Windows 10: Frequent Black Screens Before and After Clean Install

Discus and support Frequent Black Screens Before and After Clean Install in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been struggling with my computer display for over a week now. At random times the display will shut off entirely, the sound will loop for a bit,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MalunSum, May 20, 2016.

1. MalunSum Win User

Frequent Black Screens Before and After Clean Install

I've been struggling with my computer display for over a week now. At random times the display will shut off entirely, the sound will loop for a bit, but the LED's on both my mouse and keyboard stay on. I thought that this was a corrupted driver problem so I reformatted my SSD that had Windows 7 on it and upgraded to Windows 10 with a clean install. nvlddmkm.sys was pointed to in the crash dumps on my Windows 7 installation. The clean install did not fix the problem, however, and my display still crashes every 1-2 minutes, rendering my computer near unusable. Luckily, safe mode seems to be keeping my display alive long enough to create this thread.

My system specs are:
    CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
    MoBo: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/06/14 14:17:13 Ver: 04.06.05
    Drives: (1) ST1000DM003-1CH162 (2) Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (this is my SSD that I wiped)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 10586 Multiprocessor Free

I've been carefully monitoring my gpu temperature, as I've heard that that can be a cause of these crashes, but my temp peaks at around 70C, so I doubt that's it. Also, like I said before, I performed a clean install of my entire OS so I'm skeptical to believe that it's corrupted drivers. I'm really at a loss as to what could be the problem, so help from you lovely people would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post of this kind, so please let me know if any more information is needed.

:)

MalunSum, May 20, 2016
  2. azroach Win User

Why does it take 2 minutes to start Windows 10 after clean install?

I just did ANOTHER clean install of windows 10 and BEFORE I installed any updates, it booted fast. The black screen was only there before the log in for seconds. AFTER installing updates, it now boots slow again and the black screen lasts longer....

What a load of BULLSHlT... I don't even have any applications installed.
    Frequent Black Screens Before and After Clean Install [​IMG]

azroach, May 20, 2016
  3. Plateam Win User
    Windows 10 Black screen before lock screen (after boot, no cursor)

New info:

Okay i did the **** clean install, and now, if i install my network drivers from CD, two minutes and i get black screen again.

After redoing clean install, this time disabling windows updates before installing network drivers, everything is fine and working.

So i can't even enable windows updates when i'm connected to network, because that will give black screen problem again.

Plateam, May 20, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

No dumps in the zip file, and it looks like your system is not activated:

SL_LICENSING_STATUS_NOTIFICATION 0xC004F034

Are you running any programs that cleanup the hard drive like CCleaner? If so it is deleting the crash dumps. Please stop using them for now then run until a new BSOD occurs then re-run the collection tool and upload a new zip file here.

Ztruker, May 20, 2016
  5. MalunSum Win User
    I'm aware that my system isn't activated, but getting my win7 activation to transfer is rather low on my list of priorities at the moment (at least until my computer stops crashing!). I'm not running any programs like CCleaner, my C: drive has very little on it because I just reformatted it. I do find it quite odd that I don't have crash dumps, though. If it's not producing crash dumps when I black screen does that mean the problem lies more in the hardware?
    Thanks for your response, by the way.

MalunSum, May 21, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    A black screen isn't the same as a blue screen, the reason why a dump isn't saved
    Safe mode doesn't need the GPU, Windows will use the built-in drivers for display.
    We'll need a bit more information from your system like what PSU you're using and what cooling you have.

Is the temperature you mentioned from your CPU or GPU?
    Have you tried to reseat the GPU or seat it into a different slot?
    What monitor are you using?
    Have you checked if the cable from the GPU to the monitor is in good condition & properly connected?
    What driver versions have you tried?

Please update the BIOS to version 2501.

For the sake of ease with troubleshooting when we need to have your system specs and there are multiple pages, going to the first post a lot of times is pretty annoying:
    Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely including PSU, cooling system & other used stuff. The PSU, cooling system & other used stuff are NOT mentioned in the tool.How to fill in your system specs:

7. MalunSum Win User
    1) I monitored the temperature of both my CPU and GPU, but the temperature that I mentioned was for my GPU.
    2) No, I haven't. Not sure why I didn't try this.
    3) I'm using two monitors, my main one is this and my other one is an old Samsung TV. I disconnected the TV to troubleshoot.
    4) I have. The cable looks fine and is securely connected.
    5) I've tried 365.19 and 365.10. I started crashing the day 365.19 came out so I thought rolling back to 365.10 would fix the problem but it didn't.

My cpu cooling is this, and my PSU is this. I was a little generous on the wattage to leave room for upgrades and prevent problems like this.

I realize now that this thread is becoming more of a hardware discussion rather than BSOD analysis, so I apologize for putting it in this section.

MalunSum, May 23, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

BSOD analysis can be software & hardware discussions, BSODs are caused by software & hardware to be very generic.

axe0, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Frequent Black Screens Before and After Clean Install - Similar Threads - Frequent Black Screens

2. Black screen after before/after factory reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after before/after factory reset.: Hello,So i am having a black screen issue where i can see my cursor and see a pop up box in the bottom left that says NVIDIA Control Panel is not found click here to download from microsoft store. this all started from a simple restart, once it was booting up after restarting...
  3. Black screen after before/after factory reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after before/after factory reset.: Hello,So i am having a black screen issue where i can see my cursor and see a pop up box in the bottom left that says NVIDIA Control Panel is not found click here to download from microsoft store. this all started from a simple restart, once it was booting up after restarting...
  4. Black screen after before/after factory reset.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Frequent Black Screens BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent Black Screens BSOD: Over the past couple of months, I've been experiencing constant black screening. I could be watching a video, browsing the web, or playing a game and out of nowhere my PC will freeze, causing my displays to go black. No matter how long I wait it out, the displays will stay...
  6. Black screen after clean windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after clean windows 10 installation: Im installing an SSD on my dads old dell pc. But Im getting a black screen after install and restart. What should I do? Steps taken: 1.Boot to bios and change 1st boot order to usb thumb drive 2.boot from thumb drive and install windows 10 pro 3.after installation...
  7. Black screen on startup after clean install windows 10

Black screen on startup after clean install windows 10: need a little help here please. Im trying to re install windows 10 on a different hard drive I have. I downloaded the media tools, and created a USB boot drive. windows went through the install and restarted. but the drive keeps looping back to the install. when I shut the...
  8. Frequent BSODs even after clean install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent BSODs even after clean install: Hey everyone, Posting here looking for some help, now I'm a pretty tech savvy guy, have been building/ fixing computers for over 8 years, however lately my computer has been giving me nothing but trouble. Basically I am getting random BSODs, several unique ones, also...
  9. Black screen windows 10 clean install

Black screen windows 10 clean install: Hi i have tried two clean installs onto 860 evo ssd with windows 10 home one with internet connected and one with out. The install with internet connected gets all the way to entering my phone no. and At the end of the install then reboots to black screen with no cursor or...
  10. Black screen after clean install

Black screen after clean install: Hi, i recently install Windows 10, search updates and install it, so Windows update install the drivers for my gtx 1060, later i restart the pc and a black screen show with only the mouse pointer... I went crazy and now i format all again... I try to install the nvidia...