Windows 10: Free upgrade question

Discus and support Free upgrade question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have been reading the free upgrade FAQ on here and stuff on other sites but still unsure about one point. Once my PC has downloaded the files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MikeBravo, Feb 7, 2016.

1. MikeBravo Win User

Free upgrade question

Hi, I have been reading the free upgrade FAQ on here and stuff on other sites but still unsure about one point.
    Once my PC has downloaded the files for doing the free upgrade do I have to perform the upgrade within the first year since Win 10 launch or can I do it at a later date.
    I suppose I will have to do it sometime but from what I have seen on friends PC's I don't see any great improvements over Win 8.1 and there are a couple of things I really don't like, cortana for one.

:)

MikeBravo, Feb 7, 2016

2. Free Upgrade Question

Andre Da Costa, Feb 7, 2016
  3. Free Upgrade Question

In order to qualify as a Free Update I'm to assume its going to write over the existing copy of whatever windows variation I have. From there would it be possible to install 8.1 on another partition / hdd and dual boot the system ? Feels like I just bought
    the dam thing, or is X aka 10 going to negatively tweak the MBR once again.

Concerned. ______

X__________, Feb 7, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Free upgrade question

You have to upgrade in first year. You can revert to old os and reinstall 10 at any time thereafter.

Good idea to make image backup of current install.

cereberus, Feb 7, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just to clarify - the free upgrade is only for one year from the day it was released by Microsoft which was July 29. 2015 - not one year from when you download it.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  6. MikeBravo Win User
    Thanks for clarifying that.
    I assume there is no point in downloading the upgrade yet then as they keep updating it.

MikeBravo, Feb 7, 2016
  7. MS, quite a while ago, said that Win10 was going to be a perpetual "beta". So, if you're waiting for it to stop changing, then you're never going to upgrade to it.

You're best option is to make an image backup of your current install (recommend using Macrium Reflect) and do the upgrade now.

Mark Phelps, Feb 7, 2016
  8. MikeBravo Win User

Free upgrade question

I was aware of the continual updating of Win 10 which is why I thought it would be better to leave downloading a copy as long as possible.
    I don't mind reinstalling the OS to freshen things up a bit.

MikeBravo, Feb 7, 2016
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Once you've installed and activate Win 10, you can revert to your old OS as previously mentioned or leave it at Win 10.
    You can get the latest ISO files as they are release so if you ever reinstall Win 10 you will have the latest version.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Free upgrade question

1. Free upgrade question - Similar Threads - Free upgrade question

2. free upgrade??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free upgrade??: hi, i am considering upgrading to win 10 form my win 8. my pc meets requirements, but im wondering, if it will be free??.thank you fo reply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-upgrade/f4e0762c-6cfd-4881-8b5e-f4824d403877
  3. Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.: I have an old machine that was originally running Windows 7 Pro(Retail) and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro through the free upgrade process. I believe I tied it to an MS Account with my email, but cannot remember. I logged onto my account from another computer and see my...
  4. Malwarebytes (free) Question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malwarebytes (free) Question: I run occasional manual scans with Malewarebytes (free version). While on the Web, I got a pop up today from Malwarebytes telling me it had caught one malware. It found a Trojan (DNS changer) on my computer and I immediately quarantined it. I thought the free version had to...
  5. Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question

Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question: I have a few questions relating to the license terms for the Free Windows 10 Upgrade from 7. 1) Does the license require that Window 7 be replaced on the computer with Windows 10? For example, can I create an image of my existing Win 7 system, recover it to a second hard...
  6. technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question

technet activations & free Win 10 upgrade question: I used to subscribe to Technet before Microsoft discontinued the program. I have a legal, retail, Windows 7 Premium package that was an upgrade to Vista. I just used one of my Technet Windows 7 Ultimate keys that I had saved from my Technet subscription to upgrade...
  7. Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question

Free upgrade to Windows 10 installation question: To introduce myself, I am a 75 year old, grey haired wrinkly with a little computer knowledge but not too much. Please forgive me if this question seems trivial to some of you. Like many of you, I have the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 and, I intend to do it once...
  8. Frequently Asked Questions about the WIndows 10 Free upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Frequently Asked Questions about the WIndows 10 Free upgrade: NOTE: I have updated this post to include the most recent information as of 8/8/15. There has been a lot of misinformation, poorly communicated information, interpretation of information, re-interpretation of information, reading between the lines, reporting of said...
  9. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215
  10. Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered: Here are a few more answers to some nagging questions about Windows 10 upgrades and activation in the post-Anniversary-Update era. Phasing out the year-long free Windows 10 upgrade promotion is, no doubt, a complicated process. But getting answers about how this process...