Windows 10: Freezing during boot + will not shut down. What is wrong?

Discus and support Freezing during boot + will not shut down. What is wrong? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My free upgrade from 7 pro worked well for one month, but has become increasingly unstable. Firstly the boot up screen before sign-in virtually freezes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by weary, Sep 10, 2016.

1. weary Win User

Freezing during boot + will not shut down. What is wrong?

My free upgrade from 7 pro worked well for one month, but has become increasingly unstable. Firstly the boot up screen before sign-in virtually freezes - the circulating dots stutter and almost stop - I do not know if it eventually boots because I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then it seems to re-boot semi-successfully (what am I doing when I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete - I have no idea, it was an experiment?). The system then takes about 20 minutes to become truly stable. During that 20 minutes most operations, but particularly browsing and application start-ups are erratic. Finally, I cannot power down through Windows; I have to use the Power button to turn the PC off. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a Dell Studio XPS i7 Q820 @ 1.73Ghz, 8GB ram, 250GB SSD.

:)

weary, Sep 10, 2016
  2. KennyBarr Win User

MICROSOFT EDGE WILL NOT SHUT DOWN

EDGE FREEZES I TRY TO SHUT it DOWN BUT IT WILL NOT I have to restart my computer to get gone how do I fix this please

KennyBarr, Sep 10, 2016
  3. PC does not shut down requires forece shut down

Hi

I thought that the Microsoft Update for last Tuesday had cleared the problem as after booting up on Wednesday morning (when the updates completed the installation process) I shut the PC down on Wednesday evening and it did not try to restart before I wanted
    to. On Thursday morning when I did press the power button it went through the boot up process as it was supposed to right to the sign in screen and worked OK in that session.

However when I closed the PC down Thursday it shut down as normal but during the early hours (I believe between 02.00 and 03.00 GMT) the PC tried to boot up again and froze as previously before the sign in screen. Again holding the power button in until
    it shuts down completely and then restarting allows the normal boot up procedure to take place.

The only other thing that was different at the time the update was loaded was that I have a couple of USB drives permanently connected as I use files from these on a regular basis and only disconnect when I take them to use on a laptop. I am not sure that
    their presence is connected as until the PC switches on they have not power.

So I am still at Square 1.

Regards

Smudge'sDad, Sep 10, 2016
Thema:

Freezing during boot + will not shut down. What is wrong?

1. Freezing during boot + will not shut down. What is wrong? - Similar Threads - Freezing during boot

2. freezing and shutting down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    freezing and shutting down.: I have windows 11. My computer is frequently freezing and or on occasion it just shuts down without notice or pattern. Sometimes i must do a hard reboot as the task manager wont reset. Or when i go to my task manager i see so many programs running and have no idea what they...
  3. freezing and shutting down.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    freezing and shutting down.: I have windows 11. My computer is frequently freezing and or on occasion it just shuts down without notice or pattern. Sometimes i must do a hard reboot as the task manager wont reset. Or when i go to my task manager i see so many programs running and have no idea what they...
  4. What causes pc to freeze Not shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What causes pc to freeze Not shutting down: Hello friends. I just bought a gaming computer and after 2 or 3 days started to freeze. i give back to place i bought it and they said its motherboard and they gave me another one. Next day same thing happened can anyone help me please. when it freezes everything seems normal...
  5. What causes pc to freeze Not shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What causes pc to freeze Not shutting down: Hello friends. I just bought a gaming computer and after 2 or 3 days started to freeze. i give back to place i bought it and they said its motherboard and they gave me another one. Next day same thing happened can anyone help me please. when it freezes everything seems normal...
  6. What causes pc to freeze Not shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Shut down during updates now unable to boot up

Shut down during updates now unable to boot up: I work for a nonprofit and this isn't my laptop/ I haven't laid eyes on the device myself.A client closed their laptop mid-update, then brought the device home and now it will not boot up/restart.Before this happened, they told me that they never performed system updates as...
  8. Hard shut down during boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard shut down during boot: I booted my computer, and it just stucks at one of a directory. So I did a hard shut down and when I start my computer again. It leads me to automatic repair, it says my computer didn't start correctly and I try resolving it. Until now, I still can't find a way to fix my...
  9. shuts down as it freezes

shuts down as it freezes: I can only have it up for 5 min maybe. Then it freezes up, after a few moments it shuts it self off and need to restart. This computer is not used very much at all. I am a Senior, and use it to pay bills, and shop once in a while....
  10. Windows 10 sometimes 'freezes' during shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 sometimes 'freezes' during shut down: On a few occasions over the time I have had this pc, it will 'freeze' during shut down - the spinning dots animation will stop spinning and nothing more happens until I hold down the power button on the box, which forces it to turn off. It always works fine after I turn it...