Windows 10: Frequent BSOD on Thinkpad X200 tablet with two screens

Discus and support Frequent BSOD on Thinkpad X200 tablet with two screens in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago, and have been experiencing frequent BSOD over time for different reasons. Attached is the log of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by i2000s, Aug 24, 2015.

1. i2000s Win User

Frequent BSOD on Thinkpad X200 tablet with two screens

Hi,

I upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago, and have been experiencing frequent BSOD over time for different reasons. Attached is the log of the last one I just encountered today (there are also dumps from some of the earlier BSODs). It occurs when I am not by the computer as usual again. This time, my external monitor was plugged in but not switched on as an extended monitor. Before this one, the BSOD were usually coded as CRITICAL PROCESS DIED or SERVICE error or similar for different reasons. But most of them occur when there is no activity on the computer for a while. My external Dell monitor was usually plugged in as the extended monitor. Those BSOD also caused some hard driver errors which I have fixed yesterday. It also cannot automatically login despite I have set it up.

Basic info on my computer: Lenovo Thinkpad X200 tablet, with Mobile Intel 4 Series chipset of graphics card. From my device manager, I didn't see any obvious problem with drivers so far. Intel does not provide a proper graphics driver for WIndows 10, but I want to use OpenGL.

Hopefully you can help me figure out what's the problem and how to fix it. Thanks.

:)

i2000s, Aug 24, 2015
  2. JoeNamco Win User

windows 10 updates

Your best bet is to stay on Win 7 as looking at the blogs and forums for that model is showing lots of issues ( here is just one of many

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-10/Thinkpad-X200-Tablet-Using-Windows-10-Full/td-p/2081968
    ) trying to get Win10 to work properly which tells me it's not a MS issues as much as it's a system that is on the lower end of the specifications
    chart, also did see where people were having better luck with the 32bit version of Windows 10

JoeNamco, Aug 24, 2015
  3. "Program is too big to fit in memory"

When I open my .exe file from apache, it says "Program is too big to fit in memory". Since it was a .tar.gz, I had to convert it and I did it with WinZip. After I converted it, I tried to open it but the command prompt opened and said "Program is too big
    to fit in memory". The command prompt closed a second later.

Any help?

Lenovo Thinkpad X200 Tablet

Windows 10 (recent upgrade)

Thanks,

Luke

Also posted on "Program is too big to fit in memory" - Lenovo Community

qq410219243, Aug 24, 2015
  4. i2000s Win User

Just got another BSOD while I left my office for a while. Attached is the dump file.

PS: I tried to read the dump file by installing windows debugging tools, but I got the "win32 error 0n193" error. I tried to use the x86 windbg.exe, no success. If anyone can point out how to read the dump file by myself if analyzing the dump file will take a while, I would appreciate it!

i2000s, Aug 24, 2015
  5. derekimo Win User
    I saw your post on SF about the Windbg, maybe trying the W10 version and following this tutorial will help,

WinDBG - Install Configure - Windows 10 Forums

You shouldn't need to download symbols if you have the path set correctly.

On to your dumps, your second upload is corrupted but there's a clear culprit in all your dumps,

Code: BugCheck 3B, {c0000096, fffff8012654223e, ffffd00023e0ae30, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Tppwr64v.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Tppwr64v.sys Probably caused by : Tppwr64v.sys ( Tppwr64v+223e ) Followup: MachineOwner Loaded symbol image file: Tppwr64v.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\Tppwr64v.sys Image name: Tppwr64v.sys Timestamp: Wed Apr 17 05:14:17 2013 (516E9219) CheckSum: 00007261 ImageSize: 00008000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote] Which is the power management port driver.

You can see if this fixes it,

Lenovo Power Management Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit), 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Laptop - Lenovo Support (US)

Your specific model (X200) isn't listed but is listed in the readme.

derekimo, Aug 24, 2015
  6. i2000s Win User
    @derekimo, I just followed the Windows 10 instruction on installing WinDBG, and not I can read the .dmp files *Smile Thanks!

On the BSOD, my model x200 only occurs in the Windows 7 system list of the README file. Anyway, I have installed the new driver, and will report back when the screen turned off in a few minutes under current setting.

i2000s, Aug 24, 2015
  7. derekimo Win User
    Glad you got the WinDbg working, You're welcome. *Smile

Yeah, I saw that it was listed under win 7, but it's that driver in every dump so it's worth giving a try.

derekimo, Aug 24, 2015
  8. i2000s Win User

Turns out, that driver does not solve the problem. It just crashed again while the screen saver was starting. Seems the same problem happened (see dump).

Can I do anything for further tests? Or, is there any way to modify the current driver to make it work for Windows 10? I guess the Power Management driver provided by Lenovo may only work for Windows 7 on my machine...

i2000s, Aug 24, 2015
  9. derekimo Win User
    It doesn't look like it actually updates the driver,

Code: Loaded symbol image file: Tppwr64v.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\Tppwr64v.sys Image name: Tppwr64v.sys Timestamp: Wed Apr 17 05:14:17 2013 (516E9219) CheckSum: 00007261 ImageSize: 00008000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote] Is there a program installed for power management? You may want to uninstall that to test if helps.

derekimo, Aug 24, 2015
  10. i2000s Win User
    Seems there is a Power Manager software from Lenovo to serve as a UI. Now I am uninstalling it...

i2000s, Aug 24, 2015
  11. i2000s Win User
    So far, no BSODs show up! Several rounds of screen saving sessions have passed. I guess it works for me. I just found a few small issues, like the short key (Fn+F7) to switch the dual monitor modes stop working; I cannot set the starting & ending points to charge the battery. But I think those are fine for me.
    @derekimo, thanks for your careful analysis! I will tell the solution to other Thinkpad X200 users who have similar problems.

i2000s, Aug 24, 2015
  12. derekimo Win User
    You're welcome. Hopefully they get that sorted out so you can use it again if you want.

derekimo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Frequent BSOD on Thinkpad X200 tablet with two screens - Similar Threads - Frequent BSOD Thinkpad

2. BSOD on thinkpad X1C10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on thinkpad X1C10: Hello,I am headache at the BSOD on my new thinkpad X1C10.It is a brand new laptop and have many BSOD errors. I have sought help here before in this...
  3. BSOD on thinkpad X1C10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on thinkpad X1C10: Hello,I am headache at the BSOD on my new thinkpad X1C10.It is a brand new laptop and have many BSOD errors. I have sought help here before in this...
  4. Frequent Black Screens BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent Black Screens BSOD: Over the past couple of months, I've been experiencing constant black screening. I could be watching a video, browsing the web, or playing a game and out of nowhere my PC will freeze, causing my displays to go black. No matter how long I wait it out, the displays will stay...
  5. BSOD on Lenovo Thinkpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD on Lenovo Thinkpad: Minidump here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApNJF0_XGrKQ7Gn3DPcz0LSrVVgu?e=ybrYydI am connected to a Thinkpad thunderbolt dock with 2 external monitors.Appreciate any feedback....
  6. Frequent BSOD for the past two days.

Frequent BSOD for the past two days.: Here's my pc setup: EVGA GTX 1060 3gb vengeance 3000mhz 8x2 gb DDR4 ram 250gb SSD(Boot drive) + 1 TB HDD Ryzen 1500x GA-AX370m Till 2 days ago my new pc was running just fine, it had had two bsod's in the past but they got fixed pretty quickly. All of a sudden the bsod...
  7. Lenovo X200

in Windows 10 Support
    Lenovo X200: I have a Lenovo X200 laptop I got at a garage sale for a crazy price of $5.00. It has a 2.4 C2D processor, 8gb of ram, had 4 when I got it but had the 8gb laying around so installed it, a 80gb hd which I am going to change and had windows 7 pro on it now has windows 10 pro...
  8. Bsod help frequent blue screens

Bsod help frequent blue screens: So I get a lot of driver irql not less than or equal stop codes this wdf01000.sys is what failed this time. Sometimes I do get other bsod but this one is most common 115095
  9. Bsod help frequent blue screens

in Windows 10 Support
    Bsod help frequent blue screens: So I get a lot of driver irql not less than or equal stop codes this wdf01000.sys is what failed this time. Sometimes I do get other bsod but this one is most common 115095
  10. Need advice for using Windows 10 Pro on a Thinkpad X200 Tablet.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need advice for using Windows 10 Pro on a Thinkpad X200 Tablet.: Ordered an old Ebay refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad X200 Tablet to replace my too slow Dell ST2. It has 4GB ram and has been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I intend to clone the HDD to SSD. Can anyone here advise on any issues and recommended drivers? I know it's old school,...