Windows 10: Free W10 upgrade

Discus and support Free W10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Like I mentioned earlier my Acer I did an upgrade a bit over two weeks ago and the upgrade worked using my 7Starter keys and was upgraded to Home and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hennmann, Apr 4, 2018.

1. hennmann Win User

Free W10 upgrade

Like I mentioned earlier my Acer I did an upgrade a bit over two weeks ago and the upgrade worked using my 7Starter keys and was upgraded to Home and I'm not talking out of my @$$. I didn't like how much slower it was when it was appified so I ripped it out by the roots and reinstalled Win7 Starter and spent every bit of 3 days with the perpetual update. Now I have Win10 Pro on a partition BECAUSE Microshaft was advertising Win10S a supposed stripped down version (or does the S mean sloth?) so having an ISO consisting of 32/64 bit Home,Pro,education, etc. with the purchased Keys I reinstalled Pro because the stipulation was you had to have Pro or Education to downgrade?upgrade? so this is why I installed Pro sloth. As it turned out it went through the motions for this so called updowngrade and all it did after much time was update the Pro to a sweeter tasting lemon latest Pro. Off to NLite

hennmann, Apr 4, 2018
  2. boyboyds Win User

Hi,

I read that we can still install W10 over W7 for free using W7 key. I installed W10 from the same ISO file I used successfully many times in 2017, but this time W7 OA key was not recognized.

Thoughts.....?

Thanks,
    -BBDS

:)

boyboyds, Apr 5, 2018
  3. Can I install W10 free upgrade to a separate partition on a W7 (legal) machine so I can have dual boot option ?

*O.T.> W10 Free upgrade

Can I install W10 free upgrade to a separate partition on a W7 (legal) machine so I can have dual boot option ?

Or does W10 Free upgrade overwrite W7 during installation ?

TIA

Flopy_Drive, Apr 5, 2018
  4. Free W10 upgrade

'Get Windows 10′ app shows:

The line through $119 implies that you are eligible for the free upgrade to W10, so it won't cost $119.

If you're not eligible for the free upgrade to W10, the price will be $119 to upgrade.

Patrick Barker, Apr 5, 2018
  5. AddRAM Win User
    Maybe it`s because you`re using an older version W10 installer.

Maybe it`s because W10 no longer supports using a Windows 7 or 8 key.

But I think it still will.

I would wait a few more days until the Spring Creators Update is out, then download the ISO and create an installer and see if it will accept a W7 key.

Remember, if you have a Home Premium W7 key you have to install W10 Home, if you have a W7 Pro key you have to install W10 Pro.

What is your W7 key for ?

AddRAM, Apr 5, 2018
  6. boyboyds Win User
    Yes, the installer may be older, but my PC got updated to Version 1709, still does not accept the W7 key.

Message: We can't activate Windows on this device because previous version of Windows was not activated prior to upgrading to W10. Go to the Store to buy genuine Windows.

This laptop was given to me, could it possibly be that W7 was not activated on it, looks like a legitimate sticker on the back and the person who gave it to me was using it.

Strange.

I can go back and install W7, make sure it is activated and then reinstall W10.

Thoughts....?

-BBDS

boyboyds, Apr 5, 2018
  7. Yes, install W7 and make sure it's activated. Once verified, you can upgrade to W10. The license will transfer and no keys are needed. When installing/upgrading Windows 10, I highly recommend skipping the "Use Microsoft account to sign in to his PC" and rather use a local account. This makes managing the system a lot easier.

Once you have Windows 10 installed and activated, connect it to an MS account by opening any Microsoft App and answering YES when Windows asks if you want to let all Apps use the account. Once all this is done the Activation status will change to "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

Free W10 upgrade [​IMG]

If you ever need to clean install the PC, now, because your MS account contains a digital license, you won't have to enter any keys anywhere ever again. Just connect the PC to your MS account and it will automagically activate.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  8. AddRAM Win User

Free W10 upgrade

Ya, now you can do a clean install if you want, I would. *Smile

Or just wait a few more days until you can download the Spring Creators Update Iso and create an installer and clean install that.

You should start seeing the Spring Creators Update here in about 4 more days.

Download Windows 10

AddRAM, Apr 5, 2018
  9. Superfly Win User
    Thought #1:
    Align the editions (like-4-like)

Thought #2:
    Have you used the COA key on multiple PC''s - in which case it will be blocked...."many times in 2017" ??

Thought #3:
    Still thinking...

Superfly, Apr 6, 2018
  10. AddRAM Win User
    Does anyone actually know for sure if Windows 10 will accept a W7 or W8 key to activate ?

I have no reason to find out, so... *Huh

AddRAM, Apr 6, 2018
  11. Last time I used a W7 key for W10 activation was December 12. 2017 and it worked flawlessly.

slicendice, Apr 6, 2018
  12. I used my activated Windows 7 (older pc with 7 on it, not the key during win10 install) to install Windows 10 on an upgrade March 30th this year. It activated. So I made the USB installer with the MCT, then wiped and installed it clean on said PC. Activated on its own with digital license to a MS account I made during the upgrade. I am using it now to watch an eagle nest live stream *Tongue

Access Denied, Apr 6, 2018
  13. Superfly Win User

Free W10 upgrade

Yup.. (they need a billion.... 'till then ho-hum)

Superfly, Apr 6, 2018
  14. AddRAM Win User
    Ha, did you see the Eagle jump on to the pitchers shoulder before the Mariners/Twins home opener ?

Bald eagle lands on Seattle Mariners pitcher James Paxton during national anthem | Lexington Herald Leader

They had an Eagle fly in before the beginning of a race a few weeks back, that was awesome. *Smile

AddRAM, Apr 6, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
Thema:

Free W10 upgrade

1. Free W10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Free W10 upgrade

2. W10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Upgrade: W10 Upgrade Failures: Upgrades 0xc fail every time and 20H2 always gets stuck at 61%. When I try the W Upgrade Assistant I get a message that it cannot instal as the automatic upgrade stuck at 61% is running.I have tried a few online suggestions but nothing seems to...
  3. W10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 Upgrade: W10 Upgrade Failures: Upgrades 0xc fail every time and 20H2 always gets stuck at 61%. When I try the W Upgrade Assistant I get a message that it cannot instal as the automatic upgrade stuck at 61% is running.I have tried a few online suggestions but nothing seems to...
  4. Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?

Is the free upgrade from W7 to W10 still in place?: I see the last posts in the upgrade forum were in 2020. Is the upgrade still available? Thanks 175774
  5. Upgrade To W10....For Free

Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  6. Upgrade To W10....For Free

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade To W10....For Free: It may be a dumb question, but I have recently read that you can still upgrade from W7 to W10, for FREE?.....is this correct, despite the free upgrade supposedly ending about four years ago......I have an old laptop that was last used about TEN years ago, and am trying to...
  7. FREE VPN for W10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FREE VPN for W10?: I am just starting to give some thought to using a VPN with my main browser, Edge. I realise free ones will have various limitations but want to try some first, a promising looking example being WINDSCRIBE. I have tried ChrisPC VPN but without success (it is a sort of...
  8. Urge Cost-free Upgrade to W10

Urge Cost-free Upgrade to W10: Due to a query in another MS Tech Forum, this may well be worth a mention. Some people may not be aware of this or their understanding may be not quite accurate. Windows 7 & 8 machines CAN be upgraded to Windows 10 at no cost. The idea that the only way is to purchase a...
  9. Is it possible to still upgrade to W10 for free?

Is it possible to still upgrade to W10 for free?: Hi all - I've been reading a few articles of recent vintage that claim if I have a valid Windows 7 x64 Product Key, I can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro x64 for free. Seems that the 1809 MCT doesn't work anymore for this purpose, so I wanted to find the real truth among...
  10. Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?: I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key. So, if I do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 and then go back to W7, will I keep the free upgrade on this PC if I install W10...