Windows 10: Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?

Discus and support Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by escaner, Feb 25, 2016.

1. escaner Win User

Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?

I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key.
    So, if I do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 and then go back to W7, will I keep the free upgrade on this PC if I install W10 after the summer 2016 deadline? Or going back to W7 will disable the free upgrade to W10?

Thank you.

:)

escaner, Feb 25, 2016
  2. JohnBowes Win User

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Free Upgrade

I have already upgraded my W7 PC to W10 as part of the Insiders program. The Insiders program does not qualify for the free upgrade! Do I need to revert back to W7 in order to get the free upgrade, or will my W7 license key be sufficient to make things
    work?

JohnBowes, Feb 25, 2016
  3. Win 10 back to 7 then back to 10...Possible??

I did the free upgrade from W7 to W10 a few days ago. I know I can go back to 7 during a 30 day period. If I do so can I then still reinstall the W10 after?

Bob Smithers, Feb 25, 2016
  4. Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?

Technically, your license has been converted to Windows 10 license and thus you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free past the deadline.
    I saw many questions regarding this on Microsoft Answers too but this remains a mystery as of now.

Sumit Dhiman, Feb 25, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Once you upgrade to Windows 10 you can revert to old OS and reinstall at any time in future on same pc/mobo. You can even clean install - no need to reupgrade, or even enter a key.

cereberus, Feb 25, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    When a user upgrades to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1 a digital entitlement for Windows 10 gets generated and stored on Microsoft activation servers based upon the unique hardware ID calculated by Windows. Nothing happens to the Windows 7/8/8.1 license or product key.

1. The user can go back to Windows 7/8/8.1 any time they choose to.
    2. Once the digital entitlement is stored on Microsoft Activation servers it can be retrieved at any time by Windows 10 over the internet by means of the unique hardware ID (which is generated 99% from the motherboard serial number/configuration). A product key is not required to retrieve the digital entitlement. Thus the user can go back to Windows 10 at any time they choose to and a Windows 10 product key is not required.
    3. What will happen in July 2016 when the free upgrade offer expires is that Microsoft will stop allowing new digital entitlements to be granted/stored on the Microsoft Activation servers for free - however the existing digital entitlements already saved will be unaffected. Thus the free upgrade expiration will not affect those that upgraded prior to end of July 2016 even if they do a clean install on the same computer - same computer (motherboard) = same hardware ID = matching digital entitlement.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2016
  7. escaner Win User
    Thank's a lot guys for the help.

escaner, Feb 26, 2016
  8. meebers Win User

I am guessing that I cannot check Microsoft Activation servers for my entitlement after trying W10 on this W7 machine?

meebers, Feb 29, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Only if you have Windows 10 currently installed.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade? - Similar Threads - Free upgrade W10

2. Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?: I see the last posts in the upgrade forum were in 2020. Is the upgrade still available? Thanks 175774
  3. Upgrade To W10....For Free

Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  4. Upgrade To W10....For Free

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  5. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  6. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  7. Urge Cost-free Upgrade to W10

Urge Cost-free Upgrade to W10: Due to a query in another MS Tech Forum, this may well be worth a mention. Some people may not be aware of this or their understanding may be not quite accurate. Windows 7 & 8 machines CAN be upgraded to Windows 10 at no cost. The idea that the only way is to purchase a...
  8. Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?: Hi there, I have a small net-top running Win7, which is primarily used as a WMC DVR/TV system in my living room. As is well known, WMC is not part of W10, and isn't coming back. I'd like to upgrade to W10 on this machine to try out some other options that are out there....
  9. If I upgrade to w10 from w7 home will I get the dvd player free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I upgrade to w10 from w7 home will I get the dvd player free?: If I upgrade to windows 10 from 7 will I get the dvd player free? How to play DVDs in Windows 10 for free | PCWorld If you are upgrading from a machine with Windows Media Center—no matter whether it’s Windows 7 or Windows 8.1—you should see a modern UI app on your...
  10. Free W10 upgrade

Free W10 upgrade: Like I mentioned earlier my Acer I did an upgrade a bit over two weeks ago and the upgrade worked using my 7Starter keys and was upgraded to Home and I'm not talking out of my @$$. I didn't like how much slower it was when it was appified so I ripped it out by the roots and...