Windows 10: Frequent BSOD memory_management

Discus and support Frequent BSOD memory_management in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When you were in the windows advanced troubleshooting menu to choose restore were you not able to choose either 1) startup options then safe mode with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by redlum, May 11, 2017.

1. zbook New Member

Frequent BSOD memory_management

When you were in the windows advanced troubleshooting menu to choose restore were you not able to choose either 1) startup options then safe mode with command prompt? or 2) command prompt opening Administrator X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe?
    The restore option unfortunately leads to a loss of the mini dump and little progress is made in the troubleshooting.
    Whenever you have a bsod please post a new zip:
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums
    Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

zbook, Aug 18, 2017
  2. redlum Win User

Safe mode with command prompt had the same problem - hanging windows logo.

If I can get option 2) to work what should I be doing if I get it open? I don't see a BSOD so I'm guessing there's nothing in the mini dump folder?

redlum, Aug 18, 2017
  3. zbook New Member
    To turn off windows driver verifier there are 3 methods in the link in post#29.
    1) startup options (not startup repair) > save mode with command prompt > type: verifier /reset
    2) command prompt > Administrator X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > type: verifier /bootmode resetonbootfail
    3) restore

Please post an updated zip.
    Please see post #20 and post images of the drive testing.

zbook, Aug 19, 2017
  4. redlum Win User

Hi zbook,

2)worked! Please see attached zip. No new minidumps were created when booting with driver verifier enabled though (the most recent dump on the 19th happened prior to this testing).

Thanks
    George

DESKTOP-L224S2J-Sun_20_Aug_101607_15.zip

redlum, Aug 19, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Okay.
    If you use DVD Fab Passkey by Fengtao Software please uninstall and reinstall it.

zbook, Aug 19, 2017
  6. redlum Win User
    It's not essential so I've uninstalled it.

What next?

redlum, Aug 19, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Restart windows driver verifier.
    Later in the day I'll check in to see if there are any bsod mini dumps
    Please post images of the SMART tests on the drives.
    Error scans etc.

zbook, Aug 19, 2017
  8. redlum Win User

I setup verifier again and it still hung on the windows logo.

Driver selection:

Frequent BSOD memory_management [​IMG]

I reset the verifier and decided to add the non MS drivers one at a time until it worked/hung. Arbitrarily I selected the OpenVPN tap0901.sys and got a DRIVER VIOLATION within seconds of desktop loading.

I've attached new dump/logs: DESKTOP-L224S2J-Sun_20_Aug_141721_24.zip

Many thanks
    George

redlum, Aug 19, 2017
  9. redlum Win User
    Attached are HDTUNE HDD tests

Hope this is what you are after

redlum, Aug 19, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    There was 1 bsod mini dump file debugged which displayed: tap0901.sys

Open Asus web site > enter serial or product number with operating system > view drivers > identify TAP ethernet driver
    Using device manager uninstall Tap ethernet adapter tap0901.sys
    Reinstall from Asus website

Report into the thread the duration of the windows icon hangs with rotating dots. When and how often do they occur? Is it only with windows driver verifier?

Code: tap0901 TAP-Windows Adapter V9 TAP-Windows Adapter V9 Kernel Manual Running OK TRUE FALSE 4,096 16,384 0 21 Apr 10:10:05 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tap0901.sys 4,096[/quote] Code: BugCheck C4, {2002, fffff80fa2f88aa8, 10, 0}*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for tap0901.sys*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for tap0901.sysProbably caused by : tap0901.sys ( tap0901+8aa8 )[/quote] tap0901.sys TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 or
    OpenVPN driver or COMODO Downloads or Comodo Discussion Board and Support Forums | Comodo Community registration
    Code: Event[67]: Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 2017-05-06T14:38:48.161 Event ID: 7045 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-L224S2J Description: A service was installed in the system.Service Name: TAP-Windows Adapter V9Service File Name: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\tap0901.sysService Type: kernel mode driverService Start Type: demand startService Account:[/quote] Code: Name [00000001] TAP-Windows Adapter V9Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3Product Type TAP-Windows Adapter V9Installed YesPNP Device ID ROOT\NET\0000Last Reset 20 Aug 14:14Index 1Service Name tap0901IP Address Not AvailableIP Subnet Not AvailableDefault IP Gateway Not AvailableDHCP Enabled YesDHCP Server Not AvailableDHCP Lease Expires Not AvailableDHCP Lease Obtained Not AvailableMAC Address ‪00:FF:40:6C:27:42‬Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\tap0901.sys (9.0.0.21, 26.50 KB (27,136 bytes), 17 May 13:27)[/quote]

zbook, Aug 19, 2017
  11. redlum Win User
    tap0901.sys relates to the VPN client I use. I have removed it as it is not essential and I could bring back into the mix later.

Despite the above, I still hang at the blue windows logo when I enable Driver Verifier (with all non MS drivers checked).

The hang is just the windows logo only (no spinning dots). This only happens when driver verifier is enabled. I have never seen this happen before. The only time this has not happened with driver verifier enabled is when I (completely randomly) ticked only the tap0901.sys driver for verification.

Do you want me to enable non MS drivers one by one?

redlum, Aug 19, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    How long is the hang?
    Is it tolerable or intolerable?
    The tests that were ran, scannow and restorehealth did not display integrity violations but parts of the operating system and registry are not checked or fixed by running scannow or restorehealth.

If you start from a clean install "vanilla install" with windows updates only and no drivers or applications installed this is the best starting point for testing hardware.
    For the software issues now please perform an in place upgrade repair:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Let us know what happens to the Microsoft icon hangs. Did they disappear, get worse, or remain the same after the in place upgrade repair.

zbook, Aug 20, 2017
  13. redlum Win User

Hi zbook

Maybe 'hang' is the wrong word...the system just wasn't getting past the Windows logo at all with verifier enabled. I had to reset twice to get the startup/recovery options and then disable verifier.

Anyway, by enabling drivers one by one in Verifier I eliminated the driver that was causing the above issue (pxhlpa64.sys) and with that removed now the system doesn't 'halt'(?) at the windows logo with verifier enabled.

In fact, I instantly got a driver verification BSOD - the log and crash dump for these are attached.

If there isn't anything in this dump that helps I will try the 'Repair Install'.

DESKTOP-L224S2J-Thu_24_Aug__84631_14.zip

redlum, Aug 23, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    The driver that you uninstalled was:

PxHlpa64.sys Sonic CD/DVD driver (used by many different CD/DVD programs)
    The driver that caused the latest bsod was: atikmpag.sys
    Please update the AMD drivers.
    The best way to do this is to uninstall everything of AMD using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from your Graphics card manufacturer or from the AMD website. When you do this be sure the "clean install" box is checked and only install the Graphics driver.
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/https://...se.html?filter[2]=Hardware%20and%20Drivers

Code: Event[14229]: Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 2017-08-10T19:03:23.143 Event ID: 7045 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-L224S2J Description: A service was installed in the system.Service Name: amdkmdapService File Name: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys[/quote] atikmpag.sys ATI Video driver (remove the Catalyst Control Center and only install the Display Driver) AMD Support and Radeon Software Driver Download
    Get from OEM for laptops
    Code: amdkmdap amdkmdap amdkmdap Kernel Manual Running OK TRUE FALSE 8,192 368,640 0 30 Jan 16:04:58 C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys 4,096[/quote] Code: Name ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL V)PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68C8&SUBSYS_240A1002&REV_00\4&31024D2F&0&0018 Adapter Type AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68C8), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible Adapter Description ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL V) Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes) Installed Drivers aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,amdxc64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,amdxc32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll Driver Version 15.201.2401.1010 INF File oem6.inf (ati2mtag_EvergreenGL section) Colour Planes Not Available Colour Table Entries 4294967296 Resolution 1680 x 1050 x 60 hertz Bits/Pixel 32 Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xFBFFBFFF Memory Address 0xFBE20000-0xFBE3FFFF I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000EFFF IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967292 I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys (8.14.1.6463, 498.52 KB (510,488 bytes), 16 Dec 19:07)[/quote]

zbook, Aug 23, 2017
  15. redlum Win User
    Hi zbook

The AMD GPU drivers are already the latest version - should I still do another clean install of the current driver?

Also, any thoughts on why it always seems to be the graphics driver, despite installing a different brand of card (have always had an Nvidia GPU in there, up until a couple of weeks ago)?

redlum, Aug 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Frequent BSOD memory_management - Similar Threads - Frequent BSOD memory_management

2. Frequent BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT: Some days before I was having frequent Bad_Pool_caller BSOD, so I did a clean Windows Install. After some days MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Bsods also became frequent.The Dumps - https://file.io/i3lchveDK2JS...
  3. Frequent BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT: Some days before I was having frequent Bad_Pool_caller BSOD, so I did a clean Windows Install. After some days MEMORY_MANAGEMENT Bsods also became frequent.The Dumps - https://file.io/i3lchveDK2JS...
  4. Semi-frequent BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x1A

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Semi-frequent BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x1A: Hello! I have been getting intermittent BSOD on Win 11 for some time now. I've tried clean install, and it is still happening. Fearing that it might be a hardware issue, but I'm not sure. Looking at the dump in windows debugger, it looks to me like either a bad memory stick...
  5. Semi-frequent BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x1A

Semi-frequent BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x1A: Hello! I have been getting intermittent BSOD on Win 11 for some time now. I've tried clean install, and it is still happening. Fearing that it might be a hardware issue, but I'm not sure. Looking at the dump in windows debugger, it looks to me like either a bad memory stick...
  6. Frequent MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSODs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSODs.: Hello, I have had quite a history with BSODs. A few months ago, somoene here helped me find out that the faulty RAM modules were the reason for the BSODs, with all sorts of codes including MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. So anyways, I bought new G.Skill 32GB DDR4 RAM and everything seemed...
  7. Frequent MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSODs.

Frequent MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSODs.: Hello, I have had quite a history with BSODs. A few months ago, somoene here helped me find out that the faulty RAM modules were the reason for the BSODs, with all sorts of codes including MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. So anyways, I bought new G.Skill 32GB DDR4 RAM and everything seemed...
  8. BSODs frequently occuring: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READ_ONLY_MEMORY,...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODs frequently occuring: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READ_ONLY_MEMORY,...: Hi, recently I've been encountering BSODs quite frequently, sometimes it may even occur every 12 hours. It happens when I'm playing hardware-demanding games but it more frequently happens when my PC is just idling or doing non hardware-demanding work. Can anyone identify the...
  9. Frequent various BSoD - MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION - Error Code...

Frequent various BSoD - MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION - Error Code...: I've been receiving a number of blue screens of death. The most common messages are MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION, although I believe there have been some other Stop Codes as well. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, which noted "Hardware problems...
  10. Frequent BSOD when gaming (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT)

Frequent BSOD when gaming (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT): Hello, For the past few months I've been getting frequent BSOD, happens mostly when i am gaming but also happens once in a while when just streaming videos or surfing the web. Things i have tried: Ran Memtest86 and Windows memory diagnostic multiple times on each ram...