Windows 10: Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Will Continue Past July 29

Discus and support Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Will Continue Past July 29 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; After I asked about whether the free upgrade for Windows 10 Mobile would end on July 29 as it is for Windows 10 for PCs, Microsoft’s Dona Sarkar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Will Continue Past July 29

Read more: Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Will Continue Past July 29 - Thurrott.com

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

Brink, Jul 7, 2016
  2. RWOne Win User

MS's "Strategy" with mobile - still dish it out for free and hope they get to that .001% user base. *Smile

:)

RWOne, Jul 7, 2016
  3. Vasudev Win User
    Postphoning the download

You can avail this free upgrade offer anytime between July 29, 2015 and July 29, 2016.

"Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device."

Vasudev, Jul 7, 2016
  4. Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Will Continue Past July 29

windows 10 upgrade

I have attempted so many times over the past few months to upgrade to windows 10...My computer does not complete the task. We are now at July 30, the end date was July 29.....Is it possible to still access the free upgrade and how?

cubankeylime, Jul 7, 2016
  5. ARC1020 Win User
    Has the upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile even started yet?

I can't remember hearing about it being made available to everyone through Windows Update, the last I heard people had to download an app from the store in order to upgrade, which ordinary people won't even know about.

ARC1020, Jul 7, 2016
  6. RWOne Win User
    I don't believe so though I'm biased in mobile - Android through and through, sorry *Smile

(Though I have a Lumina 900 but it cant get 10, used a hack to get 8 onto it, used as a media device.)

RWOne, Jul 7, 2016
  7. Phone Man Win User
    There is an App on the Phone store called Upgrade Advisor that checks to see if your phone is eligible for W10. My Icon was not in the original update list but it now says it is and MS is waiting on Verizon to OK the upgrade.

Jim *Cool

I just ran the Upgrade Advisor on my Icon and I am now upgrading. *Thumbs

Phone Man, Jul 7, 2016
  8. ARC1020 Win User

Microsoft have themselves to blame by only caring about the US market and giving up just because they couldn't make it work in the US. They seemed to forget that 96% of the world's population aren't American.

At the beginning of 2015, some European countries for example had a 13% Windows phone market share, compared to 18% for IOS, which gave them a fighting chance, but yet in the last 18 months they've just thrown that all away and stopped trying. They really can't afford to give up because in 10-15 years desktop's will be replaced with mobile devices that can just be connected to mice/keyboards/monitors when required.

ARC1020, Jul 7, 2016
  9. RWOne Win User
    I wholeheartedly agree with the above.

RWOne, Jul 7, 2016
  10. They should just forget all the mobile phone nonsense. I'm in UK and personally I don't know a single person through my work, friends or family that has a windows based mobile device. 95% are iOS devices and the rest android. MS should totally focus on what they 'were' good at and that is desktop OS. I believe there is a market for desktop or large screen laptops as I could never imagine myself gaming (plus wanting to use gaming peripherals) or working on office documents on anything other than a big screen desktop monitor or laptop minimum 17". Plus businesses aren't going to dig tablet devices in an office environment. Unfortunately Windows 8 and 10 in my eyes have suffered because of this attempt to be mobile centric. all this 'app' and metro stuff really doesn't suit a serious desktop OS. Let apple have the phone market and MS dominate the OS market - I'm not a huge fan of the direction Windows has gone but having also got a mac recently I'll take Windows over Mac OS anyday, their OS is a shocker to use and a poor relation to it's iOS cousin. I just wish MS would play to it's strengths

Scottyboy99, Jul 7, 2016
  11. ARC1020 Win User
    No, that's what people don't seem to realise, as they only think in todays terms. Desktop is going to be as relevant in 10-15 years as CRT monitors are today. If they "let Apple have the phone market" Windows will cease to exist in the future. It will be game over. Apple and Google aren't going to stand still and twiddle their thumbs, their phones will evolve to replace the desktop PC in it's entirety and with enough market share will command pretty much all the software developers attention too, like we're already starting to see.

Everything you can do on your desktop today will be possible on a phone in the future. You can already connect your phone to keyboard, mouse, large monitor, etc. today (well with a Windows Phone) and also do most things on your phone that you can do on your PC. So for quite a few people they could already replace their PC with a phone, if they wanted to, when you look at how they use their PC's. I.E Watch videos, listen to music, use the internet, messaging/video-calling, browse photos, maybe some photo edits, type a few documents/spreadsheets, etc.

There's no reason why as phones get more powerful that you won't be able to use fully fledged desktop software on a phone and have your phone automatically connect wirelessly to a mouse/keyboard/large monitor, or pretty much any other screen/input device. You can more-or-less already do that today, but the bottleneck is compute power, but there would be nothing stopping a phone manufacturer allowing a phone to be plugged into a 'Razor Core' type dock to hand off the compute power for more CPU/GPU intensive software or games when at home. We're already seeing that happening today with devices like Intel's Skull Canyon via a Thunderbolt 3 USB 3.1 port. This technology is already available and will evolve to become better and cheaper over time too, maybe even wireless (speeds permitting). But, I think long term a cloud server will take care of all compute power rather than it being done on a local device and done over the internet once internet coverage/speed/cost is greatly improved. The internet will become extremely dependable much like how we use electricity today compared to how it used to be. When that happens, then the possibilities will be endless. Again, the technology already exists today to allow a cloud server to handle compute power over the internet, as demonstrated in this video with an Xbox.

I do not know which direction Apple/Google/Microsoft will take, but don't be under any illusions that Apple and Google aren't capable of replacing the PC, they are going to try to do just that. No matter how impossible it seems for technology to keep moving, it always does and without fail. So short term a phone that can also connect to a 'razor core' type dock with mouse, keyboard, game controller, big monitor. Long term, imagine a portable box (such as a phone, or pocket pack connected to something like Google Glasses) that is permanently connected to cheap superfast internet, with unlimited data, combined with unlimited computational power as it uses a cloud server to handle all the heavy stuff. A box that can connect wirelessly and automatically to pretty much any screen & input device. You get in your car/taxi for example, the box connects to the car screen. You go into your house or work, the box connects automatically to your TV or computer monitor/mouse/keyboard/game controller, all you need to do is have the box somewhere in the vicinity, walk up to the screen you want to use and it automatically recognises/authenticates you.

This is a pretty serious time for Microsoft and is why Microsoft needs to not just make itself relevant in the mobile space, but hit it full on with everything it has, because once those desktop PC's start disappearing in favour of people using mobile devices for everything, Microsoft will be in trouble unless they are a part of it. I for one, don't want to see Microsoft become irrelevant as I like both Windows and my Windows Phone.

ARC1020, Jul 7, 2016
  12. Phone Man Win User
    Upgrade completed on my Icon, will do wife's next week. Now have Windows Mobile 1511 Build 10.0.10586.420 and had 28 App updates.
    Lookin good so far. Just have to get use to all the changes in the Apps and the OS.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jul 7, 2016
  13. Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Will Continue Past July 29

Good counter argument. When you put it like that I guess I agree. On a personal level I do still prefer the old days of dedicated desktop OS and phones being separate and I just think Windows, for what I want it to be, has suffered - I sure find the whole 'store' and apps stuff (mainly the native ones) buggy - maybe if it wasn't so immature an OS and buggy I would be more receptive to it. But overal am just not keen on the hybrid OS we have and much preferred Windows 7. But it's happening whether we like it or not although I can see businesses clinging to Windows 7 for years to come. Unfortunately the over reliance on cloud connectivity is another frustration. MS and Apple assume everyone is connected 24/7. Even in London there are grey areas of cellular coverage where my phone (albeit iOS) becomes next to useless - and of course we become heavily reliant on said servers working all the time.

i guess I'm old school, I don't like cloud storage, rather use local storage whether it be my internal HD or my NAS drives and rather have my phone and computer as very separate entities. Some people embrace change but there are a great many, I think, that don't and I believe apple and MS push change for the sake of change too much. It's not going to happen but if MS focuses purely on desktop OS it would be better but as you rightly point out they can't afford to.

Scottyboy99, Jul 7, 2016
  14. Winuser Win User
    I'm very happy with my Lumia 640XL running Windows 10. I hope Widows 10 mobile continues and more phones become available. IMHO it's a shame MS didn't get into the phone market earlier. *Smile

Winuser, Jul 8, 2016
  15. Isn't it up to the service provider (who sold you the phone and package), whether a phone gets updated or not? I don't own a dumb phone, let alone a smart phone, so I'm a noob where that is concerned.

alphanumeric, Jul 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Will Continue Past July 29 - Similar Threads - Free Upgrade Mobile

2. Will GenuineTicket.xml work after July 29?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will GenuineTicket.xml work after July 29?: Hello, Quick question. Does anyone know if I run gatherosstate today and create a GenuineTicket.xml file, can I perform a clean install on my Windows 7 computer AFTER July 29? My reasons are complicated, but I just need to know if anyone knows for sure if this will work....
  3. future questions about getting a free upgrade after 29 July

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    future questions about getting a free upgrade after 29 July: As far as I know, the free upgrade to 10 is going away in a few hours. I speculate that there will be at least a few posts asking how to get the free upgrade after the offer's expiration. (That may include some who do an upgrade through means other than Windows Update,...
  4. How shall users upgrade to free Windows 10 after July 29, 2016?

How shall users upgrade to free Windows 10 after July 29, 2016?: How shall users upgrade to free Windows 10 after July 29, 2016 if they need to reinstall OS? What should they prepare for reinstallation of Windows 10 in the future, creating a copy or what else? Thank you for your answer. 54729
  5. How to get Windows 10 after July 29

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get Windows 10 after July 29: I have Windows 8.1 and am not upgrading to Windows 10 for awhile to see how things go. I noticed today July 29th that the upgrade icon in my taskbar disappeared. So when I decide to upgrade will I need to go to Windows Update or Windows Store ? 9424
  6. what happens after 29 July

what happens after 29 July: What happens after 29 July 2016 if you have to (or just want to) reformat a machine that either had windows 8 preinstalled (the case with my laptop) or had an OEM windows 7 home premium disc (my desktop). Out of curiosity could I reformat and revert to windows 7 on the...
  7. What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

in Windows 10 News
    What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?: sdfsdfasdf [This article has been significantly revised and updated since its original publication. in January 2016] Microsoft's ambitious plan to get Windows 10 running on a billion devices within the next few years depends to a large extent on the success of its...
  8. Windows 10 Release Date July 29

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Release Date July 29: On July 29, you can get Windows 10 for PCs and tablets by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer, or on a new Windows 10 PC from your favorite retailer. If you purchase a new Windows 8.1 device between now and then, the Windows 10 upgrade will be available to you and many...
  9. 29 July events

in Windows 10 News
    29 July events: Check the MS Facebook page for launch events JUL 29 Windows 10 Launch Event with NHL Selke Trophy Winner Patrice Bergeron Microsoft Store The Shops at Prudential Center in Boston, Massachusetts 7:00am in EDT -27 people are going Windows 10 Launch Event with World...
  10. Windows 10: What to expect on July 29

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: What to expect on July 29: With the launch of Windows 10 less than a week away, here’s what you can expect to find when the operating system launches on July 29. It’s not quite as simple as “Windows 10 will be available that day.” Windows Insiders (read: Windows 10 preview testers) will get first...