Windows 10: Free upgrade license type requirements

Discus and support Free upgrade license type requirements in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello this is my first post so "Hi!". I've read on Wikipedia that the Windows 10 free upgrade will offered to all users of "consumer editions" of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sonar891, Feb 24, 2015.

1. sonar891 Win User

Free upgrade license type requirements

Hello this is my first post so "Hi!".

I've read on Wikipedia that the Windows 10 free upgrade will offered to all users of "consumer editions" of Windows 7 and 8.1. I'm currently at a stage where I need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 but do not have a recovery disc. Does the "consumer edition" bit mean that if I buy a cheap OEM copy of Windows 7 off of EBay I won't be entitled the free upgrade? Am I right in thinking that the same would apply to discs/licences "intended for distribution with a refurbished PC"?

Thanks in advance

:)

sonar891, Feb 24, 2015

2. Regarding the Windows 10 Update Reservation...are OEM licenses also covered? (KB3035583 issue)

Both OEM and retail license qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from an OEM base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry this type of licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

This will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous based qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 24, 2015
  3. windows 10

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from an OEM base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry this type of licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

Full version (Retail):

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

This will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous based qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 24, 2015
  4. Vladimir Win User

It's not clear yet, but I guess that any legal copy of Windows 7/8/8.1 will be eligible.

*Smile

Vladimir, Feb 24, 2015
  5. sonar891 Win User
    Haha I suppose MS is unlikely to be too clear about ways to save money*Wink.
    Thanks for the reply

sonar891, Feb 24, 2015
  6. sgage Win User
    If you currently have a license to run Windows 7, you don't need to buy a copy - you can download one for free from Digital River.

sgage, Feb 24, 2015
  7. sonar891 Win User
    Awesome thanks, you saved me £££!

sonar891, Feb 24, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

You'll be able to upgrade to Win10 from the Windows Store.

BunnyJ, Feb 24, 2015
  9. Dude Win User
    I think the digital river downloads are no longer available.

10. f14tomcat Win User
    Yeah, they got yanked a while back.

f14tomcat, Feb 24, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree.. the only way to get a valid copy is via MS.

BunnyJ, Feb 24, 2015
  12. sonar891 Win User
    Oh well. Thanks for the advice,

sonar891, Feb 24, 2015
  13. f14tomcat Win User

f14tomcat, Feb 24, 2015
  14. sgage Win User
    That's too bad. There's got to be somewhere to get a legitimate iso file if you have a valid license/product key.

sgage, Feb 24, 2015
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    Did that work? You got an ISO down? Burn it to something, quick!*Cool

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Free upgrade license type requirements - Similar Threads - Free upgrade license

2. Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.: Hi Support,I have Windows 10 Professional Operating System license. My Laptop are not supporting for free upgrade of Windows 11 due to Hardware specification & TPM are not met the requirements.My question is that if i buy a laptop with good Hardware configuration without...
  3. Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.: Hi Support,I have Windows 10 Professional Operating System license. My Laptop are not supporting for free upgrade of Windows 11 due to Hardware specification & TPM are not met the requirements.My question is that if i buy a laptop with good Hardware configuration without...
  4. Require a clarification of free upgrade Windows11.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Free upgraded PC activation and license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgraded PC activation and license: I have a old pc that I upgraded to windows 10 during free upgrade period. If I give my pc to a friend or family member, will the windows 10 license still be valid as it is digitally linked to my Microsoft account?...
  6. Find Digital License for Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Find Digital License for Windows 10 Free Upgrade: I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home had Windows 7 before in 2016, directly from Microsoft. Recently my PC started having issues with the Windows update, then this weekend I noticed an error message in Settings, saying "Windows is not activated." I ran the...
  7. Type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine

Type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine: What type of windows licenses required for permanent Virtual Machine? For example I want to run a windows 10 enterprise virtual machine, it has an expiration date. I do not want to redownload the file after expiration date due to my data cap. What kind of license do I...
  8. Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.

Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.: I have an old machine that was originally running Windows 7 Pro(Retail) and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro through the free upgrade process. I believe I tied it to an MS Account with my email, but cannot remember. I logged onto my account from another computer and see my...
  9. Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question

Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question: I have a few questions relating to the license terms for the Free Windows 10 Upgrade from 7. 1) Does the license require that Window 7 be replaced on the computer with Windows 10? For example, can I create an image of my existing Win 7 system, recover it to a second hard...
  10. Free Windows 10 upgrade a permanent license?

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Windows 10 upgrade a permanent license?: Is it known whether the serial of an upgraded Windows 7 or 8 will become affiliated with MS as being a Windows 10 serial, so that the license owner may reinstall Windows 10 after a format or machine-license transfer, including beyond the 1-year period for free Windows 10...