Windows 10: Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10

Discus and support Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; If I want to change all objects that have status "Available on this device" but not "Always available on this device" to "Available when online" status... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by lx07, Jun 15, 2017.

1. lx07 Win User

Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10

If I want to change all objects that have status "Available on this device" but not "Always available on this device" to "Available when online" status how is this possible?

Over time you will get more and more stuff with status "Available on this device" either by creating it locally or by using it - which downloads it from OneDrive automatically and sets this status.

There doesn't seem to be a way to make these downloaded files offline only again without going into every single sub-directory and looking. Am I missing something here?

If there is a method or a command to call that could recurse through the whole OneDrive directory it would be very useful.

:)

2. [Q] How to delete camera roll all at once in Windows 10 Mobile?

I just found a solution. I have tested it and it works.

Windows 10 Mobile comes with a built-in app named "Explorer". The Dutch name is "Verkenner".

• Open Explorer
    • Select 'This device'
    • Browse to Pictures
    • Then select '...", and 'Select all'
    • Then you can delete them...

This work perfectly. You now have available storage. Everything is still on OneDrive and your albums are also present. Your photos (Camera Roll) are just only available online.

Although I would prefer there would be a clean-up function that gives users some information about it. Because not many people like to do it this way. And it does not provide you with information whether or not your OneDrive files are deleted, and if you
    albums get unrecognized.

Boudewijn Plomp, Jun 15, 2017
  3. [Q] How to delete camera roll all at once in Windows 10 Mobile?

Microsoft really leave a big black hole at managing OneDrive space vs. local phone storage. I'm losing hours trying to find out how to free local space WITHOUT losing my photo's on OneDrive. I've ended up deleting photos from OneDrive, including deleting
    them from the Recycle Bin on OneDrive. The photos finally disappear from my phone, but free storage space isn't going up. The storage setting for photos is This Device. I need to clear space on my device for the system update. Please help.

Siem Eikelenboom, Jun 15, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You should be able to right click on the OneDrive folder in the navigation pane, and click/tap on Free up space to change everything in the folder back to Online-only.

Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Brink, Jun 15, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    That doesn't work unfortunately - it converts everything to online-only irrespective of whether it was "Available on this device" or "Always available on this device".

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    "Online-only" is technically "Available when online".

If you open the "Online-only" file, it'll then become 'locally-available".

Brink, Jun 16, 2017
  7. LarryTX Win User
    "Free up space" is grayed for all folders, including the base OneDrive folder. Only individual files can be made Available Online.

LarryTX, Jul 30, 2017
  8. Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10

You can use "Free Up Space" on the OneDrive folder itself. That will remove all local copies of all files within one drive.

Edit actually it seems to work on any folder that has local copies of files available...

If your folder does not have any files in it or there are no local files there, the option will be grayed out.

slicendice, Jul 30, 2017
  9. LarryTX Win User
    @slicendice. Apparently I wasn't clear in my original post. When I right click on the OneDrive folder in File Explorer and on any subordinate folders, the option "Free Up Space" is grayed, disabled, not available, unclickable.I am unable to use it.

LarryTX, Jul 30, 2017
  10. Do you have any files already downloaded locally? If not then there is nothing to clean up and the option is grayed out.

slicendice, Jul 30, 2017
  11. LarryTX Win User
    Nooo. I did indeed have many, many files downloaded.Actually, >40Gb of files (or more than 34,000 files) are completely synced between the cloud and the local drive.

LarryTX, Jul 30, 2017
  12. Oh, there must be a BETA BUG then. For me OneDrive works exactly as it was designed to do, except for one thing. Sometimes the file status icons in Explorer don't get updated properly. Shows as syncing though it's already locally available.

slicendice, Jul 31, 2017
  13. lx07 Win User

If that was the design it is a mistake and even from their choice of icons it makes no sense.

If you want to revert the ones the ones that are not explicitly "Always available off line" to online only to free space, you can't.

That is to say, I can't free space of those that downloaded themselves and not free space for the ones I decided to be always available.

It is a shame as it is generally better implemented than the placeholders in Windows 8 - "Online only" files take 0 bytes rather than the 4k each the placeholders took for example.

Perhaps it is just a bug, as you say, but it certainly doesn't currently work the way common sense would indicate.

14. What icon choices? A green icon for locally available, a cloud for available but is currently online only and the sync icon for sync. Makes totally sense to me. If you are referring to the icon where you have an empty folder and it's marked as available offline, then that is correct too, as there is nothing to download. You already see the folder, thus locally available. *Smile

I can make files local, one at a time, multiple files at a time, single folder and multiple folders at a time, or whole OneDrive at once. I can also free up space one file at a time, multiple files at a time, one folder at a time, multiple folders at a time and the whole OneDrive in one blow.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

slicendice, Aug 2, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
    How I understand it you have 3 status.

Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10 [​IMG]

These are (from the top)

1. Online (a file which has not been downloaded). This is a placeholder for stuff just in the cloud.
    2. A file that has been downloaded. This is stuff that you haven't specifically said should be on your device but has downloaded as you looked at a picture or ran a program that downloaded its dependencies.
    3. Always offline. This is stuff you said should always be on your device.

I want to push number 2 off my device as I didn't specifically say I wanted it. Unfortunately you can't do this.

At the moment status 2 and 3 are treated the same when obviously they should not be. Status 3 you asked to be always on your device and status 2 you didn't.

At the moment 2 and 3 are treated the same. This is either a bug or poor design.

Thema:

1. Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Free Space Locally

2. Free space in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Free space in windows 10: Hi, I need to free up space in the unit in windows 10 as I do some link or understandable steps? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-space-in-windows-10/85baaa22-56a0-4e6c-9abc-f2d89fb35cd9
  3. Microsoft on freeing up space for Windows 10 Updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft on freeing up space for Windows 10 Updates: Microsoft published a new support article "Windows 10 update issues on devices with low storage space" yesterday. Released in time for the next feature update for the operating system, Windows 10 version 1809 also known as the October 2018 Update, it highlights that updates...
  4. Onedrive local files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Onedrive local files: All of my Onedrive folders/files are set to "read-only". I went to properties on the Onedrive folder and cleared the checkmark on the read-only box. Applied the change to all floders/files. It appeared to go through all of them, but when I looked at any of the files they...
  5. free up space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    free up space: As expected, my brand new laptop came pre loaded with a bunch of system programs/apps games ect. I have only done online browsing and only downloaded a word document. Besides the fact that I got this laptop for work and need to download some apps to keep me organized, the...
  6. problem with free up disc space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    problem with free up disc space: For the first time today, I used the free up disc space now function with my laptop and had some problems. It looked pretty straight forward and after analysis, I told it to free up the disc space Windows has preselected for me and nothing else. It got about a third of the...
  7. How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I utilize OneDrive for freeing up storage space?: I have a lot of photos on Dropbox and wanted to switch them over to OneDrive, as my Dropbox was full and I have unlimited OneDrive space so I may as well utilize it, but after moving everything over, all the photos are showing up in the OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer....
  8. Whats up with windows 10 eating up free SSD space?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Whats up with windows 10 eating up free SSD space?: Hi guys, quick question. I seem to have 5GB of free space caught up in something and cant seem to delete it. I tried using the windows 10 tool under settings to get rid of it and it wont work - See attached. Whats up with 5 gb of space? On a side note - I have been...
  9. Freeing up space in Windows (C:)

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeing up space in Windows (C:): I am getting errors saying that I do not have any storage left, so I looked and my windows (C) drive is full ( 665MB free of 118 GB) but my DATA (D) drive still has a lot of storage space (876 GB free of 913 GB). I have changed the defaults to now save new things to (D) but I...
  10. OneDrive -- make all files available locally

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive -- make all files available locally: On Win10 RS3, how to make all OneDrive files available locally? The option "make all files available" seems to only make placeholders available. How do you get the real files to be automatically downloaded to the local machine, not just on demand? 105409