Windows 10: Freezes in login screen of Safe Mode. Works ok in normal mode

Discus and support Freezes in login screen of Safe Mode. Works ok in normal mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have this problem and do not know how to solve it. For some time and up to now I can’t enter in Safe Mode. I can login normally in normal mode,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkbluesky, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Freezes in login screen of Safe Mode. Works ok in normal mode

Hi

I have this problem and do not know how to solve it. For some time and up to now I can’t enter in Safe Mode. I can login normally in normal mode, but when I restart and boot in Safe Mode (safe mode, safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompt, it is the same), few seconds after appearing in the login screen, Windows freezes. I can type the password + Enter fast and then I see the desktop, but it just then freezes, or I can type slowly and it will freeze during typing, or do nothing and wait in login/lock screen and it will freeze after few seconds...

I have made chkdsk c: /f /r at boot, all is ok!, I have done from admin command prompt sfc /scannow and all dism scan check and restore, everything is ok...I am desesperate as I need to make some tasks from safe mode (clean uninstallations, or simply to have it available in case of problem in normal mode!), and I can’t use it at all!

I have win10 pro with last updates.

Please could you point me to some solution or hint? Thanks a lot!

:)

Darkbluesky, Jan 27, 2018
  2. DJSummitt Win User
    DJSummitt, Jan 27, 2018
  3. Win10 Freezes in Normal mode not in Safe Mode

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after
    the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32
    and click OK . Place the cursor on
    System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save.
    Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.
    The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two
    for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your
    System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type
    eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do
    not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Jan 27, 2018
  4. Freezes in login screen of Safe Mode. Works ok in normal mode

News: I have found that removing 2 (1 set) of the 4 sticks (8Gb total) of DDR, safe mode boots correctly. Checked also, that if I plug them again, safe mode won’t work. Then I have swapped sets, even mixing them with no luck. What bothers me is that these 4 sticks pass prime95 blend test in Windows normal mode (not safe mode).

The timings are auto and voltage to OCZ Reapers specs 2.1v. Tested also with specs timings entered by hand in BIOS (just in case). Do you have some suggestion? I have not changed them, they were working in safe mode as well as normal without issues even in games even OCed, and from Windows10 day one...This last Fall Creators Update has broken this, I think.

What can I do?

Darkbluesky, Jan 27, 2018
Thema:

Freezes in login screen of Safe Mode. Works ok in normal mode

1. Freezes in login screen of Safe Mode. Works ok in normal mode - Similar Threads - Freezes login screen

2. Black screen after login, Safe mode doesn't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after login, Safe mode doesn't work: Hi, hope you're having a great day. My problem with my laptop is after I login, it turns into a black screen. At first it seems fine, it loaded my dekstop shortcuts and wallpaper but the taskbar is not loading properly. After a few seconds, it turned into a black screen. The...
  3. PC freezes after login on normal mode but works fine in safe boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC freezes after login on normal mode but works fine in safe boot.: My PC freezes 1 minute after I login (cannot open or close anything, but cursor moves). However, it works fine when I boot into safe mode. I have tried disabling start-up services and other services and etc, but this only buys me like 4 mins after login, then it freezes yet...
  4. Unable to login in safe mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to login in safe mode: Hello, I entered safe mode to check some issue with my system however in spite of entering correct password (which is same as my Microsoft account password) the login screen shows incorrect password. I have tried safe mode with networking and my system is connected to...
  5. No login prompt/safe mode boot not working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No login prompt/safe mode boot not working: Hi, I just installed a new GPU and after rebooting my computer, I'm not being presented with a login prompt, when I interact with the PC it just goes to this screen and I am not able to progress further. I have tried multiple times the "shift" + restart method to boot the...
  6. Safe mode, not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe mode, not working.: I am using w10 x64 version 1803.I do not know why, but I find I can not access safe mode anymore, at "msconfig", the "Boot" options tab does not work, "Shift" during shutdown, there is no option to "safe mode". The code in cmd also does not work, it informs not find the...
  7. Login woes in Safe Mode

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Login woes in Safe Mode: I am working on a computer running Windows 10, 64-bit. The model computer is an HP 15-f211wm laptop. A friend brought it over saying there was a problem with sound and thought it may be infected. I saw Malwarebytes was already installed. I updated it using an ethernet...
  8. Login screen not appearing and safe mode doesn't work

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Login screen not appearing and safe mode doesn't work: Yesterday my laptop start up really slowly and i tried to disable all services through msconfig then restart it, the problem appear here. I cant login because login screen not appearing i tried to safe mode with Shift + restart, Shift F8 and F8 but doesnt work. I hope you...
  9. Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode: In MSconfig I set windows to boot into safe mode, now it will not boot at all. Previously it booted into normal mode. I used a Windows recovery disc from which the only option that works is the command prompt. From the cmd prompt I can see all of C: drive and also run...
  10. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...: Good Evening, I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were...