Windows 10: Freeze with mouse activity

Discus and support Freeze with mouse activity in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am new to windows 10 and something is happening I don't understand. I just built this rig yesterday and it has been freezing up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Furall, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Furall Win User

Freeze with mouse activity

Hello everyone, I am new to windows 10 and something is happening I don't understand. I just built this rig yesterday and it has been freezing up often. I still have mouse control but lose everything else. I have reinstalled the os 3 times and all my drivers are up to date. I have no other software installed. I pulled one ram stick and still doing it. I posted all my info but not sure it saved until I post. I checked the event log and reliability history. They just say windows was shut down unexpectedly. if I'm rambling I'm sorry I have been up most of the night messing with this. since midnight it has 23 crashes.

:)

Furall, Jan 14, 2018
  2. Fleapower Win User

strange mouse cursor pause

I'm having a strange mouse cursor pausing problem. At some point during the login process, the mouse cursor will freeze and become unresponsive for about a quarter of a second and continue to freeze/unfreeze every 2 seconds or so. Here are the details:

- Lenovo Twist S230U with latest BIOS (updated after I encountered this mouse problem), Windows 10, wireless Logitech M315 mouse with USB dongle

- Noticed the problem immediately after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I could not correct it so I did a clean install of Windows 10. Seemed to fix the problem. However, after a couple of days and some Windows 10 updates, the problem returned.

- Does not occur in Safe Mode.

- Tried disabling all startup programs (Task Manager -> Startup).

- When I have Task Manager or Event Viewer open and have either as the active window, the problem goes away, only to return when I go to another program or desktop.

- When I have the Task Manager open and visible, but not the active app, the mouse will freeze/unfreeze at the same rate the statistics are updating in the Task Manager Processes tab. The mouse will freeze just prior to the statistics being updated and
    then unfreeze. When I click on the Task Manager and make it the focused/active window, the mouse pausing stops.

- I removed the mouse dongle and rebooted, but the touchpad does the same thing. However, when I plug in the dongle the problem goes away, or if I boot with the dongle in the USB and then pull it out, the touchpad works. When I put the dongle back in,
    the mouse works fine, as well. This will last for awhile, but then the problem resurfaces.

I can work around the problem by cycling the mouse dongle every time the problem occurs, but I'd prefer to fix the problem. Thanks!

Fleapower, Jan 14, 2018
  3. Mouse freezes on Windows 10.

I have not had any more mouse or keyboard freeze, since I updated my BIOS for Windows 10, and switched my Bluetooth dongle from a USB 3.0 port to a USB 2.0 port. I believe the key factor/problem is a conflict with the Bluetooth dongle for my Logitech keyboard
    and mouse. The Bluetooth dongle seems to have a conflict with the 3.0 USB port. After switching to the 2.0 USB port, I have not had a single freeze. This dongle/USB port conflict could be an additional cause for the mouse and keyboard freeze. (Someone
    else will have to confirm that, since I do not believe that I have OneDrive Business.)

I do have OneDrive active on my PC. Let me add that since I don't think I have OneDrive Business, it's not causing the freeze on my PC. (Additional Note: I do have OneDrive on my PC, and it is active.)

If OneDrive is a contributing factor, I will discontinue it if or whenever my mouse or keyboard freezes again. For now, I do not believe use of OneDrive has caused any kind of a conflict. (I am providing this additional OneDrive statement so others can
    consider it for their own scenario.)

My problem started before I purchased Office 360. That is also when I received, and started to use the free OneDrive online storage.

I hope this information helps others. Good luck.

David

DavidHall1954, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Tony K Win User

Hello, @Furall. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

Is it certain apps that freeze or is it everything, except mouse of course? Does the keyboard work as well during freezes?

Tony K, Jan 14, 2018
  5. Furall Win User
    Hey Tony, thanks for the reply. It happens doing anything. Nothing seems to trigger it. Keyboard does not work only the mouse. It has happened several times coming off the screensaver. Not sure that it's relevant just something I noticed.

Furall, Jan 14, 2018
  6. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. Just coming off the screensaver? No other time? How about hold WinKey + L then push any key? Freeze then?

Any *Warning in Device Manager?

Tony K, Jan 14, 2018
  7. Furall Win User
    Coming off screensaver has been the only repeatable scenario. Not every time but enough for me take note. Everything is happy in device manager and it does not lock up using wk+l. I just wish I could pin it down to hardware or software related. I am using a Samsung M.2 drive as well and have read a few stories about those causing some issue. I appreciate your help.

Furall, Jan 14, 2018
  8. Tony K Win User

WinKey > Type > reliability history > Enter. Those are collective Events. What do they point to?

Tony K, Jan 14, 2018
  9. Furall Win User
    Windows was not properly shut down. No other info. Not getting any kind of error or stop message just freezing and have to hard reset.

Furall, Jan 14, 2018
  10. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Jan 14, 2018
  11. Furall Win User
    I know. Thanks for the help. I will give other area a shot.

Furall, Jan 14, 2018
  12. Furall Win User
    I don't have a dump file to post as its never gave me a BSOD. They seem to be pretty serious about it over there lol.

Furall, Jan 14, 2018
  13. Tony K Win User

Yes they are. Hmm. Are you sure you have everything matched for the MoBo? Everything seated ok?

Install in UEFI BIOS mode? Everything set in there ok?

Tony K, Jan 14, 2018
  14. Tony K Win User
    Try opening Settings app > Update & security > Troubleshoot > Hardware and devices perhaps? Power setting? Try whatever you think.

Trouble is nothing is giving you an event besides that shutdown one, which is common BTW.

Tony K, Jan 14, 2018
  15. Furall Win User
    Yup. This has me stumped. Usually there is a trail to follow. It not in this case

Furall, Jan 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Freeze with mouse activity - Similar Threads - Freeze mouse activity

2. Mouse Freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mouse Freezes: Windows 10.0.222.631 Build 22631Acer Laptop Nitro 5Intermittent mouse freezing up. Can restart only after placing in Sleep mode and waking..Tried removing mouse driver and restarting. Unable to find anything in Event Viewer where this occured/Thanks...
  3. mouse freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mouse freezes: The mouse freezes for a few seconds, but the actions when disconnected are remembered and when connected, they are processed on the screen. I reinstalled Windows, updated the drivers, nothing helps, the mouse works on other systems....
  4. Mouse Freezes

Mouse Freezes: Hi - my mouse freezes immediately the computer loads its icons on the screen. This means that the computer is basically useless as cannot try any solutions on line. Have turned computer on and off - have wired mouse to other ports but still all the same. Any help out there...
  5. Mouse freeze

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse freeze: Each time I restart Win 10 it reloads a mouse driver for a mouse that is not installed and that causes the one mouse I do have to freeze occasionally. The mouse I do use is installed on a USB port and the errant mouse loads into Position 1, whatever that means. I have...
  6. Mouse Freezes

Mouse Freezes: My mouse freezes every time you leave it still. It doesn't respond for a solid 2 seconds no matter how hard you move it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-freezes/677efede-5f6d-48cf-9cf6-e032e713047d
  7. mouse freeze

mouse freeze: loads of people ask my why does that happen simple solution to it all in the startup you have some autostart elements these will cause the system to stutter simple solution open run type msconfig press enter goto services hide microsoft services then...
  8. Mouse freezes up. Have to restart to activate

Mouse freezes up. Have to restart to activate: Mouse freezes up in windows 10. Have to restart to activate. Have tried both Bluetooth and USB mice. Also different brands. Any ideas? I have a Lenovo ideapad 330S running Windows 10 Home Version 1903. This was occurring before I updated to Ver. 1903....
  9. mouse freezing

mouse freezing: Why is my mouse freezing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/mouse-freezing/771686c4-97e8-4ee9-a476-80590aef1c64
  10. Freeze with mouse activity

Freeze with mouse activity: Hey guys, another member suggested I post this here and let you guys take a look. 102443