cleanup doesn't clean the same amount it reports, but there are definitely other effective ways to save disk space. Windows has built-in tools such as Storage Sense to help you manage your disk space effectively.

Here's a link to a Microsoft Support article that lists quite a few ways to save disk space:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/12425/...

Follow the steps listed and you should definitely save some space. Let me know how you go and if you still need help I'll give you further options! Thanks!

Graeme.P, Oct 26, 2019
  5. What did Windows Storage Sense delete?

Hi, Garth

You can not find what was deleted. The only precautious way is having this disabled.

Windows 10 should have Storage sense disabled by default, but you can check and turn off the feature as necessary using these steps:

1.Open Settings.

2.Click on System.

3.Click on Storage.

4.Turn off the Storage sense toggle switch.

Once you've completed the steps, the feature will stop running automatically on your device.

In the event that your device starts running out of space to perform an upgrade or store files, you can re-enable the feature and use these tips to free up space.

Good luck !

HiltonOishi, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Noela Tum Win User
    Low Disk space and no storage

Hi Katie,

There are times when your Windows PC will let you know that it's low on disk space to prevent information loss. When your PC doesn't have enough disk space, it will affect the performance of your PC. Please answer these questions so we can isolate the cause
    of your concern:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • How much disk space is available at this time? Can you provide me a screenshot of the current disk space?
    • What is the current OS Build of your PC? Click the Start button, then type
      winver, and then press Enter to verify this information.

You can also visit this
    article
    on how to free up more drive space to improve the performance of your computer.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Noela Tum, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Free Up Disk Space Now with Storage Sense in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Free Disk Space

2. How to use Storage Sense in Windows 11 to free up disk space

in Windows 10 News
    How to use Storage Sense in Windows 11 to free up disk space: [ATTACH]Storage Sense in Windows 11 is a great way to manage your computer’s storage. When configured, it can automatically empty the Recycle Bin, delete temporary files, and do other things to organize your storage. In this post, we show you how to turn on, configure and use...
  3. I need to free up storage space and I have tried to with storage sense but says it cannot...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need to free up storage space and I have tried to with storage sense but says it cannot...: as above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-free-up-storage-space-and-i-have-tried/6eff840d-a696-4a20-a78d-f2d73beba769
  4. Free up storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free up storage space: Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I just wasn't sure where else to put this. My laptop has barely any storage space left, and that's because 174 gigabytes of it are being used by apps. The problem is, I don't have many apps with large sizes, I just have tons of apps...
  5. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Step 2: Clean up System Restore and Shadow Copies Step 3: Clean up Temporary files Step 4: Check for...
  6. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space From the original post here: https://huntertran.com/2020/11/23/disk-cleanup-to-free-disk-space/ Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Type...
  7. Disk space isn’t freeing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk space isn’t freeing up: Ive had low disc space for two years now but i never got around to fixing it for some reason.I have been trying nonstop to free up disk space ive used disk cleanup ive tried to merge the disks but nothing works please please help i would appreciate it...
  8. Free storage space

Free storage space: I am having trouble clearing storage on my PC disk. My laptop has used 28.9 GB of 29 GB. I deleted apps and files. The use of storage on this laptop is now at 28.3 GB. I want to at least delete 10 GB or clear the disk out. I am trying to restore my iPhone using the iTunes app...
  9. Freeing up Disk Space??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freeing up Disk Space??: My computer is almost new with almost no programs added. I've also gone through and deleted some unwanted programs. Yet it won't let me add anything new because it says I don't have enough disk space. My sister thinks I may have a virus but I can't even install anti-virus...
  10. disk storage: freeing up space

disk storage: freeing up space: Microsoft: In the change how free up space automatically, I had 3.08 GB of space freed up. But it dropped down to 3.06 GB. I managed to free up space and it went up to 3.07 but now, it dropped down to 2.73 GB. What happened there? Is it a bug or is that normal or what is...